Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

oral minixidol update

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by AnitaC-D, Apr 1, 2016.

1. AnitaC-D

AnitaC-D New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone, just wanting to update my experiences on oral minixidol. Very happy 9 months on, my hair growth is good and really thickening up my scalp feels normal and way less shedding. Im also taking biotin, aldactone, and rubbing rosemary essential oil on to scalp at night (very small amount). After years of rubbing minixidol on my scalp and having a very sore and itchy scalp, I highly recommend oral minixidol capsules - wish I had done this years ago!!

2. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much for the update, Anita. That is beyond excellent news. Very, very happy for you. I have been really interested in feedback from oral minoxidil users--especially anyone that has been a long time user of topical minoxidil. I have already ordered mine online and will begin shortly.

Can you give me a little background on how long you used topical minoxidil? Was it two years straight or off and on? And you feel the results you are getting from the oral is superior? So fantastic. What is your dose and are you having any side effects?

3. AnitaC-D

AnitaC-D New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Megan lovely to hear from you, I'm on 1mg of oral minixidol which a compounding pharmacy make up for me approx $100 for 100 capsules (Australia). I had used topical minixidol for approx 10 years as well as taking spironaldactone 100mg. On a couple of occassions I stopped using topical minixidol due to the itchiness of my head etc and thinking maybe I'd been misdiagnosed and didnt really need it!! wrong!! massive shedding each time. I dont seem to have any side effects from oral minixidol so far very happy with the way things are going. Hope you also have very positive results Megan :)

4. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oral minoxidil is theoretically much, much more effective than topical (for responders.) One thing to be aware of though is that you will almost certainly grow more body hair.

5. scorchy

scorchy New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Anita,
    so glad this is working well for you! I'm Aussie also and didn't realise it was an option. How did you transition from topical to oral? Did you wean off one as you increased the other? Glad to find more options
    aj

6. hopeon

hopeon Member

Dislikes Received:
    How long in between did u stop taking the topical minoxidil to see the massive sheds? Did u stop for a day or two n noticed huge increase? Or more like a month of stoppage? If u dnt mind May I ask how old u r n when Did the hair loss start for u?

7. AnitaC-D

AnitaC-D New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I havent experienced excessive body hair to date and Ive been taking oral minixidol for 9 months :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi AJ, My dermatologist recommended it( I have been seeing him for over 10 years )- it is a recent treatment for alopecia. I transitioned straight from topical(foam) to oral 1mg

- - - Updated - - -

More like a month before the shedding. Im 55 and hair loss started approx 15 years ago. My hair loss pattern is mainly from underneath like an undercut :( I have straight hair and the new hair growth comes back wavy and eventually straightens again

8. Kate10

Kate10 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm on oral minoxidil too - having great success with hair growth and yes an increase in peach fuzz on my face but I'd take that side any day to have regrowth on my head.

I do wish people who hadn't tried oral minoxidil or other treatments, wouldn't insist on saying negative things about the drugs. Most drugs have sides, it's just a question of weighing up the pros and the cons. The negative hype can dissuade people from trying effective treatments.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

9. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oral minoxidil users: Do you find it works better than topical or about the same?

10. AnitaC-D

AnitaC-D New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well said Kate and Im glad you're having success with your hair growth! :) I dont like taking drugs - I lead a healthy life of good food and exercise etc but the hair loss really challenged me especially as it was out of my control. I feel so much happier with the results Im getting from the oral minixidol :)

- - - Updated - - -

I have found oral minixidol to be more effective than topical

11. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    AnitaC--I sent you a private message. Did you receive it? I don't mean to publically call you out, I'm just uncertain if that function works. haha:))

12. AnitaC-D

AnitaC-D New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Megan, I've sent you my email address hope you get it - Im finding this website very confusing to use!!

13. CLC

CLC Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had no idea you could take it in an oral form. Can it be done in the US?

14. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Probably not, if you were able to find a doctor to prescribe it, it would be off label, most likely wouldn't be covered by insurance, etc. However, you can buy it dirt cheap from an online pharmacy (shipping would be the only kinda expensive part, since most of them ship from India.)

15. CLC

CLC Member

Dislikes Received:
    Online foreign pharmacies are gambling with your health. No thanks! :)

16. Jane13

Jane13 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, i'm Aussie too & i've been diagnosed with CTE and possible FPHL. I've been taking 100mg Spironolactone for 1 month and 1mg Oral Minoxidil for just over 2 weeks. I'm worried about the 'dreaded shedding stage'. I can't seem to find much information about Oral Minoxidil online. Did you experience shedding after starting Minoxidil? If so, when did you start to experience increased shedding? How long would you say the increased shedding lasted for? It's given me hope to here your success since you are on the same combination of meds as me.

Tricia likes this.
  17. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Jane,

My name is Tricia. I'm highly considering Oral Minoxidil after breast cancer. Can you give me an update? tricia.b.west@gmail.com

18. Barbarina

Barbarina Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Dear Jane !

Are you taking oral minoxidil every day ? And did you have any side effects, like wather retention ? I googled it up in some other forums and found this info.

19. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I thought oral minoxidil is not good for the heart? and it causes hairy body...Thats at least is what i have gathered reading the mens forums over the years, never came across anyone taking it long term due to side effects...eveyone who takes it winds up stopping...if they are *FUS* or unwell before hand I have no idea.
    Not criticizing anyone taking it successfully here--I am just really genuinely surprised a medical Dr is prescribing this medication.

20. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    sorry FUS was supposed to be FOS..(full of shit lol)...I hate that there is no edit button on this forum wtf?