Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Please look at my photo

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by hairscared, Jun 28, 2009.

1. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

Hmm... hearing about long term usage of diflucan concerns me. Surely the body's flora has to be affected by this...

Are you on a good probiotic supp?

2. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

right... I understand all that... but what I'm saying is that a good probiotic supplement along with dietary/lifestyle changes should help bring the yeast issues under control...
    overgrowth of candida means that there is not enough good flora to keep it in balance... right?

3. kimm

kimm Guest

hmmmm.

I'm about to hop over to my local healthfood store to do some restocking.

I wonder if introducing some probiotics would help my morning "tummy/bathroom" troubles.

I may have to eventually relent and give a wheat free diet a try, but I guess I'm hoping something else will help me there!

I gave digestive enzymes a try for a little while, but it was taking me a whole lot of pills and I never got that "warm feeling" that I was supposed to be looking for.

I don't really get many yeast infections or any of the other tell tale signs. Not that there still might not be a link there....

File under can't hurt might help maybe?

4. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

if you are having tummy trouble then that is a sure sign that your digestive flora is off...

have you read my third article re supportive nutrition for hair? AC changed my title to "Guide for Women with Thinning Hair" but in any event... I did some research on probiotics and the hair connection... here's the excerpt from that article:

Probiotics: There is a delicate balance of flora (bacteria) in the digestive tract. In ideal conditions, there is an abundance of healthy intestinal flora (good bacteria) which fights off the bad bacteria and helps keep disease and illness at bay (long standing research proves that the gastrointestinal tract is a key player in our immune system function). Moreover, everytime you ingest anything... whether it be food, liquid, medication or supplement... you have to digest it. Your stomach has to metabolize whatever you put into your mouth... and it does... through the digestion process. Part of that process isn't just breaking down whatever you digest... but also assimilating and utilizing it within the body. However in today's advanced age, where (a) stress abounds, (b) a majority of mainstream foods are heavily treated and/or processed, and (c) there is use and overuse of medications such as antibiotics, it is almost certain that this delicate balance of intestinal flora has been disrupted, thereby compromising both the digestive process and immune system function.

A good probiotic supplement replenishes healthy intestinal flora, which in turn optimizes the digestive process and brings our tummies and our immune systems back in balance. The result is better nutrient assimilation and a stronger immune system, both of which are essential to hair health. Remember - the body is very intelligent - it will take energy and direct it to life sustaining functions first. So if your body is not digesting and assimilating nutrients as it should, and or if your immune system is compromised - your body knows it does not need hair for survival and it will take those nutrients and utilize them as energy for necessary bodily functions first.

I chose to discuss probiotics first because due to the reasons stated above, a majority of us are not digesting and assimilating our nutrients properly, and/or our immune systems are weakened. Nutrient deficiencies and weakened immune systems can and do lead to illness, disease... and hair loss. it bears repeating that probiotics support optimal nutrient assimilation and a stronger immune system. I have come across several testimonials in my research, from women who swear that probiotics stopped their hair loss. In knowing just how important proper nutrient assimilation and a strong immune system is to healthy hair producing follicles, this makes complete sense.

If you're not sure which probiotic supplement you should use... I hightly recommend my absolute favorite probiotic supplement, Garden of Life's Primal Defense Ultra. Two close runner ups are Udo's Choice and Enzymatic Therapy's Probiotic Pearls.

Anyway... one of the testimonials I talk about in my AC article came from a member at another forum that I belong to... and the others popped up randomly while I was researching probiotics and hair.

As far as my own experience w/ probiotics and hair... it's hard to say bc back before my TE shedding resolved... I wasn't taking any supplements whatsoever...
    It was only when I wasn't satisfied with regrowth progress that I slowly started supplementing again... and I incorporated probiotics into my new supp. regimen along with viviscal, EPO & D3. However... I had also been taking EPO and D3 during the height of my TE yet my shedding continued...
    Anyway my point is that my regrowth recovery seemed to pick up the pace... and the only new supps. I was taking... was the viviscal and probiotics...

I can also tell you that since taking probiotics... my own tummy troubles have subsided... and I feel alot better...
    Sorry for the TMI but before probiotics I bounced between constipation and diarrhea constantly... and I always had undigested food in my stools... now I'm as regular as rain and my stools are normal...

5. michelesmith

michelesmith Guest

have you had your hormones tested, are you post menopausal , low estrogen or complete lack of it can cause major hair loss for many women-

6. hairscared

hairscared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    ok the Candida... believe me when I tell you I have tried everything I have tried everything......and I agree diflucan is just awful stuff... nystatin, I have bottles and bottles of the stuff. luv the taste of that stuff. all sugary..lol

I have used antifungal remedies, both synthetic and herbal.
    I have done garlic, caprylic acid, pau d’arco, oregano oil, coconut oil, olive leaf and colloidal silver to name just a few.

I have pretty good luck with culturel. The olive leaf I thought helped too. The diets and cleanses , for me bogus... I spent years and years being the most faithful anyone has ever seen sticking with the candida diets..if I ate anything at all that would feed the yeast in my body I found all my symptoms returning and I was at square one again -starting all over.

There are many ways to fail in the fight with Candida overgrowth. The impossible Candida diet is one of them. Just my experience and I will never ever do what I did for 6 straight years with the damn candida diet.

That's fab that the cleanses and diets work for so many people, they found a cure or got good control over their problem... me it did nothing... like I said the culturell may be helping, I am so head strong that if I thought I could cure my problem with culturel I'd live on that alone for weeks on end.

When I went into my candida diet mode for 6 years straight, eating right and pounding down the probiotics, i weighed 78 pounds.. yep I did.
    ...My butt just fell through the hole in the toilet. It wasn't pretty. I have decided that if there is a real cure then I will be hearing about it on Larry King and every news program and medical journal and until I hear that I am not doing anything. I limit the cheese, don't drink pound down probiotics ( have them shipped in over night on ice.. them babies are alive) and others things I do to control it but I will never chase a cure around again.

Probiotics are the way to go for me.
    I know what this fungus does to the body and mind and I work hard to control it and if this is why I have hair loss then my efforts to control it have failed also.
    sad ...just sad...
    hugs,
    hs

7. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

(((hs))) How horrible it is that you've had to endure all of this... sadly I don't think you'll be hearing about any cures through the national media circuit though... the mainstream world doesn't seem to be very amenable(sp?) to hearing about unusual disorders and holistic medicine...

Just curious... what brand of probiotics do you use?

8. kimm

kimm Guest

thanks for the probiotic advice robin! I'll definitely look into the recommended brands.

Hair Scared - Wow! I guess you have tried everything! I have seen that diet and wondered how anyone could follow it!

I can't believe you dropped that much weight! The least I've ever weighed was 106 and it sent my husband into a tizzy! I'm a big boned girl though who likes to eat, so that stuff never lasts long!

I hope you find your answer soon!

9. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Robin for all your great info and understanding, and you do understand more then most!
    currently I take...
    http://www.rockwellnutrition.com/Probio ... ml#candida

Off and on I go back to these
    Shaklee Optiflora Probiotic Complex- program

Culturell

Transformation - took these for years

10. julielou

julielou Guest

Hairscared, looks like you've tried so many things for the candida but I've read that Echinacea has had some really good results, I'm sure that there was a successful trial in Germany with it. Good luck with everything. You're a stunning lady.

11. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Julielou,
    Echinacea ....Hmmm, I have not tried that for candida, I think I ve used it in the winter for cold prevention...I think
    I 'll look into it, I should be able to find the medical journal papers with the trial studies you mentioned. These studies I am always interested in, this is the information I look for from the internet.. there is so garbage out there and snake oil. The journal papers can be good sources of information.
    Thank you for the tip and the compliment too!

12. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah Kimm I dropped that much weight, It was awful and I tried to hide it for a long time by wearing this fake rear end thing from fredricks of hollywood. I worked with a homeopathic doctor and I was trying to hide it from him..... I was embarrassed I was sick ,
    .. looking back I don't know why I felt like that :dunno: .. I was young, 30 years old and stupid I guess.
    I looked like I was out of some 3rd world starving nation.
    It ended up the doctor I worked with helped me get well, I took 40 or more herbal pills a day. I think all the water I drank to take the darn things is why I got well.... except for the candida

13. inkyfingers

inkyfingers Guest

Hairscared, I am new on this site but just read through this thread; I am totally with you about dreading leaving the house. For me, it's not as if I'm afraid someone will stop in their tracks and stare, but panic about "how could I leave the house looking like this?" Have my standards sunk so low, etc.
    I think it's really important to go out, just to the grocery or for coffee. What has worked for me is a few hats (hard to find because I have a big head)--berets in the winter and Ralph Lauren baseball caps in the summer, mainly, but also a few straw hats, Helen Kaminsky small brims. They are expensive, but not as much as a wig or hairpiece! Here's a place I found online for ideas: http://www.hats.com/index.aspx
    Seems as if some women on this website wear a ball cap with a fake ponytail? I think that would be cute but haven't pulled if off yet.
    Now I will follow my own advice and try to clean up and get out of the house!

14. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Inky,
    Thank you so much for the hat website. I see several that I like. I think I will take your advice and get some hats.

I have been recently wearing a baseball hat. My neighbor noticed, she came up to me yesterday and said I have never seen you in hat.
    I can't go out without a hat bc I get sunburn on my scalp now.

I need to get some small brimmed hats like you said. ( I only have the one baseball cap and my dog keeps trying to chew it up)

I have the opposite problem from you, I have a very very small head.
    Thanks for inspiring me to look into hats!

15. curlylocks

curlylocks Guest

Urban outfitters and BCBG has some very stylish hats. At Urban outfitters, the guys hats are cute on girls. I went with the Justin Timberlake look. I don't particularly like a baseball cap and the wide brim hats look like you should be at the beach.

16. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you.
    I am a little worried about buying a hat without putting it on. I look awful in hats. But I need a couple, I don't want to have to put on hair just to run to the store or PO.
    Thanks for the tips.
    I 'll google both right now, we don't have either of these stores where I live. Like I said before I live on the moon! We have a JC Penny, Target, and Khols - thats it. ( well of course K-mart and wally world) No high end dept store.

17. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

My hairloss looks just like yours but I dont even have the texture left that you do. I went thru surgical meno at 45 and thru the thyrois issues and just about a month ago stopped Armour after 1 1/2 yrs. Mine is just thin all over. Im going to check my blood levels and see what is going on now before going back on thyroid meds. Ive been doing this for 9 years and the last year seemed to have taken over the ears and nape , Ill be 55 in September , I wish you luck with the dr and sure would love to know if you get help from her, I hope so! :)

18. hairscared

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Broken dreams.
    NINE Years! Oh my, and your still losing hair? I am so scared of this being my story....
    I am 55 also ( in Sept too) I have been meno since I was 40.
    I also very thin all over.
    My hubby and I were talking and I said that some of the people in the forum said that their hair grew back but it came in thinner. I told hubby well I hope my doesn't come back thinner and he says
    I don't think there is a thinner hair then what you've got now, any thinner and you'd be bald.
    Lovely eh?
    I let you all know what the doctor says at July 15th apt..