Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

PCOS and High White Blood Count

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by deb35, Jul 26, 2011.

1. deb35

deb35 Guest

Does anyone with PCOS also have a high white blood count? I have been seeing a hemotologist for 3 years for a slightly eleveated white blood count and he can't find anything wrong with me. I am going to an endocrinologist tomorrow and hope he will do all the tests to help determine if I have PCOS. Along with the elevated white blood count I have hair loss and a slightly elevated free testosterone level. 3 years ago when I first noticed my hair loss I had acne. That has gone away and hasn't come back. Also, any advice on what tests I should ask for so I can make the most out of my appointment tomorrow?

Thanks
    Debbie

2. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Hi Deb35,

I have PCOS and I have not heard of this being one of the symptoms, but maybe it is. As I was doing some research online I came across something that might interest you. There is a condition called Cushing's syndrome, which shares many of the same symptoms of PCOS. Basically it can mimic PCOS. It's a pretty rare condition, but I wanted to make you aware of it just in case. I just ran across the following article that talks about how one of the symptoms of Cushing's is a higher white blood cell count.

See the link below and look under What are the symptoms of Cushing's Syndrome?

http://www.nadf.us/diseases/cushings.htm

Keep us posted! Good Luck!

3. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Hey,

I have PCOS too and havent heard about high white blood cells count being a symptom, just as the user above me said.

I agree with her too, maybe you should explore with your doctor others syndromes/imbalances that could be linked to it like Cushing.

Also, another very simple possibility could be that your body was fighting an infection (even a small cold!) the day you had your blood drawn...i might be wrng but it think in cases of a disease, virus or another kind of infections white blood cells increase.

4. deb35

deb35 Guest

Thanks Kristi and dying curls. I go to the endocrinologist today. I will definately have him look into Cushings Syndrome. I will keep you updated. I am so tired of going to doctors :(

5. deb35

deb35 Guest

I just got back from the endocrinologist. From my previous lab work and medical history he thinks I have a mild form of PCOS. He is having me do all the tests again as well as additional tests to rule out Cushing's Syndrome (which he really doesn't think I have because some of my results don't support this). I should have my results back on Tuesday. I keep you updated.

6. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Hi Deb35,

I am glad to hear that your doctor does not think you have Cushings. Did your doctor say why he thought the high white blood cell count might be related to PCOS?

Has your white blood cell count been elevated the entire 3 years, or just off/on during this time?

Another avenue you may need to pursue if you continue to have difficulty determining the cause of your high white blood cell count would be possible autoimmune diseases. They can cause all kinds of strange symptoms, even fevers.

Thanks for keeping us updated! :)

7. deb35

deb35 Guest

The endocrinologist said the high white blood count could be related to PCOS. I was first told of my high white blood count three years ago. Before that I wasn't really good about having blood tests. I requested my lab work that a doctor did in 2001 and found out they were slightly elevated then as well. I have been going to a hematologist for three years and he has tested me for every blood disorder and blood cancer. He concluded that my white blood count is just normal for me.

My PCOS symptoms are hair loss and excess facial hair. I also believe I am not ovulating every month but this hasn't been confirmed. When I was trying to get pregnant with my daughter I used an ovulation predictor kit and there were several months I didn't get the egg showing I was ovulating. My Gynocologist was going to do some testing but then I got pregnant so he never did. My total and free testosterone are in normal range but on the higher range of normal and my bioavailable was a little high. I had pregnancy induced hypertension with my daughter which can also happen with PCOS.

My endo is testing me for insulin resistance and some other things. I will let you know what he has to say when he calls me next week with my results.

8. dying curls

dying curls Guest

How wil he test you for insuline resistance?

9. deb35

deb35 Guest

dying curls,

He had be do a fasting insulin blood test. I am not sure if he is going to have me do additional tests. I will keep you updated.

10. dying curls

dying curls Guest

I'd like to be tested for that too but my endo say it's not necessary...

I think i am IR because when not treated i have acanthosis negrican...
    My endo does not like me to ask him things about pcos like "i read it's related to insulin resistance and diabetes, i heard it's genetic"
    and he will say "it's not genetic and there are not links to diabetes"
    i think he just want me to stay at my place.

11. deb35

deb35 Guest

My doctor was the opposite. He said it is important to test for it and even if I am not insulin resistant I should be careful by watching my diet and walking 2 miles a day. Maybe you should request your files from your endo and go to another endo to see if they have a different approach. Mine seems to be proactive about preventing things that could happen with PCOS such as diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.

12. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Well he did run other tests though but only things that you can check with blood. Some were supposed to show wether i was diabetic or not and i am not but i already knew that...

i have high cholesterol but it turns out i have an unusual very high amount of good cholesterol so there is nothing to worry about.