Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Part 2

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by DonnaL, Sep 7, 2013.

1. DonnaL

DonnaL Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Original thread: http://www.heralopecia.com/interact...s-end-and-a-photo-journey?p=220904#post220904

I hope it's ok that I post another thread. I really wanted to show a more accurate representation of my hair and the lighting in the other photos just doesn't do that. Also, keep in mind that in all these photos I am using concealers... so the loss is even worse than what it looks like. You can even see in that first photo where I didn't do a very clean job blending the concealer into the sides of my little poof. Even these are more forgiving than reality. My "poof" is not that dense- you can see right through it in fact. The photo of my sink is just the hair than came out the other day when I took my hair down from the clip to put in a ponytail... i didn't even brush! And a hairball that size comes out several times a day! That's a couple hundred hairs right there. I don't count anymore but I've got real good at estimating from the days when I was counting.

- - - Updated - - -

Ugh, I don't even like looking at those. See that first photo really gives you an idea of how bad my hair really is. The others are a little more deceptive :/

Attached Files:

2. Din

Din Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Donna,

I think you are a beautiful stunning girl. I think your hair loss kind of looks like mine. I have no idea what I have or why after almost 4 years it is not letting up. And like you, I can totally relate to everything you say. However, i really donèt think you need to shave your hair. Your hair looks good, and even though you know you have hair loss, most people not going through hair loss will never look twice. I often think of doing that also, just because I have had enough and feel that I cannot take the shedding anymore, but I think that once we do that its a whole other ball gam, so I will wait to do that when the time comes. Its funny, I wear my hair the exact same way you do now. I wear it up in a cli^p. cant wear a ponytail, too thin and also I cannot deal with hairs all over me. That way if I put it up, I dont have to worry about finding hairs everywhere. I have not worn my hair down in almost 3 years and it kills me, because I miss being who I was, I hate wearing my hair in the same stayle every day, I am tired of it all. but it is what it is, nothing we can do about it and hopefully it will stop one day. we can only hope. But I do want to say that you are very beautiful so keep your head up and hopefully things will work out for you. I am sorry about your dad and your troubles. Like we need any more heartaches as if hair loss is not eonough. But just be strong. things will be better soon, they have too, just never lose hope.
    Hugs to you,
    Din

3. madhatter

madhatter Guest

I have felt the same way!

Hi Donna,

I can totally relate to your story. It started after I had a miscarriage when I was 26. I started noticing my hair falling out in handfulls. I hated looking in mirrors and brushing my hair only to see gobs of it in my hairbrush. My family and friends would say it looked fine but inside I felt terrible about the way my hair looked. I tried rogaine but I hated the way the liquid felt on my head and I hated the fact I had to even apply it in the first place. Just another reminder of what was happening to me! I felt a sense of panic and dread every time I saw or thought about my hair and I decided to seek help. My hair was very similar to yours and I too was constantly counting hairs. What really helped me, was when I found this forum three years ago. One girl was talking about toppers and showed a picture of herself wearing one. It looked great and super natural and I knew that I had to try it. I was skeptical though, and I didn't want to trade wondering if people were looking at my terrible hair for wondering if I was wearing a wig!! Without telling my family, I went to go see Flora. She popped a topper on and took what was left of my front hairline and blended it together and I couldn't believe what I saw. It looked liked my hair used to look when I took it for granted. When came home and saw my sister she even said "your hair is looking really good these days!" She was shocked when I told her that it wasn't mine! I didn't have to shave my head, I could take it off whenever I wanted to and no one even knew!

Have you considered trying a topper? They are really good for people who still have some hair but need extra fullness. You can blend your existing hair in with it and it looks quite natural without having to go for a full wig. It is amazing how well that they can match any color and once you get something that blends in well then you will find that you can go out in public and stop worrying about it! A topper has less hair than a wig so that when you combine it with your own natural hair, you don't get a dense wig look. I think that when you are experiencing hair loss, the scary part is not knowing when it is going to stop and not knowing how to fix it. For me, getting a topper was my solution. I didn't have to worry anymore about my thin hair in public. I focused less and less on how much I was shedding since I found a solution, even if the worst were to happen. I think that we need to do whatever gives us our confidence back. Just know that there are things to try before you shave your head!! You dont even have to go with Flora. There are lots of great options out there! I plan on trying Featherlite for my next one!! I know that you will find a solution that works for you. It just might take some time!!

4. Hi

Thanks for sharing your story and all the pics
    it helps us all feel not so alone in coping with hairloss

If I were you I would look into a topper

something with a nice silk parting in the top so you can have the part line you cant have now.

I would do it now while your hairloss isnt so bad....the transition wont be so noticeable and you can just tell people you got hair extensions (thats what I did) and people who didn't know me before are none the wiser !!

Eventually as you get used to your topper you will get more adventurous....I now have a topper and hair extensions in the back of my hair and my hair is really really long. I thought if I have to have all this hair I may as well have hollywood hair !!

5. DonnaL

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you everyone for the support. There's a handful of reasons that I'm anti-topper for myself. For starters, my hair shedding is out of this world right now and wearing a topper would mean all those darn hairs would be shedding all over me... I can't handle that. It also means that my hair is very fragile... it comes out in clumps and can't stand the abuse of clips. Another huge issue on the topper front is that I have burning scalp pain with my loss, so clips would just be torture.
    So a topper is pretty much out of the question unfortunately :/

6. CKingAnswers

CKingAnswers Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh my gosh, just looked at your pictures here and on your other post. You are stunning, so pretty! You're doing a good job with the concealers. My hairline is the same. If I do a poof like that mine is also dense and see through, I feel for you. It drives me crazy and I am so sick of it. But you are doing a good job.

7. DonnaL

Dislikes Received:
    You're so sweet, thank you. I feel so... ugh.. "ick." This hair is going though! I'm done with the torture. Gonna shave it and get my life back!