Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

One more important question

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by joan, Dec 28, 2010.

1. joan

joan Guest

I have a question that I have yet to ask my docotrs. If you develop PCOS and don't treat it with birth control - than how do you treat it? I know some take insulin meds but if you are not IR or can't get on the med, then what? Do your symptoms keep getting worse? I really don't want to take BC. However, at age 40 I have developed really oily skin and scalp, hairloss, some body/facial hair growth. Does this thing hit you like a ton of bricks like this - and what the heck is coming....I am so scared.

2. Kay777

Kay777 Guest

hm. i have PCOS and will not be taking anything for it at this time. i have always eaten pretty well, but i am doing even more to limit unnecessary sugars and carbs in my diet. this will be my 'treatment' of choice, as my blood work doesn't really show insulin resistance per se.

best,
    kay

3. Kay777

Kay777 Guest

also i should point out that my gyn and endo both offered to have me take Spironolactone and some other med for excess hair (i forgot the name of the second med, sorry! i think it was topical). i declined Spironolactone since i was on finasteride at the time. now i'm off finasteride and feel psychologically better (less headachy, more sharp), and i don't feel like messing with that again by taking another anti-androgen. mind you, my testosterone levels are not that high at all.

best,
    kay

4. joan

joan Guest

Kay,

why do you think you PCOS? Are any of your levels high? What is your T score. Mine went from a 31 to 51 in a few months. My DHEAS also increased. How are you attempting to control your hairloss and hair growth?

5. Kay777

Kay777 Guest

hi there,

my gyn diagnosed me with PCOS because 1) i have cysts around my ovarians 2) i have excessive hair in certain places (not majorly excessive--just atypical for women) and 3) i have male-patterned baldness. that is enough for the diagnosis. i was told they don't use the FH/LSH ratio business any more to make a definitive diagnosis.

i was taking finasteride for a few months but stopped out of fear of future side effects as well as noticed side effects since i started. i was told that i could take Spironolactone and yaz, but i declined both. i also declined minoxidil. so, i'm not doing anything in particular but trying to take supplements (iron, biotin, etc) and potentially modifying my diet to be PCOS friendly.

best,
    kay