Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Perimenopause And Now Menopause And Thinning/receding Hairline

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by electra, Sep 13, 2020.

1. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone,
    My hair thinning became noticeable to me 6 years ago at 44. I had other symptoms of perimenopause then, too.
    Now I'm 50 and probably in the big M (ugh) and my hair recession/thinning is speeding up. Mostly my temples/front hairline--receding and thinning and I am starting to wonder if I need to use something.

I have Formula 82F (finasteride/minoxidil) but it makes me jittery (even though topical!) and Minoxidil does that, too....

But are these my answers?? I assume what i have is androgenetic alopecia, but maybe not the typical pattern? center scalp still ok, more recession from front and sides.

I've heard hormone therapy doesn't necessarily help, though I imagine it's the loss of estrogen that is causing this??

Thought I could just let it go because so unsure if anything will help / is tolerable, but...

Any thoughts, welcome! Thank you!!!!

2. Deirdre

Deirdre Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair loss started when I dropped my estrogen replacement dose down following a hysterectomy. I use Rogaine and dutasteride and am back on estrogen again. I know that Rogaine can cause the heart rate to go up along with palpitations but it hasn't bothered me. Since I don't have a uterus I can use estrogen without progesterone which is safer as far as breast cancer goes and topical is safer that oral. Or you might try spironolactone. I had issues with it.

3. 7680

7680 Member

Dislikes Received:
    I’m aged 62. I never noticed that my hair was drastically thinning, until 3 years ago. Was just going through all the photo albums, for a relatives funeral. Amazing how I didn’t see it happening earlier. My hair was a complete opposite from where it is now (long and fine, but lots of it). I now have a receding hairline and thinning throughout. Androgenetic Alopecia and FFA. It causes me great distress, I have been on 5 mg finasteride, 200 mg Spironolactone, clobetasol foam, pimecromilus cream (eyebrows) and doxy. Taking and applying all these meds requires a lot of time and planning. Perhaps it’s helping with less loss, but my hair isn’t thickening up. Taking all these drugs, scares the crap out of me.

4. electra

electra Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Deirdre,
    has anything helped your hair?
    I'm sure it's loss of estrogen that is causing my hair loss (well, I think it must be..??) but I've heard HRT doesn't necessarily help....
    Thanks!

5. Delaine

Delaine New Member

Dislikes Received:
    7680:
    I am also in my 60's and have noticed my hair really started to thin two years ago and rather quickly. I also have most of the noticeable thinning along my hairline, temples and top. I keep changing my haircut and style to accommodate my new thinning areas. I am afraid to go out in the wind in case my hair blows in the wrong direction. I was diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome which caused a ton of stress and I think the stress triggered the hair loss. I have been diagnosed with Chronic Telogen Effluvium but they took the biopsy from the back of my head which is still fairly thick. I suspect I have Androgenic Alopecia also because my hair is quite thin on top.

I noticed when my hair loss first started that the hair on the front sides and back got really frizzy very quickly before falling out. Also new hair in the temple area (indents at corners of hairline) grew in sideways and flat to my head. Also the hair on the sides of my head is growing flat to my head.

Has anyone noticed a change in the direction of their hair growth? It is so hard to get any lift to the sides of my hair now.

6. 7680

7680 Member

Dislikes Received:
    When I look at my temple and front crown, I have a line of demarcation and then a bunch of little hairs growing downward and close. I sometimes wonder “are they little hairs growing in or more hairs on their way out?” I highly suspect the latter. I can see more and more of my scalp on top, when I look through my wet hair. The quality of the hair that I do have is poor. Have to go through a long process of washing and styling to just look passable. Not sure when it’s going to be time to cut my losses and wear hair

7. Delaine

Delaine New Member

Dislikes Received:
    7680:

I am very similar to you. The long hairs along my hairline are slowly being replaced by short baby hairs and has affected most of my hairline now and up into both temples. I am also thinning on top and notice my scalp more when it is wet. I started using Rogaine 5% foam in July and only put it on a small area in the beginning to see how I would react. Everything went well and I noticed new hair growth so continued along the hairline and a little up into my bangs. I also put a small amount on my crown. I was using less than half of the recommended dose of Rogaine but even with that small amount I started having a reaction in my face. I get a tight pulling sensation which is a flare due to my Sjogren's Syndrome. I haven't had that sensation for about a year. I started getting some Rosacea type symptoms in April so I am assuming my issues are vascular and Rogaine being a vasodilator is aggravating a preexisting condition.

8. 7680

7680 Member

Dislikes Received:
    It’s terribly upsetting. Really takes a toll. I am contemplating bonding. I can’t find anyone within 1 1/2 hours, to provide maintenance. Not quite there yet.....but trying to plan ahead