Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Pictures Of my Alopecia Areata

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by haygirl326, Feb 17, 2011.

1. haygirl326

haygirl326 Guest

My Alopecia has been coming and going for 3 years now...this is the worst it has ever been. just took these pics this am right after I put my Olux foam on. Its patchy and diffuse (ugghhh!) Thank god for my topper! Does anyone else's Alopecia Areata look like this??
    :dunno: [attachment=0:17add5al]hair 3.jpg[/attachment:17add5al]

Attached Files:

2. haygirl326

haygirl326 Guest

a few more pics.....

Attached Files:

3. Nikoletta

Nikoletta Guest

Hi...thanks for sharing your pictures.

How were you diagnosed with Alopecia Areata...a biopsy? By the photos i'd say it's diffuse Alopecia Areata, or possibly advanced Androgenetic Alopecia? Have you been majorly shedding? Are you getting any new regrowth at all?

I'm sorry you are dealing with this. :thumbdown2:

4. haygirl326

haygirl326 Guest

Hi Nicoletta,
    I was diagnosed by a dermatologist who basically just looked at my scalp w a magnifyer...I had the exclamation point hairs.
    I asked this Dr (who btw has a wife and son who both have Alopecia Universalis) if I needed/should have any additional tests done and he said no.
    Could I possibly have a combo of both Alopecia Areata and advanced Androgenetic Alopecia? how is Androgenetic Alopecia diagnosed?
    Thanks somuch,
    Tracy

5. Nikoletta

Nikoletta Guest

Yes, it's possible to have more than one type of hairloss but that doesn't mean that ''you'' do.
    A biopsy can usually confirm if it's Alopecia Areata, but sometimes it's not conclusive.
    Are you shedding a lot? Have you done all the blood work, hormone test, and so on?
    Does anyone (women) have hairloss in your family? Then it could be Androgenetic Alopecia. Sorry about all the questions, i haven't read your story! :$
    I know that diffuse Alopecia Areata is rare but it is possible.

6. Nikoletta

Nikoletta Guest

Is the area where the loss is very smooth? Because that points more to Alopecia Areata.

7. haygirl326

haygirl326 Guest

mostof my bald spots are perfectly smooth but then I havve the diffuse crap going on all over the top of my head too!

8. Cas

Cas Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    If it's been coming and going for 3 years then I doubt its Androgenetic Alopecia.

9. FLgirl

FLgirl Guest

Thanks for sharing Haygirl. Sounds like your doctor was right, with the coming and going & with Androgenetic Alopecia, you don't lose at the nape of the neck (which I believe was one of your pics).

On a positive note... can you post the pic of your Flora! So glad you have a solution. :)

10. haygirl326

haygirl326 Guest

thats what I think too.... also the derm I went to specializes in this and also took extra special good care with me as his wife and son both suffer with Alopecia Universalis.
    This is the first year I am actually using medication (Olux Foam 5%) and I am hoping it just speeds up the time for new regrowth.
    For the past 3 years it has been growing back without any meds at all.... it just all falls out again 6 months later! So frustrating!
    Thank goodness for my Topper....!!!!
    oh ps I was using alot of toppik for the past 3 years and was able to get away with that.... now I am not using it at all and hope that helps w regrowth as well.....I have a feeling toppik clogs the hair follicles and may slow down regrowth (??) but I am not a dr lol

11. FLgirl

FLgirl Guest

I can imagine that is very frustrating having re-growth and trying not to get your hopes up... uggh!!!!
    I'm "faking" my front hairline w/ combo of Toppik and JR Good Hair day (Androgenetic Alopecia). Thanks god for the products we can use. :) I'll use them until I get a topper- then take a break too.

12. haygirl326

haygirl326 Guest

First I wanted to post pics of my hair BEFORE the shitstorm started then you can all cry with me! I had (HAD) the most gorgeoous hair ever :(
    Next I will post pics of the topper which you will see is much darker than my hair used to be because I had gradually gone darker due to the fact that I was too afraid to get my highlights done for the last 3 years

Attached Files:

13. FLgirl

FLgirl Guest

OMG!! You are stunning & gorgeous and your hair too!!! OK, I'm totally crying for you. I never had gorgeous hair... I can't imagine what you've gone through. I think it makes it harder if you lost gorgeous hair.

14. RugBug

RugBug Guest

seriously? Why does this hair loss situation happen to such drop dead gorgeous people? Is this supposed to be teaching humility or something? ugh...the good news is...yes, YOU are a beautiful woman! Ok, so your hair went away but without seeing photos of your topper (yet), I KNOW you are pulling that off perfectly well!
    You just hang in there, keep smiling that traffic stopping smile and live a happy life!
    (can't wait to see your topper pics later)

d

15. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tracy,

Thanks so much for sharing your pictures with us. You are gorgeous!!! :woot: I'm so sorry that you have to go through hairloss. :grouphug:

I'm not a doctor so anything I write here is just what I learned through the years of having Alopecia Areata, talking to others with Alopecia Areata and researching Alopecia Areata.

Alopecia Areata doesn't always present itself exclusively in bald patches. At 4 years of age my loss was very diffuse and severe. My parents eventually thought that shaving it all off would help so that's what they did.

I have learned that diffuse alopecia areata can mimic TE. One way doctors use to determine what kind of hairloss is to look for exclamation point hairs which your doctor did see. These are an indicator of diffuse Alopecia Areata. Pitted nails can be another indicator as can hairloss on other hair -bearing areas. I guess it's up to the individual whether you want a scalp biopsy. I never saw the need for one myself & neither did the derms or immunologist I've seen through the years.

I saw the immunologist to determine whether I had other autoimmune conditions because I did have the Alopecia Areata and hypothyroidism. She did a whole bunch of immune related tests and also diagnosed me with Sjogren's another autoimmune condition. The problem with all autoimmune conditions is that there are no cures for them only treatments to keep them on an even keel. When I was diagnosed with being hypothyroid my Alopecia Areata was in remission. When diagnosed with Sjogren's all my hair had already fallen out about 4 years previously.

I certainly know & understand how frustrating Alopecia Areata can be. The not knowing when if it will stop or how bad it will get is so very difficult to accept. There isn't a single person who I know with Alopecia Areata, including myself, who hasn't struggled with this aspect of Alopecia Areata. I find the parents whose children have Alopecia Areata have the toughest time and they often blame themselves for their childrens' hairloss. They want to fix things for their children yesterday. It breaks my heart to tell them there's no quick fix. Alopecia Areata often sorts itself out.

Still in the beginning we all have to try for our own peace of mind if for nothing else. It's hard to sit back, watch and do nothing. I can attest to that as I fought the battle for my hair for about 8 years.

In my Alopecia Areata support groups we compare Alopecia Areata with all it's ups and downs, to a roller coaster ride which we're all on together. We gave it the name "Hope" because regrowth and remission are always a possibility, even after years, if the immune system stops msitakenly attacking the hair follicles.

I had regrowth and remission numerous times throughout my life. Never say never with Alopecia Areata.

I think you are coping extremely well. Not everyone manages to forge ahead and get a topper as you have done. I have found though that the ones who are proactive about their loss do adapt and cope much quicker. Ultimately though others can empathize, help and support we have to take the first step to feeling better. No one can do it for us.

Hugs,
    Joann

16. haygirl326

haygirl326 Guest

My Topper :)

Attached Files:

17. haygirl326

haygirl326 Guest

dont know why my topper pics came out so small!

18. haygirl326

haygirl326 Guest

any better of a pic?

Attached Files:

19. FLgirl

FLgirl Guest

Haygirl, Yes, better pic! Your topper looks awesome on you! I'm amazed at how natural it looks. That is the exact style I want!! Is it an illusion fall? It seems to cover very well in front. My fear was that a topper would not cover the very front and that you NEEDED some hair in the very front to pull forward (mainly where I've lost). It looks soooooo good. yay for you! Keep smiling & stay strong and beautiful! :)

Joanne, thanks for your wisdom. You are an inspiration & I agree with you that Haygirl is coping extremely well. I'm not sure how I'd handle what you've both gone through with the whole rollercoaster thing. I'm a slowly wilting flower, and the fact that it is slowly happening is a blessing for me because I'm gradually adjusting to my Androgenetic Alopecia.

20. haygirl326

haygirl326 Guest

Thanks Finelocks! :)
    I have been calling it a topper (I dont think its an illusion fall) I bought it at Flora's and went to Dov to have the cut done. I am going back to him in the next few weeks to have it highlighted becuase thr only thing I am not 100% happy with is the color, I loved being blond! :)
    I dont have too much going on in the front anymore, I think the sideswept bangs help with that ALOT! :)
    you would be amazed how many people tell me oh your hair looks so pretty and they dont have a CLUE that its a topper.