Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Off of Spironolactone!

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by mrvitous26, Mar 2, 2016.

1. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all,

So I have been using Rogaine, 5% twice a day, and taking 50 mg of Spironolactone for close to 3 years now (WOW doesn't seem like it has been that long), and I have been having quite a bit of success. I would say that I have grown back the majority of my hair... however I have recently decided to go off Spironolactone, and here is why:

Since I started Spironolactone, I noticed increased sensitivity to my skin but I didn't think anything of it because I was willing to do pretty much anything for my hair at that point. I have noticed certain things:

-Skin tingling sensation. :(
    -Dry mouth and thirst
    -Dizziness, unsteadiness, and headache
    -Heart palpitations
    -
    Drowsiness, tiredness, and restlessness
    -Increased confusion... Which I didn't think anything of at first because I have been dealing with stress, and I am an anxious person to the begin with, so I cannot be certain that this is a side affect.
    -Skin is so sensitive that I have noticed red spots appearing out of no where, and break through with my skin. I know a lot of people on here say it helps their skin and makes it look clear. Well my skin was super clear to the begin with since I was on Accutane in the past. My skin definitely feels thinner, and I get cuts and breakthrough skin. (i.e. at the gym during a plank my arms are on a towel, and my skin gets very irritated on my elbows.)

I suspect that Spironolactone hasn't been doing anything, and that my success is from the Rogaine alone, however, I do not know this for a fact obviously... I wish that I would have just tried the Rogaine first, to see if it worked on it's own. I saw my dermatologist yesterday and she said that the drug isn't causing any of this... I would say that she is full of crap and that it is, because I noticed some of these side affects after taking the Spironolactone... Just my $$0.02.. Of course she would never admit to any of it... They are constantly pushing drugs. Initially when I began this journey, I noticed a lot of shed the first 5 months or so, then little to no shed for the following 5 months or so, then A LOT of shed again between August of last year - now. Hair is coming in... So I can't even say for sure that Spironolactone helps me really with shed???:(
    :hmmm:
    My concern is, that I hate taking pills, and I need to know if I even need to be on Spironolactone... This really sucks and I hope to God that my success continues.:$

The final straw for me is the last two weeks I have been having lots of red spots appear, some raised, some flat, and I had a huge red spot on my leg that turned into what looked like a serious infection, but it wasn't... It was burning and so I saw my primary doctor because I was really concerned, and she gave me a steroid cream... My dermo said I wouldn't react to Spironolactone like this since I did "fine" in the beginning... Sure I wasn't noticing as many weird things happening then, but they were certainly still there...

Any comments that you may have would be appreciated. How many of you are on Spironolactone or have went off, or are considering going off and trying the Rogaine alone?

My thought is I give this a try for at least a few months, and I can revisit going on it again. I know that I need to give this a chance, or else I will always wonder if I really need to be taking it...:(

Thank you for reading,

-Michelle

- - - Updated - - -

I also wonder if increased hair loss/shed is a result of taking Spironolactone... It seems like no one knows for sure, and everyone reacts differently!! How incredibly confusing. :( I am strong, I can do this... is what I have to tell myself. I am just grateful that I was on such a low dose...

- - - Updated - - -

Also, you are not supposed to eat protein while on Spironolactone, from what I hear. This has been an issue for me as I am very active at the gym, and I need protein. :(

I know that we are all desperate to fix our hair loss, but ladies... please be smart... and consider what you are getting yourselves into. These side affects, warnings, and precautions are serious and shouldn't be taken lightly.

2. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi there! You bring up many concerns that I have as well. I recently started using 5% Rogaine 1x per day. So far, so good. But I have also been on Spironolactone since June, started low & now have been on 200mg since nov. Since on the 200mg dose, I've seen a bit of improvement in my hair (I think). I was on 150mg for a while & the 200mg seems to really have a positive effect. However, I'm concerned about my overall health now. The Spironolactone has caused (we think) some increases in some of my non hair related labs, and I can't be on that dose forever. That's why I started Rogaine, in hopes that in 6 months, I can at least cut my Spironolactone dose in half.
    Spironolactone has been great at giving me beautiful skin & cut oil production down to zero, but I don't want to have a heart attack either :/

3. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Sheeny. Message me and keep me posted. Spironolactone definitely causes other issues.. Too many in my opinion... I am trying to be healthy and active and I feel like the drug leaves me with little no no energy... of course it probably affects me more because I struggle with depression and anxiety to the begin with... Depression is another known side affect. I just can't do this anymore so since I have had a lot of progress I need to give this a try now...

- - - Updated - - -

I am not trying to freak anyone out... I just have been taking this drug long enough and I have been ignoring the side affects... It's important to understand what you are getting yourself into...

4. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    What's this about Spironolactone and not eating protein?? None of my doctors have told me that and I've never read it anywhere??

5. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, I also ignored the side effects (I didn't really start to see/feel them until I went up to 200mg), but I'm worried about them now. I also run daily & I'm concerned about my heart. I have been drinking tons of water, at the suggestion of my endo, and that has really helped.
    She told me she is ok with me continuing to take it, but at some point the risks will outweigh anything positives so I should keep that in mind.
    I've seen some results already with Rogaine, probably more in 6 weeks than the 8 months I've been on Spironolactone. So I'm hoping I can just use Rogaine & maybe only be on a super low Spironolactone dose in the fire. I'll def message you & keep you posted. Please do the same- I'm very interested in your journey! Take care

6. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Potassium is what you need to watch out for (which I'm sure you already know!). I can't think of why you'd need to restrict dietary protein just because you're on a potassium-sparing diuretic as long you're otherwise healthy with fully-functioning kidneys. Protein restriction is very uncommon.

7. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, I knew about the potassium, just had never heard of protein being bad on Spironolactone. Potassium is everywhere but I do my best to avoid it. I don't ever eat bananas lol!

My doctor has said that Spironolactone is relatively safe. I guess what matters though is how a person responds to it, I for example don't have any negative side effects, only thing was menstrual dysfunction at first, now I just experience breast tenderness sometimes and increased urination (I'm on 100 mg.) Spironolactone has done wonders for my skin! I hope I can stay on it.

To the OP, you may be right in your estimation that it's mostly Rogaine helping you with your hair, I say that only because you were on 50 mg Spironolactone, and I've read that it's anti androgenic effects don't manifest until 100 mg. Not sure how true that is though. Anyway I wish the best for you!

8. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing... I just don't know if the risks are worth it... For some of us Rogaine may be best on it's own.

- - - Updated - - -

For all I know maybe that's why the pill has been making me sick. I am very active at the gym so protein is essential. My endocrinologist told me to stay away from protein.

- - - Updated - - -

I will keep you all posted. Honestly I have been feeling sick for a while. I thought it could be from the stress but I think it's more than that. I am pretty healthy. I exercise daily. There is no reason I should be feeling so fatigued.

Another side affect of Spironolactone - depression. I just don't think it is good for me to be on it. I think it will be interesting to see how my hair holds up. After being off of the Spironolactone for about a week, I do feel better...

9. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am so glad you feel better!!!! And I am hoping your hair just flourishes even more now.

Interestingly, my endo too spoke about Spironolactone and protein intake--this was last year. (to recap I never went on it)

I think there is some merit there.

10. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Wolf,

Thanks. It feels risky going off of Spironolactone after all of the progress I have made. I am trying not to think about it... It really came down to my health and Spironolactone was definitely making me feel sick.

Here's a few things I learned though:

-Take Spironolactone at the same times everyday with food.
    -Avoid protein... which again for me this is a problem as I am trying to build muscle. I think Spironolactone takes it away. It makes me feel so warn out however I just pushed through.
    -If you miss a pill, don't make up for it when you take it the next time. This is overdosing...

Just a few tips should I choose to go down this path again.

How I am feeling right now:

I'm terrified. All I can do again, is think about my hair and what is going to happen. I know stressing wont help but I am so scared.

See attached pic of red mark on my leg... Folks: this was my last straw. I haven't been feeling good but my skin irritation was really bothering me... It has went away.

And a relatively recent picture of my hair...

-Michelle

- - - Updated - - -

Okay can't post pics with my phone. Stay tuned.

11. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all see attached, for recent photos. The red mark on my leg was weird. I also had redness all over my body which has cleared up since I stopped taking Spironolactone, a little over a week ago.

I am not sure what is going to happen, but so far so good.

-Michelle

- - - Updated - - -
    1756.jpg 1646.jpg 1583.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Having a lot of trouble adding attachments here...

Attached Files:

12. Jenk

Jenk Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Spironolactone is basically the same crap that is in birth control pills. Over all I have read that it disrupts ovulation (you can't get pregnant on it?) and doesn't even work very well. It's alarming to me that they would ask you to stay away from protein. My trichologist has me taking gelatin protein and asks me to eat as much protein as possible and she stresses that this is very important.

13. mrvitous26

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to think that the Spironolactone wasn't working but it seems to be... Unless it was just a coincidence, I was noticing an increase of shed when I tried going off of it. I was only off for two weeks... Now I'm back on again...