Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Ponytail Circumference after longterm shedding

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by hairlosshelp, Feb 16, 2016.

1. hairlosshelp

hairlosshelp Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone been measuring this consistently during their shedding period? Could you share with us how much your measurements changed?

I have been shedding for over 15 months now and my ponytail circumference is around 3.2 inches not including bangs. I never measured it before, but it's definitely less than I normally had, which would be around 5 inches. I've been getting regrowth (but not enough regrowth) and I just want to get an idea of how much density people actually lose and get back.

2. mamaherrera

mamaherrera Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    My ponytail stayed consistent throughout my 3 year shed. I never measured it before though, before the big shed, so I have no idea at all. But now that I"m shedding normal, it's dropped 1/4 o an inch

3. DisTressing

DisTressing Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think you will see anything close to your normal density for as many as 1-2 years after shedding stops, depending on how thick your hair was and how long it is, as it does take an incredibly long time for hair to grow and eventually thicken up. I think between 50-60% is the average loss so your if you feel like half of it is missing, that is probably true. I don't think you can go by what others lost and got back. There could be other factors at play, such as your age when you started shedding and underlying conditions that might exist. I would say I lost at least 50% density, but I can't answer the question on regrowth for another two years. Things are growing, but in spurts and waves.