Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

PCOS vs just polycystic ovaries

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by Kay777, Nov 3, 2010.

1. kimm

kimm Guest

There is in fact a test for DHT. You have to ask for it, and I've only really found more holistic doctors willing to test for this for some reason. It doesn't hurt to ask though. At the very least, make sure to get your free and total testosterone tested.

2. I will ask. I have found a doctor from who I can get tests done if I pay myself. But he don't like me to test, since he thinks I may become hypochondric :(

Testosterone is tested, but just free. Also tested LH, FSH, estrogen, progesteron, androstendione, DHEA, Prolactin and SHBG. Nothing was out of lab range. The female ones was just below middle in range, and the male ones just over middle. No one near end of range. Prolactine was low as it should. SHBG was great.

I will ask for retests, since I drank spearmint tea (1 cup per day) during last two tests. I just wonder how I am going to tell him why I want retest... :crazy: I think he will think I am crazy if I start talking about spearmint lowering testosterone.

3. Kay777

Kay777 Guest

i will definitely pay attention to the insulin resistance piece. thank you for that! if you treat the insulin resistance, how much hope is there that hair loss can be halted?

kay

4. Jubilee

Jubilee Guest

5. Thanks for the links!

I found this in the first of them:

6. Kay777

Kay777 Guest

well, it was confirmed--i do have PCOS officially. the hair loss, excess body hair, and cysts like a string of pearls around my ovaries was enough for the syndrome diagnosis. my gyn recommended NOT doing a lot of glucose related tests because of insurance reasons--once you have a preexisting condition, it's hard to be a part of new insurance plans. that said, i am going to do a fasting glucose test for my derm.

if anyone has any PCOS related advice related to diet or anything else, please share! i don't know what to think and am pretty overwhelmed.

thanks,
    kay