Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

pixie cut advice?

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Martha716, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Vlal

Vlal Guest

:agree: Ones in that position are crazily awkward. Even the wire zig zag combs there are weird - I never understood how to use them well without getting my own hair all messed up underneath, which can be irritating (like an itch or something).

Some wigs have the clips at the sides just above the side burns, which is useless for me. Clips/wire combs work well in the back for me and not too bad over the ears, but anything in the frontal region (framing the face from sideburn to sideburn) or the top is pretty useless because my hair is so slippery and not dense enough. It's annoying! I don't want to start faffing with hairspray/gel either. It's enough bother to put the wig on, let alone start stick stuff in my bio hair.

That's the blessing of a synthetic. I find they do just cling to the head like a hat!

2. AngelGirl

AngelGirl Guest

So, would you say that the Fortune medical wigs with the anti-slip material around the edge would probably work OK with a little hair - and not wanting to use clips?

3. Martha716

Martha716 Guest

angelgirl, from what i can tell from the site, what that is may be a PVC strip in the hairline and in front of the ear area (ear tabs is what the call that!). That is not unusual. You find it in other wigs like Amore (Rene of Paris's high end line) or in some Raquel Welch wigs. It sounds as though it is there because it is "anti slip" but usually the manufacturers put that in there so you can use tape or glue (and it does work very well.)

If you are talking about a 12" wig, you probably won't have a problem with slippage anyway if the wig cap fits. If it is too small it will ride up so you have a pocket above your head. If it is too large it will "swim" and "pouch". Few of us have ever had a wig cap that fits perfectly. I have one from a very expensive human hair custom made wig and actually the Jon Renau "petite" range fits me like a glove!

I wouldn't get overly worried about slippage -- really. Once you decide you want a wig, just find a wig that fits you and we'll go from there.

4. RatsNest

RatsNest Guest

Martha, you know what I am going to say! My pixie cut was the best thing I did for the stress of seeing my hair fall out! And I found that the wigs "stick" onto the short hairs very well. You have such a lovely face, you can get away with it no problem! Good luck with your new do.

5. Greene

Greene Guest

Martha, I'm so excited for you! Please post pics of your new 'do if you're up for it. I'm counting down the days until I go get mine chopped off (once the holiday craziness is over).

If nothing else, hair loss is creating a new generation of sexy, short-haired ladies around the world. =)

6. Martha716

Martha716 Guest

You guys are great...I will let you know how it goes! :)

7. Vlal

Vlal Guest

:agree: The cap on the Fortune Medical wig does look very like the Amore HH I have, which has a monofilament top with PU strip (like clear plastic - like the clear bra strap material) at the front, although it has open wefted back &sides and I think Fortune's is different there. The PU strip can work as an anti-slip if a person has no hair (Alopecia Universalis/AT or effects of chemo) as it warms up and becomes slightly "grippy". However, as Martha said, for the most part it also is provided to enable the use of some toupee tape for extra security.

Regardless of what wig you want to try, the main thing I would check is your head measurements against the wig sizes offered by each manufacturer. If the wig fits really snugly (but not tight), it is less likely to move, no matter what it is made from (even a lace wig!). You usually have the option with wigs that don't have them, to sew snap clips or wire zig zag wig combs into them yourself if needed.

8. AngelGirl

AngelGirl Guest

Thank you Vlal and Martha for all of your comments. I guess I am just so nervous about all of this and don't want to mess it up. I have a larger sized head - unfortunately. But, per the website, I should fit their large size wigs just right. That was part of the thing that drew me to them - the options for larger sizes - as most wig websites have pretty limited options for larger sized heads.

9. Vlal

Vlal Guest

I have a larger sized head also. Do you know if your whole head is a large in wig terms or just certain parts? This is key to whether wigs will fit. I actually emailed Fortune a while ago to ask if I would fit their stock wigs and included the measurements I know are larger on my head (as some of my measurements are average) and they told me that none of their stock wigs will fit me (even the large ones) because one of my measurements is completely out-size. They seem open to making custom ones even in their lower priced wig ranges, but you have to wait 6 weeks extra. I really recommend calling or emailing them to double check if the wig will fit you and if not, seeing if they will make one up for you. If the wig fits correctly you will feel more confident and it should not slip around.

The measurements that really affect wig fit on regular wigs are: circumference, temple to temple across the back of the head, ear to ear over the top of the head and front to nape. Plus to some extent, ear to ear over the forehead/hairline.

Example of how to measure - http://www.mylittlesecretsonline.com/pa ... asure.html

10. Martha716

Martha716 Guest

Re: pixie cut advice? New Pictures!

Okay, here's what happened. I went to the salon and I'd already explained on the phone that I had hair loss. they were INCREDIBLY nice to me and talked to me for ages about my hair and what I wanted. An hour later, I had almost normal hair. I swear to you. It looks like it's a little thin on the top but not like it did! I then went to the supermarket without a wig.

I felt...naked! I felt like all those awful dreams in which you find yourself with no hair, except I DID have hair. And it wasn't bad! And, okay, it would not survive a lot of wind and, yes, it needs styling products but it looks like HAIR. Here's the "after" pics! They are crappy webcam pics because my camera battery died and I can't find the necessary cord to charge it :shock:

I included one of the top of my head where, yes, you can see hair loss but it doesn't look all that weird I don't think.

Thank you for everyone who encouraged me -you were right!

Attached Files:

11. Greene

Greene Guest

Ahh!! It looks so thick and full and adorable! I'm so happy for you; what an excellent choice. Enjoy your new, and absolutely lovely, hair. :bravo:

12. starbabies

starbabies Guest

SHOUT UP!!!!!!!! (in a totally good way!!!!) :jump: :jump: :jump:

Awesome!! You look great, amazing. The cut and color so suit you. I am amazed at how a cut can transform. I thought I was ready to move into my topper full time, hadn't worn my hair down in months. I went to my stylist and snip, snap a WONDERFUL cut, shampoo and styling line and I was in HAPPY tears. Hope you are too.

Really, you are beautiful.

Best,
    Susanna

13. Lost

Lost Guest

Martha I LOVE IT!!!! you look amazing good job your going to enjoy the hoildays now!!!! :punk:

14. Vlal

Vlal Guest

I knew it!! :hairy: :mrgreen: I am so happy for you! I was thinking about you today and hoping that it was all going well. You look gorgeous Martha. :bravo: At least it's nice to have the option to wear a wig for a longer hair look, but also to not be totally reliant on it - if that makes sense. :dunno:

15. Martha716

Martha716 Guest

Thank you all so much -- really, I am so delighted to have this new cut! It is a thousand times better than the sad little pony tail and the hair that separated in ribbons!

It looks pretty "normal" but after wearing it for a few hours it is a bit flatter and the crown looks sparse. Even so, it isn't too bad :)

I also like that it is so similar to a wig I wear a lot called the Amore Tova. Basically, this is an Amore Tova with hair loss, lol!

I actually wore the wig in and also brought the photo of the gorgeous blond person (whoever she is) and we worked out an in between look that would work. If I had more hair in the crown area it would be perfect, but that is really sparse there, so I just have to get as much lift on the roots as I can and hope it doesn't get too windy or rainy outside!

16. RatsNest

RatsNest Guest

Fan-Freaking-Tastic! Looks great! Glad it all worked out for you! :punk:

17. buttercup

buttercup Guest

Oh, Martha, you look fantastic!! Great cut, frames your face beautifully! Yay!!!

18. RugBug

RugBug Guest

really beautiful!!! So happy for you!!

19. AngelGirl

AngelGirl Guest

Awesome Martha! You look great. Wow - what a great hair cut can do!

Thanks for the tips Vlal. I will be calling them after Christmas. I did the measurements on the link you suggested. I fell pretty close to the ones for a large. So, maybe I would be able to get stock. I will definitely be going all of it with them. Thanks again.

20. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    so, so beautiful.

your hair looks absolutely healthy and full.

what a great gift to yourself. enjoy!