Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Please Answer: Do You Have Insulin Resistance Or Metabolic Syndrome (no Pcos)?

Discussion in 'AGA Related Blood Work and Doctors' started by Poppy, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Poppy

Poppy New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hello! Long time no post. I am a young woman with what is likely to be early onset Androgenetic Alopecia. My hair is thinner than it was the last time I was here.. woohoo.

I would love to know your ages and if many of you are insulin resistant or have metabolic syndrome without being diagnosed with PCOS?

I've been doing a lot of (probably obsessive and unhealthy) research on Androgenetic Alopecia again and one of the common terms I come across is insulin resistance. This is frequently in relation to PCOS, which I have NOT been diagnosed with after several tests. I haven't done enough research to know if I am likely to develop PCOS later. However, I do believe that I am insulin resistant due to a family history of Type 2 diabetes, and being overweight for most of my life despite having a non-garbage diet. I learned about Metabolic Syndrome today, which is related to insulin resistance. You have MS if you meet 3 of the following criteria:
    • Large waist circumference — a waistline that measures at least 35 inches (89 centimeters) for women and 40 inches (102 centimeters) for men
    • High triglyceride level — 150 milligrams per deciliter,(mg/dL), or 1.7 millimoles per liter (mmol/L), or higher of this type of fat found in blood
    • Reduced high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol — less than 40 mg/dL (1.04 mmol/L) in men or less than 50 mg/dL (1.3 mmol/L) in women of this "good" cholesterol
    • Increased blood pressure — 130/85 millimeters of mercury (mm Hg) or higher
    • Elevated fasting blood sugar — 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) or higher
    I meet one for sure (large waist circumference) and I am definitely going to the doctor soon to get tested in the other criteria. Looks like it might be time for a big lifestyle and diet change. No more added sugar!!

My hair is probably never coming back but maybeeeeee the bronze lining here is that my hairloss has been a symptom, or at least an educational experience, of more important health issues that it's not too late for me (and you) to address, regardless of the link to Androgenetic Alopecia. But I would love to hear from you guys about this!

2. Thinning

Thinning New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Don't have much helpful to add, but wanted to say that I relate to the unhealthy research; I keep researching additional symptoms and syndromes too, and telling myself at least that at least it's good to fix those things. Insulin resistance is one of the things I plan to get tested! I'm looking into and crossing off

-anemia/low iron (nope)
    -thyroid (seems a nope)
    -PCOS (seems a nope, need some more tests to be sure tho)
    -low vitamin B
    -related: MTHFR mutation
    -zinc
    -insulin resistance

I DO have low vitamin D and have for awhile without ever before bothering with it. I'm supplementing, but nothing suggests raising your vitamin D actually helps with hair loss. However, I'm telling myself that it's good to raise it anyway; I have a family history of oesteoporosis, and maybe upping my vitamin D and calcium can help prevent more issues with that later, even if it doesn't help with my hair.

I love the "bronze lining" thing! At least I am making some positive lifestyle changes, even if my hair doesn't come back.

3. WalkingWoman

WalkingWoman New Member

Dislikes Received:
    While I don't have metabolic syndrome I do have what is called prediabetes. And I am quite careful about my diet, no concentrated sweets at all, very little alcohol, and watch the carbs, and I am fairly thin and active. I've been Alopecia Universalis since 2007. No diabetes or Alopecia Areata in the family. However the doctor says that she ahs others who are thin and active who have have elevated blood sugar and higher A1C. She feels that this may be genetic.