Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

please help.really really need help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by Eshana, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Eshana

Eshana Guest

hi to one and all..
    so please help me in this.i am 19 year old with height 5'5 and weighing 64 kgs..and i do get periods almost every month but they are not so regular as far as date is concerned.my problem is excess hair on my body.i have hair on my chin,cheeks,above lips and almost everywhere on body which is so embarrasing.i saw couple of doctors for this and honestly none could help.and now i am so disheartened.i had ultrasound which was normal.had all the blood tests which again were normal.even had test for congenital adrenal hyperplasia which was again normal.but i still have this bad hair growth.like if i pluck 100 hair today tomorrow they will be their..which is just so annoying.i really want to get treated as soon as possible.i wanna live normal.. :( :( :( please if somebody could help.tons of thanks in advance..

2. SabrinaLouise

SabrinaLouise Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could offer more help that this, but how I've mainly dealt with excess body hair is to get electrolysis. Currently I am going every other week for places I cannot reach with my own electrolysis machine. Years ago, I felt I had enough hair to remove that it warranted me buying my own machine, and in actuality it probably saved me a ton of money to do that because I have removed a lot of hair off of myself. I bought a book on it and taught myself how to do it. Also, once I waxed my arms and a whole lot of that hair never came back. People who do electrolysis will tell you that if you wax the hair will just come back, but I know that is not always the case. Sometimes the follicles just get too traumatized and won't grow hair anymore, and that was pretty much the case with my arms--alot of the hair that got ripped out by wax never came back, but I know there are places that just doesn't work though, which is why I have electrolysis done. I don't know much about laser hair removal other than what my electrolysis person says and that is that she gets a lot of clients coming in who had laser done and it wasn't permanent. Maybe some other ladies here who have had laser done will chime in.

Dr. Pickart at http://www.skinbiology.com has written about various pharmaceuticals to help with excessive body hair at this link:

http://www.skinbiology.com/hairremovalmethods.html

3. SabrinaLouise

SabrinaLouise Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was just reading over what Dr. Pickart says at the link and found this sentence he wrote about waxing:

Waxing often results in a slower hair return. Each waxing permanently destroys some hair roots and so space between the hairs increases. Less hair returns and the returning hair becomes finer. Eventually, much hair is permanently gone.

So that backs up what I was saying about my arms. My electrolysis person said she had various clients tell her the same thing I said about waxing. I think they teach them that the only permanent removal is electrolysis--probably just to keep their customers always coming back. I've removed a lot of my bikini line from plucking alone and it really didn't come back. As I said, some places are good for that sort of hair removal.

4. Janie-Ann

Janie-Ann Guest

Hi, Eshana
    Sorry to hear you're having problems with excess hair and no help from doctors. Must be especially hard when you're so young...
    :(
    Drinking spearmint tea is supposed to help a bit for mild cases of excess hair on the face. You can find a lot of information on it if you google it, but here's a link that might interest you
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6376599.stm
    Good luck

5. WorriedMom

WorriedMom Guest

I know that it isn't the answer for everybody, but Spironolactone really helped me with hair loss and unwanted hair growth. I personally would look for another opinion.

6. Eshana

Eshana Guest

@ Sabrina Louise-thanks so much.i have tried waxing on my legs last week..initially it was all good and clear but now the hair growth is again coming the same way.but may be ill have to wax more often.you have really helped ,thanks a lot.

@Janie Ann-ill try that for sure,thanks a lot for the help.

@Worried Mom-oh would u please tell me that you took Spironolactone alone or with some other medicine?my doctor wants to put me on the same..please give me some information and personal experience in this regard..thank you!

7. Pink

Pink Guest

hi...

Even I have excess body hair... You name the place and I have it..
    just that its scanty on my head.. Rest everywhere it is thick..
    So, here's what I do- I thread my facial hair and eyebrows; I wax my hands and legs and at times my back when I wear deep neck tops.
    I make the wax on my own at home. I never shave cause the hair that grows back is hard and thick...

8. WorriedMom

WorriedMom Guest

Eshana, I am taking Spironolactone (50 mg 2X per day) along with Yasmin birth control. It has helped me a great deal. Spironolactone can be administered in stronger doses, but my doctor won't let me go up any higher because of my blood pressure becoming too low.

9. Eshana

Eshana Guest

@ pink-thanks for sharing :) ..i am definitely gonna wax more here on and hope it helps in reducing the hair growth..

@worried mom-thanks for sharing.and m glad its working well for you..must be so awesome... :) how much per cent hair growth reduction have you noticed with this medication?

10. Tealady

Tealady Guest

I have PCOS and suffer from hirsutism and alopecia. Recently started drinking spearmint tea and have had good results so far with the hirsutism. The hair hasn't grown back as quickly and appears to be thinner on my face, especially my chin and neck area. I haven't notice any improvement on the alopecia yet but I've only been using it for a week. Hope that helps.

11. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Do other women in your family suffer from the same issus ?
    It could be idopathic hirsutism if the answer is yes (family related) ...

But usually idiopathic hirsutisme does not concern the face but who knows.

You could still benefit from a bcp like dianette or an antiandrogen like spironolactone or androcur (cyproterone acetate).

If your hormones are fine, it would be still worth it for you to check them again in a few months as hormonal imbalances in the early stages can be tricky to see.

Another question that could be useful to answer: have you been suffering from these unwanted hairs for a long time or is it recent ?
    If it is recent, tell it to your doctor and ask him if you can run those tests again in a few months.

Hope you ll find an answer soon

12. Kay777

Kay777 Guest

i can chime in a little bit about laser hair removal. i had it done for my bikini area/underarms and it has been fantastic so far. it's been a year since my last bikini area treatment, and there is basically no regrowth. i occasionally shave the area, but it is nothing like how it used to be--no bumps, no thick regrowth, etc. not having to worry about my underarms as much is wonderful, too. i never used to wear tank tops because if i shaved in the morning, the hair would grow back by the end of the day--like i had a 5 o'clock shadow. now, i wear sleeveless shirts all the time!

i hadn't heard that laser might not be permanent, but my guess is that it should at the very least show benefits for numerous years.

btw, when i had waxing done on my bikini area years ago, the hair grew back within 3 days. i haven't tried waxing elsewhere for fear that it wouldn't work that well.

kay