Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

PCOS after menopause

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by Hjärnröta, Nov 4, 2010.

1. What happens with PCOS after menopause? Will things get to be like for everyone else, or do PCOS-problems stay?

2. kimm

kimm Guest

I'm curious about this myself.

I *think* I've managed to fairly stabilize my PCOS for the moment. However the body is a changing thing and I know that in the next 5-10 years I could be seeing changes as I near perimenopause (scary to think I'm that close! I don't feel that old!)

One good site to visit is called Soulcysters.com. There is a ton of info there. It's mostly younger women, but women of all ages visit and post their personal experiences.

I haven't been there in a while, but if you don't get answers here, you might try there as well.

3. Thank you! I will check there too.

I really hope I will be normal in hormones after menopausal. But I do not have bad blood work now though, but MAYBE PCO/PCOS. I had great ratio between testosterone and SHBG, and FSH/estradiol.

IF my possible PCO ovaries is causing me trouble, I hope they will be normal "sleeping ones" after menopause.

4. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Well,the last roomate I had had PCOS too so did her 5 sisters (yeah 5) and her mother.
    She told me her mother continues PCOS treatment after menaupose.
    It makes sense since when you have menaupose you start to exeprience PCOS like symptoms even if you dont have PCOS : the decrease of the females hormones can't counteract androgens anymore, of course symptoms (unwanted hair and hair loss) occurs in woman sensitive to androgens.
    So technically i guess you havent cysts anymore sinc eyou dont ovulate and your ovaries does not work the same way, but the hormonal imbalance is still there....couples with the imabalce of menaupose...
    also we have to keep in mind that in PCOS hormones are released by the ovaries but also by other glands...

5. kimm

kimm Guest

I hate PCOS. :badmood:

6. *hug smilie*

7. But doesn't testosterone come from the ovaries too? I have heard somewhere that menopausal women can experience sex drive loss due to lowered testosterone. Same article said these women had better sex drive when getting testosterone, and that they sometimes experienced hair loss, but no one thought that was worse than losing sex drive. I dunno, sounds like something is false there. NO ONE thinks hair was more important? Even some men take sex drive loss to keep their hair (using finasteride and such), and it's usually easier for men to lose hair (in general).

8. cwoc

cwoc Guest

As you get older, ALL sex hormones decrease, but progesterone and estrogen drop significantly. Your testosterone is lower, but you don't have the estrogen + progesterone to balance it out.

9. But would this really be worse for PCOS:ers?

In Sweden one can get bioidentical progesterone cream, but not oestrogen cream. In contact with health care, one can get ONLY synthetic meds. Wonder how it is in ten years, when I will start menopause.

In other countries in Europe, the bioidentical stuff are more spread.

10. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Women without PCOS becomes more sensitive to the effect of androgens due to the decrease of female hormones (that's why Androgenetic Alopecia often is unmask at menaupose!!) So i guess...will Androgenetic Alopecia get worse for a women with PCOS at menaupose.... most likely yes :$ . The women on my dad's side all lost their hair at menaupose not before, they had Androgenetic Alopecia.

Testosterone is not only produced by ovaries, it's also produced by the adrenal glands, and other glands in the body like I said before.
    The decrease in androgens in PCOS women is way less significant that in women without PCOS, then again there are as many PCOS cases as women with it.
    the mother of my friend was menauposed and still on antiandrogens(for hirsutism not hair loss)

you need to understand PCOS is a metabolic syndrome wether or not insulin resistance is present. It does not concern only the ovaries (otherwise let's get all an ovariectomy after we give birth and that would be the cure for severe cases)

http://pcos.insulitelabs.com/PCOS-and-Menopause.php
    http://www.gynob.com/effects-of-pcos-du ... opause.htm

11. Thank you for the explanation. Now I understand better.