Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

PCOS Doctors

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by Rainbird984, May 15, 2008.

1. Rainbird984

Rainbird984 Guest

I was just thinking that it'd be nice to start a thread with PCOS doctors...

It can be such a confusing, hard-to-diagnose disease that having a list of supportive, knowledgeable docs would be nice...

I love:

Portland, OR
    Dr. Paula Amato
    Oregon Health and Science University
    OHSU Fertility Consultants
    (503) 418-3700
    http://www.fertilityoregon.com/clinic/staff.htm
    She specializes in PCOS and is very understanding and open to patients having input in their treatment plan. The practice is fertility-oriented but she has lots of PCOS-only patients too that aren't trying to get pregnant.

San Luis Obispo, CA
    Dr. Annemarie Tommey
    (This was my first good PCOS doctor, her info is currently off the web b/c she's out of practice right now for her own health reasons, but if she returns - and I hope she is able to, she is absolutely wonderful - I will edit the post and put her new contact info.)

2. mjh

mjh Guest

In Kansas City, I went to a doctor named Carrie Grounds. She was young and very clued into PCOS.

3. catfancy

catfancy Guest

Great thread!

I'm a fan of Dr. Robert Murray at the Polyclinic in Seattle. I wish he could help me more these days, but he's the first doctor I had who listened to me and made me realize I wasn't crazy!!
    He knows a lot about Hashimoto's and PCOS, too. http://www.polyclinic.com/FindaPhysicia ... icianID=78

4. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Well I havent found a good one yet. I'll let you know when I do. My endo doesn't know squat and doesn't seem to care either! Rainbird, I wish I lived in Oregon!

5. Rainbird984

Rainbird984 Guest

I know, it's so frustrating to have a doctor who isn't informed or caring! I went through several myself before finding a good one.

I am starting my hunt for a good one in the bay area or northern California since I'm moving to San Jose in August. I'll keep an eye out for you as I'm looking, and I'll be sure to post if I see a doctor who sounds good and is a little farther north and closer to Sacramento!

6. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Thanks! I actually have an app. with new endo this month, Im gonna ask about Flutamide, so we'll see how it goes. If I dont have any luck, maybe I'll consider driving to Oregon, I actually have family that lives there!

7. Rainbird984

Rainbird984 Guest

Oooh, good! I hope it goes well for you! Let me know if you like this one, I have some friends in sacramento so I'd be willing to drive there for a doctor too.

8. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Well I'd say my app. with my new endo went good!! I was surprised. He was very helpful and he let my bump up my Spironolactone dose, which my other endo wouldn't! I even bet he would have given me Flutamide if I had walked in crying about the hair loss. :)

9. angieangie

angieangie Guest

What's Flutamide?

10. kaylee

kaylee Guest

Its a strong anti androgen used to treat prostate cancer. Its stronger than Spironolactone but can in rare cases cause severe liver damage. So its hard to find a doctor to rx it. Alot of PCOS girls that use it have had wonderful regrowth, its a very strong drug!

11. mjh

mjh Guest

I recently moved to Austin, TX and I saw a great endo today named Dr. Melanie Spindler. I'm going to back soon for blood tests but she really knew about PCOS. I'm trying to conceive so hopefully I'll be able to take Met soon.