Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

NY Times Science Times section Alopecia Areata article

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Ms_Understood, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Happy New Year everyone.....!!

I’m quite surprised no one here has noticed this! This past week, I got backed up with reading my weekly newspapers...though I came across this article on Dec 31st while skimming some sections of the NY Times.

This article was in the Tuesday Dec 28th Science Times section of The New York Times. (Why the website article says: "Published: December 27, 2010", I have no idea.)

It seems there is a breakthrough with Alopecia Areata!

A female professor of dermatology announced the discovery of the markers implicated in Alopecia Areata. Hopefully there will be some breakthrough news soon re Androgenetic Alopecia and other forms of hair loss.

According to this article Alopecia Areata has connections with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Type 1 diabetes and Celiac Disease!

The female professor admitted, had she not been afflicted, for two years, with Alopecia Areata herself, her interest wouldn’t have been as intense!

She appears to have very thick hair in the accompanying photo, so apparently her bout with Alopecia Areata wasn’t as severe as others have had.

Here's a bit of the article:

Q. When were you able to actually do the study?

A. In 2008. We published our findings this past July. Ours was the first study of alopecia to use a genome-wide approach. By checking the DNA of 1,000 alopecia patients against a control group of 1,000 without it, we identified 139 markers for the disease across the genome.

We also found a big surprise. For years, people thought that alopecia was probably the stepchild of autoimmune skin diseases like psoriasis and vitiligo. The astonishing news is that it shares virtually no genes with those. It’s actually linked to rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes 1 and celiac disease.

Q. What will this new information mean for patients?

A. It should have amazing benefits. There are existing drugs on the market for several of these diseases. Based on the overlapping genetics, we have a chance of pushing forward with clinical trials for potentially effective drugs much sooner than we’d thought. One approach would be as a new indication for an already approved drug.

Going the other way, our research opens up possibilities for the three related diseases. With them, till now it’s been hard to study aspects of how the immune response goes wrong because it is difficult to biopsy the pancreas or a joint. But now researchers might be able to use a patient’s skin, a much more accessible organ.

Already, the finding has helped with diagnosis. At Columbia, we have large clinics for diabetes and celiac disease. Since we’ve published our paper, those clinics are asking patients, “Have you experienced hair loss?†About 10 percent say, “Oh, yes, I lose hair in clumps.â€

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/scien ... ef=science

2. Jubilee

Jubilee Guest

3. Guess I missed the fact that this information was already posted, because I searched under 'NY Times Alopecia Areata Science article' before I posted, nothing showed up, it could be that the Search option here doesn't work properly?

There are times I search certain topics, yet nothing shows up....when clearly there are tons of threads on a specific subject I'm looking for.

No matter who posted the links first.....it's still great news for women with Alopecia Areata.

4. moviegirl

moviegirl Guest

Hi,

Many thanks for informing this forum about this news!!

Happy New Year!
    Moviegirl

5. Jubilee

Jubilee Guest