Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

PCOS and cysts!

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by soul1111, Jul 22, 2013.

1. soul1111

soul1111 Guest

I see there is a lot of misconception in regards to PCOS and cysts in this forum.

Having cysts doesn't automactically indicate PCOS. Cysts in PCOS are different from ovarian cysts. And you need not have cysts in order to be diagnosed PCOS.

In every menstrual cycle, several follicles mature and only of them gets to be dominant follicle and the rest all shrink. The dominant follicle releases the egg into fallopian tube and this is called ovulation. In PCOS, the follicles don't mature i.e., the process halts w/o completion, no dominant follicle forms and hence no ovulation. These follicles show up as cysts (aka follicular cysts).

However, all women having PCOS may not have follicular cysts show up in ultrasound. The name PCOS is pretty confusing and the medical community is now planning to change the name because it causes misconception that cysts are a necessary part of PCOS.

Bloodwork on CD3 is the right way to diagnose PCOS.

I wish someone make correction if I have gone wrong anywhere and I request mods to make this one sticky....

TinaM1968 likes this.
  2. Sefie

Sefie Guest

I was diagnosed with PCOS, but it wasn't until 2 years and half ago that I started losing crazy amounts of hair. My doctor it was because I had cysts in both ovaries... so they were messing with my hormones and producing a crazy amount of androgens. Now I suffer from insuline resistance too, thanks to PCOS!

3. I agree that PCOS is a misnomer for this problem, since as you said you don't have to have ovarian cysts to have what they call "PCOS". I believe the general consensus nowadays is that it is ISNSULIN RESISTANCE that causes hormonal imbalance (or "pcos"). Cystic ovaries can be a symptom, but is not the cause.

4. samar2000

samar2000 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    From what I understand , when you have a high amount of androgens/testosterone, you have pcos. I have the symptoms of pcos, but my testosterone levels are fine. My cycles are normal, I have cysts, oily skin, SD,hair loss...
    could it be that if you are sensitive to DHT (androgens) , it can cause pcos? Maybe a dumb question, but I just like to know.

5. dyingcurls

dyingcurls Guest

Hello,
    If you have oily skin, hairloss, ect...it means you are sensitive to androgens.
    If you have cysts..if those cysts are similar to PCOS cysts, it can also means you have PCOS. You can also have PCOS with regular periods.

The labs set tresholds for androgens but those might differ from one person to the other sometimes....

If you dont have PCOS, you would certainly benefit from a PCOS treatment for your hair loss (birth control / Spironolactone).

It might also be that you are an an early stage of PCOS, plus hormones vary and your androgen levels at one times might be different at another given moment.

6. Malvika

Malvika New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hair shedding with ovarian cyst

Did your hair grow back
    I also have terrible TE and have lost 50 % volume already . Am scared now and want to know how and how much will it improve

UOTE=Sefie;221753]I was diagnosed with PCOS, but it wasn't until 2 years and half ago that I started losing crazy amounts of hair. My doctor it was because I had cysts in both ovaries... so they were messing with my hormones and producing a crazy amount of androgens. Now I suffer from insuline resistance too, thanks to PCOS![/QUOTE]

7. rwchdr

rwchdr Member

Dislikes Received:
    I just wanted to say there are other reasons for high androgens besides PCOS, for example Late Onset Adrenal Hyperplasia, Cushing's... I think there is too much focus on PCOS these days and testing for adrenal problems is rather rare...But it should be done, (especially when someone does not react to PCOS treatment as expected).

8. Sofia1980

Sofia1980 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I want to share my situation: I was diagnosed with PSOS but I have at maximum once cist on my ovaries (or non) which usually goes away with bleeding. I was told based on hormone testing I have PCOS syndrom due to inversion of the 2 hormones (I can look up which ones) but all other are within the range (including testosterone). I am treating PCOS with Belara (contraceptive pill) and it did help A LOT in condition of my hair beeing androgenetic alopecia. I am taking it for a year and 5 months now and am terrified what will happen when I stop taking it. My dermatologist says it does not have to be bad again, but I am afraid :(

9. anoli

anoli Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi, I was diagnosed with PCOS after ultrasaund this year. The reason for it was prolonged bleeding for 2 months after not having periods for 3 months. I had cyst on both ovaries. My TE is going on from 2013 and I lost 50 % of my hair. I got my diagnose just recently and only after I stopped birth control year ago. All the time before quitting birth control I was undiagnosed and did not know the reason for my hair loss. The doctor advised to treat my irregular periods with birth controll pills again and I did not follow that route. I am worried about taking it again, because my hair loss started while I was still on the pill. So I am taking supplements like prenatal vitamins, vitamin D ,Vitex and Ovasitol. Did any one have experience with Ovasitol? I am worried that it is not going to help me. I am not having my periods again for 2 months already and hair loss is not improving at all. This all is very frustrating and causing more stress. Maybe it's time to reconsider and follow the doctor's order with birth controll.