Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Possible Success with Spironolactone

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Arisemysoul, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Arisemysoul

Arisemysoul Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have recently started taking 50 mg a day of Spironolactone. I started in mid-August. I have not had a regular period since then. I was a week late one time and the other 2 times have been every 2 weeks.

At the same time I started Spironolactone my integrative nurser practitioner changed the amount and kind of progesterone cream I was taking.

Now fast forward to the beginning of this month (Oct.) I started going to a new intergrative doctor. I really like him. I have a lot of bothersome symptoms, one them happens to be hair loss. Anyway he put me on something for my adrenals (which are not in good shape) and something to clear yeast out of my system.

In just 2 weeks my hair did a turnaround. I could tell it was getting better before that. But it started growing again. Now I can tell I have some new growth up front (where most my hair loss is) and my part is tightening up. My family can tell a difference. And I feel better physically and mentally.

I am just trying to figure out what helped it. My cousin does hair and said the regrowth looks 2 months old which would point to the Spironolactone. But I thought Spironolactone did not make hair grow. I thought it just blocked the dht so more doesn't fall out. What could making my hair grow. And could it literally grow that fast in 2 weeks? Maybe it was improving all along since Spironolactone and I just could tell it until it got long enough.

But I'm scared to death that the doctor will take me off the Spironolactone because of my messed up cycle. And I have to say I'm not thrilled at the thought of having a period every 2 weeks. But it is wonderful having my hair grow again. I just can't tell you :)

He is going to test my hormones next week to see if he can figure out why my cycle is off.

For those of you who take Spironolactone do you plan on taking it long term? I just wish I knew what exactly if helping my hair. The thought of stoping Spironolactone and it falling out again makes me so unhappy.

Sorry this is so long. But maybe someone else may be able to help me.

Thanks!

2. Arisemysoul

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks HereToday! I do take bio-identical progesterone because that is suppose to be safer. Definitely ask about the adrenals. Even if my hair were still falling out, I would still be grateful that at least I am feeling better due to the medicine for adrenals. But having the hair do better is a boost also :)

3. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Arisemysoul,

I have been on Spironolactone since August 1st and it has really, really helped. I started off at 100 mg, and increased 150 mg after a month, and just increased to 200 mg yesterday. With each increase in dose I see that I lose less hair. I am using rogaine in combination with Spironolactone so I see a lot of regrowth.

It is very hard to know if the Spironolactone is really the medication that is helping you. I also have heard that Spironolactone doesn't cause regrowth, only slows the shed. But it may be different for you in this case!

I do plan on being on Spironolactone for the long term because it has really helped me and i have no serious side effects. It just has given me really dry skin and makes me more thirsty since its a diuretic. The main thing that worries me is when I want to get pregnant I will have to go off of it, but I will deal with that time when it gets here.

4. Arisemysoul

Dislikes Received:
    That's great news JeHope! I don't use rogaine so I am really wondering about the new growth. Saw even more today. My skin also has become super dry. But it is worth it so far. And this is just on 50 mg. Maybe it a combo. of things for me like HereToday suggested. You are right about getting pregnant. But after the baby you could use it again. I am past that stage so it wasn't a problem for me. I'm just so not enjoying getting my period every 2 weeks. Is it worth it for growing hair again...yes! I think, LOL!

5. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Arisemysouyl,

I made a new friend at a conference I was at last weekend. She has been diagnosed with diffuse Alopecia Areata and also Androgenetic Alopecia. She is seeing a dermatologist who specializes in hairloss. She still has a cosmetically acceptable head of hair at this point, but told me the the volume really took a hit. She has been prescribed 3 things: a topical containing cortisone, Rogaine 5% and Spironolactone at the 150 mg dosage I believe. She was having great success in halting the loss but then it tapered off. She has been advised by the derm to bump up the topical cortisone to 3 times daily to see what happens. She didn't mention any side effects with this combination of things.

Just wanted to share her experience.

6. Arisemysoul

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Joann! I hope it goes well for her. I am undiagnosed but suspect Androgenetic Alopecia based on my hormone imbalance and type of hair loss. I guess everyone is different because 50 mg. of Spironolactone seems to be working for me although others have to use a higher dose or it doesn't work at all.

I hope you are doing well also. I have really appreciated this site these past few years. Thanks for all you do!

7. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for your kind message Arisemysoul.:heart: I'm doing quite well at this time. I was struggling in early spring with some depression and anxiety, not something new with me , but I had been symptom free for 10 years so it took me by surprise. It's under control now thankfully.

I'm always glad to hear that the site has been a help and support for someone. I found Her Alopecia shortly after the first Alopecia Areata online support I joined. It was great to find a womens' only hairloss group & meet and share with other women going through hairloss. I still have close friends I keep in touch with that I first met here. :)

I'm glad to be given the chance to give back the help and support given to me by volunteering my time now. It's been very rewarding and done much for my self - confidence.

Keep us updated on your progress with Spironolactone.

Hugs,
    Joann

8. Anna86

Anna86 Guest

That's awesome! My dermatologist put me on spironolactone (100mg/day) in Jan 2012, and my gyn switched my birth control pill to one with a higher dose of estrogen to see if that would help. My dermatologist, however, didn't think I had Androgenetic Alopecia but he wanted to try the Spironolactone anyway. I heard that the Spironolactone will only work if it's Androgenetic Alopecia or hormonal...not sure if there's any truth to that, but I assume it is true - it makes sense when you think about it. My dermatologist also told me when he put me in the Spironolactone that it can take up to 6 mo or so for it to work. My hair loss normalized 2 mo after he put me on it. But 6 mo later, it has come back and I'm still on the Spironolactone so for me I don't think it's Androgenetic Alopecia but who really knows. I continue taking the Spironolactone though - it's cleared up my minor acne, and I still hope it will reverse this second bout of hair loss...whatever the cause is.

9. Arisemysoul

Dislikes Received:
    Well, my success was short lived at best. My shed has increased some. Over the past couple of weeks my hair started looking thin again. I don't know if I need a higher dose or Spironolactone is not helping. I'm not totally sure it was what helped to begin with. Wish I had better news :-( It has been a bad day.

10. Meme

Meme New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi girls I’m new here
    I’m 47 now. Been loosing my hair since I was 18. Currently taking Spironolactone 200mg and yazmin bc for 9 years Spironolactone just worked at the beginning couple of year. It was great
    Has anyone tried more than 200 mg of Spironolactone ?
    Thanks