Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

PCOS and Weight Loss

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by Kristi, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Kristi

Kristi Guest

I was wondering for those of you with PCOS, has losing weight helped to alleviate any of your PCOS symptoms? If so, which symptoms improved?

I have been slowly losing weight, but I still need to lose more. I hear losing weight really helps PCOS, but so far I haven't really noticed any improvements in any of my symptoms. Do you have to lose a lot of weight to notice a change?

Thanks!

2. GeeGee

GeeGee Guest

I am also trying to lose weight and like you, so far I really don't see any improvements. My doctor told me that typically you would need to lose about 20% of the body weight before you start seeing a difference in symptoms. Hope that helps!

HUGS,
    GeeGee

3. VMmom

VMmom Guest

I've heard it helps many women a lot, esp when it comes to fertility. However for me, I am already very thin and still have symptoms. So getting thinner doesn't necessarily mean everything else will clear up.

4. Kristi

Kristi Guest

GeeGee - Thanks for the info. I am half way there, so hopefully once I lose the other 10% I will start to see improvement.

VMmom- Thanks! I am hoping that since I never had symptoms until I gained weight that losing weight will help me, but then again, I was on the pill back then and that may have been masking it the whole time. So hard to say, but keeping my fingers crossed!

5. VMmom

VMmom Guest

Yes, the pill will mask it all. I did not have PCOS before starting the pill. I took it for just a couple years, started at 18 and came off at 20/21. After I came off I got irregular periods and acne as my main symptoms. I never did gain weight though.
    It's now been 8 yrs since I was diagnosed. I resisted my docs recommendation to get back on the pill since I feel it caused (maybe triggered is a more accurate word) my PCOS. I have had 3 children on my own and now have regular periods. I do take 1000 mg of Metformin daily.

6. GeeGee

GeeGee Guest

VMmom - If it's not too personal, can I ask if you were using the Metformin when your little ones were concieved?

7. Kristi

Kristi Guest

For me, the only symptoms I had prior to the birth control pill was some acne when I was a teen and some bouts of low blood sugar. I went on the pill at 19 and came off at 24, so I could conceive. My cycles were completely normal again upon going off the pill as they had always been up to this point. After having my daughter at age 25 I went back on the pill. I did develop gestational diabetes during my pregnancy and gained 40 lbs. I lost 25 immediately, but I have struggled with this remaining weight since having my daughter. I think the gestational diabetes kick started my insulin resistance. Also, I gained 30 lbs when I switched from my Brand Name birth control pills to the generic at age 32. I was forced to switch because my insurance would not cover brand name if generic was available. I finally went off the pill this last time at age 36 and that is when the symptoms of irregular cycles, etc.. started. Now here I sit with my weight issues, but it's been much easier to lose weight now that I am on Metformin. I currently take 1500 ER daily with dinner, but my RE wants to check my fasting insulin again soon and may increase my dosage.

8. VMmom

VMmom Guest

I had been on Metformin less than 3 weeks when my first was conceived so I'm not sure I could contribute my success to the drug or not. When my 2nd was conceived, I was not on it. When my 3rd was conceived I had been back on it for awhile. I think Metformin helps keep my cycles regular; I'm not sure whether it's responsible for my pregnancy successes.

9. WorriedMom

WorriedMom Guest

For me, weight loss (I have been a yoyo dieter most of my life) always improves my cycles. Prior to finally going to the doctor, I never understood that. When my weight would get too high, my periods would stop. When I would make myself lose weight, they would resume. There is a 7 year age gap between my daughters and I realize now that it was probably beause of my weight. After the birth of my older daughter, I couldn't conceive. I discovered that even when I did have my period, I wasn't always ovulating (according to home monitoring). I accepted the fact that she would probably be my only child. I went on a diet and a couple of months later, I received the shock of my life when I found out I was pregnant.

10. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Thanks for sharing your experience. I sure am hopeful that my continued weight loss will benefit my overall health, and maybe even my hair :)