Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

PCOS, fertility and waist to hip ratio

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by dying curls, Mar 3, 2010.

1. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Hey girls,

I am not ttc yet, but i just turned 28 and i must admit that the prospect of getting pregnant someday keeps my mond busy since let's say a year of so....Even if i dont think this will happen before another couple of years.

So you know that PCOS can cause fetimity issues in some women.
    My sister has PCOS and other issues not related to pcos but affecting her fertility and failed to get pregnant in spite of multiple ivf..My sister is mostly asymptomatic except she tends to store fat on her tummy.

One of my cousin has PCOS too and got pregnant within the month she stopped the pill.My cousin has pilosity and skin issues due to PCOS but she has wide hips and a flat tummy.

I have PCOS , i dunno yet what will happen. Though i dont have per say wide hips, i have a low waist to hip ration and a tiny waist.

So medical websites keepd talking about this waist to hip ratio being an indicator of fertility...do you think it also is relevant for PCOS women.???or all of this is BS?

I think it is BS but if i compare my sister and my cousin it isn't...

2. alicat

alicat Guest

I think it's BS! But of course, being at a healthy weight is great for fertility whether or not a woman has PCOS or not!

3. ToTheLighthouse

ToTheLighthouse Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think it might be BS too.

Plenty of women with PCOS don't look like a textbook case as far as I can see. Also, if you are slim anyway I guess you can't tell where the weight would go until you put some on? Just a thought.

I wanted to post this link I just came across about a minor celebrity in the UK who is a sort-of model, has PCOS and got pregnant recently. You can't tell on the pix now she is pregnant of course but I'm pretty sure she had a flat stomach before.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ch-tweets-Im-soooo-happpy-Twitter-bikini.html

4. beachlover24

beachlover24 Guest

I dont have pcos( that I know of). My doctor refused to test me until next time because I didnt fit the typical look of PCOS. She handed me two packets abnormal uterine bleeding and PCOS and said " See you look much more like the abnormal bleeding young women". She then went on to tell me how I might have a hard time conceiving when I want to bc I am prob not ovulating all the time. It made me sad, but she said usually drugs that induce ovulation work in that case. Also, I dont know if waist to hip ratio really predicts fertility...as mine doesnt seem like it is going to be great. ( not that I think you really know until u try..I guess)as my waist hip ratio is low, like .7 .However, I didnt like the comments about appearance and PCOS.

However, once I wanted to an HIV test in college and my doctor told me I didnt fit the profile for that.. It was negative...but I feel lik docs r quick to write people off...to promoting health and everything.

Anyway. I dont know if any of that made sense, or if I am just going on about nothing.

5. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Oh yes i can tell where the fat would go!!! the little fat i have goes right into the top of my hips....with xmas, new years ect, if eat a bit too much i can see my hips growing by the seconds, i store everything there.

when my sister was slim, she had no hips, she still has not any now, everything goes into hertummy and bossom.
    my tumy and bossomare frail ...my hip and buttocks arent big but i can definetely see how they get bigger when my weight variate. the same occur if i loose weight i loose the hips first.

6. dying curls

dying curls Guest

yes i was in the same case as you were and it took me years to get a proper diagostic!

But i have enough of seeing this waist to him ratio everywhere on the web shown as the flag of fertility. eVERYTIME i wanna write to the person who writes the article.

7. kimm

kimm Guest

It took a long time for me to get diagnosed too.

I'm normal weight and my periods are regular.

But I do have it.

Most of my weight goes to my thighs. Well stomach now too, but that's after 2 child births.

I think they have some work to do in learning more about this syndrome.