Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Please Help

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Jemsgirl, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Jemsgirl

Jemsgirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going on my 16th month of hair loss. It all started July 2013, two months after having my son and right after finding out my husband was having an affair. We decided to work on things, but all that took it's toll on me. I exclusively breastfed for 6 months and essentially quit eating. When I quit breastfeeding, I started drinking and smoking. Needless to say, I was not coping well at all. I would have gotten over the affair easier had my hair not started falling out. I was in a continuous loop of depression. Well, I ended up getting pregnant again in February of this year which I guess you could say was my saving grace because I was dying inside about everything and this gave me hope again. I know some may think it was careless, but it happened for a reason and that reason gave me a purpose again. Yes, I have 2 children, but I couldn't see the light no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't even get out of the house to seek counseling because I felt absolutely miserable.
    So, fast forward to now and my hair has not gotten any better. I think I quit shedding as much around 4 months into this pregnancy, but my hair has not grown at all and often times I see the small regrowth hairs falling out especially where it was hit the hardest (temples and crown). I finally convinced my doctors to test my ferritin and zinc. Ferritin was 13 and Zinc was 50. Super low for any recovery for this hair loss. I'm not even sure my body is capable of getting the levels high enough for recovery because I think I've always been low. I tried giving blood twice before getting pregnant with my son and was denied both times due to low iron. I do have Hypothyroid and take Armour. I was on Hotze thyroid while pregnant with my son and my hair grew like a weed. So I have an appt with them Nov 4 and hoping to go back on that. It's desiccated thyroid like Armour. I've read about going gluten free and raising stomach acid to ensure absorption. I am just so terrified of this postpartum shed and going completely bald or close to. I have a Follea wig consultant coming to my home early November and buying a wig so I can give my hair a rest and hope/pray that my hair can heal by raising iron and zinc.
    This has been by far the most distressing thing I have ever gone through. I had 5 miscarriages and been through depression and panic attacks and they don't even touch the hell I feel with how my hair is now.

2. Sunnyskies

Sunnyskies New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Aww!! I don't know what to say except I wish I could give you a huge hug!! You've gone through a lot of stress and that can cause TE. But if it's TE it will grow back. Just hang in there. With time everything gets better. BIG HUGE HUGS sent your way!!

3. mrvitous26

mrvitous26 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, I am so sorry hun for your loss, and all of your stress. Do what you can to REDUCE your stress. I am a firm believer about stress making things worse. Get the blood work done, and maybe get a scalp test done to confirm whatever condition you have. It's a step by step process. Please, please, please figure out healthier coping strategies... <3 Keep us posted and let us know how you are doing <3