Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Possible Triggers

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by Miranda, Sep 11, 2006.

1. AmandaC

AmandaC Guest

Hi ruthie! Girl, I am hanging in there! Like we all are. Thanks to ya'll, I am making it! Isn't it sad when you can't confide in family? They are supposed to be the ones that you lean on no matter what. But that simply isn't the case for most of us. I don't get mad at them for not really caring, because you can't control their actions. And I have enough on my plate just dealing with my own drama! But to know I can't walk up to my sister and cry on her shoulder or get sympathy without practically begging is just added stress. It gives me comfort to know that I am not that kind of person and would always be there for those that need me. Like ya'll! I wold rather be caring and compassioante and bald then a full haired jerk any day.

2. ruthie

ruthie Guest

Hi Amanda c, it's so nice hearing from you, Well i'm doing my best with family and not talking about my hairloss ,i'm glad you understand and your right it's difficult enough livibg with it and your own drama ....My pyschiatrist told me their is nothing wrong with me talking about alopecia to hem and he said just tell them it helps for them to just listen, Anyway i am more ocused on trying deal with trying to wash my hair without panicky feelings and seeing that it isn't getting better ,i try and talk with few friends lose myself into some humor even though i feel so sad inside and thought that i may have this rest of my life ,i felt i needed my hair to feel secure i don't know if anyone else feels that way but thats what i feel ,i'm doing good with not buying anymore hair products and wasting my money ...i'm hoping i can wake up one morning without that dreaded sick feeling i'm not near accepting this yet so i'm trying to take one day at a time, i hope you had an okay week take care have a nice weekend :} Ruthie

3. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

hey everyone,

I know how you all feel. Things were going fine for me after I had suffered from Alopecia Areata a couple of years ago then its just come back this march. I was a different person at the beginning of the year more refined but was happy as my hair had nearly all grown back but now its just all fallen out again...

so i feel like its just doing this to get back at me for trying to enjoy life.

Ruthie your sister should be understanding. Dont bottle it up you need to talk about it and its good you can talk to her about this. She should see this to. Maybe she wants you to be stronger because she knows you have it in you. My sister acts the same....she knows I have it in me its just acting upon it. Its hard i know. So hard but every1 of us has so much more strength than any of those girls who hide behind their cosmetics.

Hmm i sense myself being jeoulous. I loved styling my hair and all that and I miss it. AHH ITS SO HARD...

4. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

just reading what every one is saying i totally know how you feel. I hate waking up in the morning and the thought of washing my hair just upsets me. I know I am so much more confident if i had hair hopefully my hair will start growing back. My boyfriend has complete hope in it as it has grown back before when it was pretty bad so why not again?

i got worries....this coming august i'm going into my 3rd year of uni. I'm going to be a warden where i am living in the student village so I have to keep an eye on everyone stop parties all that (i know not what uni is about but i get cheap rent...) soo i'm scared of meeting new people with the way i look...i'm so unhappy about the way i look. I dont know if i will be good enough for the job because i will just hide away
    i got too much to say right now i need to breath and sort things out.

5. ruthie

ruthie Guest

the- girl_who

Hi ,the_girl_who, I FEEL for you i can relate to all you say ,i am trying to do same with my hair keeping whats left ,it's also shoulder length startin to shorten up more i miss it hanging over my shoulders ,Alopecia Areata is now top my head it's devastating at least before i could hide it ,now i have tr and conceal the top or i WOn't leave my apt, i use an eyeliner conceal bare areas unreal ,now for some reason it keeps wiping off as i try rub it in ...oh i also get alot tangles this Alopecia Areata has made my hair dry feels like cotton at times,does yours ever feel that way? i still try spiral it ...my sister's i guess think that i should nt lt this stop me from socializng and having fun, i just want them to listen and not judge me right now, i lost my confidence my boyfriend, tell's me don't worry about it ,since 2004 when this started i haven't been same ,i feel paranoid insecure ,lost trust in others, i feel like the world is against me nothing is the SAME...i want so much try accept what i can't change, but it's not happening yet ,i just can't stop worrying about hair i try shop and i see these woman thick hair ,just normal hair i just get so sad i never felt so ALONE in my life ....thank you for the kind words, i hope your job goes well and you get through it ,i know how you feel ,stay strong ,i read somewhere that satan pillow case's help ,i know if i comb my hair i get them end my hair i try pull hairs apart gently,take care best wishes:? Ruthie

6. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

hey ruthie, I feel your pain. I'm sure there is a lot of love for you from friends and family! Your sisters have no idea what you are going through, maybe you should let them check these forums so they can gain a better understanding of what feelings you are experiencing right now.

I was in floods of tears last night and all my Mum could do was hug me but the love people are giving me I just dont feel because I want to feel a certain love for myself. I am such a different person now, Alopecia Areata has changed my life and it's now a part of me.

It's hard being at uni when I have friends (particularly some) who cant help walk past a shop window and check that their hair is okay. I dont blame them for this, it's normal. One friend would point out to me some girls hair and say 'urgh it looks horrible it is so bleached white.' I would just say I think it looks fine but inside my head I'm screaming why are you saying this to me. I would give anything to have that girls hair. Some friends can be so insensitive and I have started to hold all of this sorta comments against them. As I think if your were not friends with me and I was walking past you what would you say?

Has any of you tried REIKI? I found it made me relax and leave the session feeling calm and positive. Apparently you have energy centres in the body that can change depending on well being, emotions etc. So all this negative energy gets pent up but when you visit some1 who is trained in reiki they open up your charkras (energy centres) and all of this emotion is released. It was very weird and I'm not a very spiritual person but I found it helped me.

I'm glad I found people I can talk to who are in the same situation and truely know what I'm going through. Everyone should be so proud of themselevs for their strength to carry on every day and face the world. I am always so emotional now that everything is always twice as bad. I'm 21 but i feel like a little girl, petrified of everything so scared of what i'm becoming.

7. ruthie

ruthie Guest

the _girl_who

The_girl_who, Thank you so much ,you made my day today ,just caring and understanding listening ,i know my sister's love me but i need them to be patient with me ,my one sister bought me a wig just to see how it would look and she was going nuts saying it looks beautiful, but it didn't feel right to me ,i never wore a wig before this was first try with one ......it's like someone telling you your shoes are nice but they hurt like heck if you know what i mean, it has to look feel right to me.......i appreciated her kindness for buying it, ........my boyfriend's sister has genetic hairloss for years and she got cut short bought wigs ,and she said it was best thing she ever did,i guess we are all different i just feel so SCARED sick inside about the Alopecia Areata just before i got bare spot top behind my bangs i was thinkig okay maybe i can try accept this at least top okay wham ,i had big set back ...i always wish i ould meet one person where i live has a problem similiar to mine that i can talk to ,geez all i do check everyones hair when i do go out ,their is part of me that struggles to smile laugh even when i feel like i'm dying inside .....it always took me a long time to fix my hair before Alopecia Areata i would go so mad but now i think oh if i got all my hair back i would be so happy i would sing through styling it if it took me 3 hours honestly......aweee your friends souln't have said that about that girls hair ,i think just like you ,when someone complains about a bad trim or color i think omg as long as their hair isn't falling out but i guess certain people have to live with this to know,alot will say to me especially males it's only hair ,my boyfriend tells me get all cut off get a wig, it doesn't bother him ,but it does me ,my sister wants me to learn to love myself ,so at time like this difficult i know i'm a good person inside but with hairloss happening i feel helpless, i'm sorry being so negative ......yesterday i changed the lights in my bathroom made them dimmer ,coz thats where i can see through top of my hair in my bedroom mirror i can't when i think of it i can't even sleep right at night lay my hair off pillow helps not to get knotted ,than i think wow i used to see so much hair before now only see half that ,everything i do hair hair reminder ya know ......your boyfriend and mum sound like they love and care about you alot ,i wish my mom was still livibg she was my best friend .......i am going to check the REIKI out ,i ned to relax i love music and i bought couple stevie nicks CD's DVD's and makes me happy when i'm watching i of course i love her hair especially in the 80s ...she is coming here where i live in concert i won't go it's outside i don't know how weather will be i guess you can figure that one out right,sun wind rain wow this terrible i always tell hairdresser shape my hair in back like stevie nicks like a V now my V isn't there much the hair i have left won't grow,i won't even go to a hair salon now sorry for rambling on thanks for listening many hugs to you. Ruthie

8. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

Hey ruthie, cant believe how similar feelings we share...it was like reading my own diary of my own emotions. I find it so hard to put a smile on or a laugh and as you said feel like your dying inside. How long have you had Alopecia Areata? Because when I first had it it grew back, so there is a chance it could do for you? It will take its time it did for me...it wasnt perfect in march but then lumps of new hair just fell out. Makes me sick to the stomach thinking about it. I just cried and cried but had an interview in the morning and I needed to make it. So i dried my eyes put on a fake smile and walked in there thinking oh my god what a mess I look. Hair coming out everywhere. I left feeling my appearance must have been terrible but a week later I got a phone call saying I had the job. So appearance is not everything...its about your attitude and all that.

I am getting this drummed into my head by my boyfriend...'stay positive'....it fell out once...it wil grow back again. None of us should be going through this and I feel like its a test...but then a test for what??? Why me why all of us?

You shouldnt be forced to wearing a wig if it makes you uncomfortable. I been looking around at some today but by boyfriend said he doesn't think I need one. This made me worried because I thought maybe that whole idea turns him off or something. Ah horrible idea because he really isnt like that. Your sisters sound supporting. They want to see a smile back on your face.

Changing the lightbulb is a good idea actually. I should do that. Thats why I hate shopping because all the changing rooms have such bright lights mirrors everywhere. The clothes I am trying on I dont see...I just see my bald patches glaring back at me. I know that you dont want to go out side but dont let Alopecia Areata win. You deserve a good life and so you should go out enjoy yourself. Go book yourself those concert tickets. Treat yourself.

Reiki = good calming method...they should have people doing it in your area. Learn some breathing exercises to calm yourself down when you get anxious and panicky. I cant believe i'm saying this all and i'm rubbish at the lot of it. I advoided going to my summer ball because I didnt want to look out of place wearing a hat...even got to a stage where i'm nervous people will take off my hat I would be wearing and wham...there you go. Why should I be ashamed? We shoudlnt feel like we have to hide this.

sorry I babbled a bit and gone onto me a bit...urghh....thanks for replying to me ruthie its been really good to know I got some1 out there even if you live in Pennsilvania and me in the UK. There probably people suffering with Alopecia Areata they just hide it like we all do. I saw a guy at my uni who was obviously suffering from Alopecia Areata. I recognised his face though and his eyes and thought that must have been sudden. I dont know him but was proud he wasnt hiding it under a hat like me. When I had Alopecia Areata when I was 19 I didnt hide it.....how on earth did I do it?
    anyway thanks for listening zoe xx

9. ruthie

ruthie Guest

the_grl_who

Hi the _girl_who, Thank You also for your reply ,it helps so much ....i can also relate to all you say too .....yes shopping the dressing rooms i won't go in ,those lights show everything i went to buy some Clinique makeup and girl at counter tryed new color on my cheek ,she said look in mirror i told her i can't ,i told her why ,she said well you conceal it well and she said try some hats on but i don't look good in hats ,but i should try different ones anyway .....your right about having good attitude i'm happy for you that you got thae job ,my sister told me if i learn to love myself better even going through hairloss that being more positive etc that people will see that not my hairloss ... suffer with OCD so i obsess alot and i always felt my best and confident when my hair looked good before Alopecia Areata ,i feel bad for thinking this way it's true, i hope i can be confident again ...oh my Alopecia Areata started June 2004 i got my hair colored, think 2 weeks later i was feeling back my hair nape neck is i felt 2 rubbery spots i looked in miror saw 2 dime size circles ,my md refered me to a Derm and he said it was Alopecia Areata ,he gave me beta val lotion to rub n areas for 3 months didn't help ,so he snapped a photo of it he noticed another spot connecting,istil had alot hair than but started to shed alot i lost alot bulk and, nothing grew back just last yearis when i noticed behind my bangs bare spot oh my god i panicked ,but i haven't used anything since beta val,i was thinking trying multi vitamin ,starting to eat meat i am vegetarian but saturday tryed red meat yeahhhhh that was a challenge lol, i don't eat much protein my family thinks its way i eat but i tell them Alopecia Areata is auto immune i read so much on it,i never had a scalp biopsy .....that is wonderful your hair grew back i hope it does again, wish we lived closer ,yes my sisters mean well but i want to wear my own hair as long as i could i wish i could wake up just one day not think of my hair i over think too much ,sometimes will have an okay day and than starts all over again so the relaxation sounds good thank you so much for telling me about it ,i believe the breathing exercises help also, i need to be more consistant...... thank's for your advice i wish i had a positive to tell you ,i'm trying to think if i had the mark your speaking of if i remember i'll let you know do you mean like a question mark ? okay take care now . Ruthie

10. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

hello again, exclamation mark.....its a term used for little sprouting hairs (which i have on my head) but apparently they going to fall out again this lady told me when i went to this clinic in London. The hair looks like exclamtation marks. Its because my body is still attacking my hair folliciles so they cant grow back. She said they can just be pulled out because they not attached enough. It's so much to take in. I was hoping it was new hair growth...I even tried pulling one of the tiny little hairs out but it wouldnt come......maybe i wasn't pulling hard enough.....???.........or maybe that lady was wrong! So my body is trying to regrow hair but i'm stressing and worrying so much my condition is still there......also i'm suffering from such bad hay fever....thats because i lost nose hair me thinks....this is so embaressing.....i feel like a freak

So your a vegetarian? I used to be one to...for over 6 years but it was over a year a go I gave up because I thought maybe since I'm at UNI i'm really not feeding myself the right things. Thats when my hair was growing back doing its thang....so i thought lets do my best in supporting that. Hmmm it hasnt really worked ......year later look where its got me.

However, I do think for our sitation that it is good eating red meat once a week ...lots of green vegetables...fish because our body needs all it can get. Multivitamins....plus I reckon they must help along the line.

I want my own hair back again....completely understand....meh.....i got upset this morning....started panicking.....what to do though? We all so judgemental on ourselves, we give ourselves such a hard time! We need give ourselevs a break.....be proud of ourselves for dealing with this. Dont feel bad for wanting what you used to have, you deserve it so why not. You dealt with it so far...4 years now (like me) you can carry on honey. Just coming to terms with it is hard I know.

I'm not consistent enough with routines like breathing exercises....i need to exercise though. My mum suggested head stands so blood will rush to my head....haha.....me doing head stands what a joke! I will wobble around everwhere....i should give it a go though? i should do some exercise....help circulation maybe. I used to do exercise all the time but since going to university (over 3 years ago) i stopped exercise.....got unhealthy too much drinking....but now thats slowed down.

i start feeling guilty about talking about myself so much. Sorry girlies....
    hope you have a good day ruthie all the best xxx

11. ruthie

ruthie Guest

the _girl_who

HI the_girl_who, thank you for your reply , i had a bad day yesterday so wen to se my pyschiatrist but it's not helping me ,i'm at a loss what to do ever sincealopecia i am always suspicious and i told him i need help wih this ,i have a wonderful boyfriend ,i even think bad thoughts about him ,i feel bad i keep thinking if only i didn't have Alopecia Areata .... oh i always love to hear what you have to say ,okay now i think i know what you mean about the explimation marks ,at the top of my head crown where now i can see through to my scalp i feel these lttle stubbles but nothing grows,i'm wondering if its the same as what you are talking about , with sprouting i only see my md the Derm i had just told me try rogaine and that was it ,he never told me to come back ,and that was it,ohhhhh what a bad da geting ready for my appoint yesterday trying to hide bare spot on top ,an after my appoint i tryed to shop challenged myself went in a str look for jeans and went in dressing room ,oh those lights i sat in there for 5 mn i felt panicky ,so i left there and wentto target to look for shampoo and i alwas sed biolage Redkin expensive stuff so thought i'm going to try cheap stuff lol so i saw this [nourishing Coconut milk shampoo and condiioner it's called 'Organix'it has whipped egg white proteins in it ,my hair i have left is so dry unreal so i'm going try this ,i looked up homeade remedys for shampoo on the internet has alot whats in this shampoo ,supposed to make hair healther and thick ,so i'll let you know....oh good luck with your driving think positive thats great your learning to drive , i have to go get my laundry from laundry room now urggh out the door,again ...i have to read more posts later best wishes to you on driving you can do it ...hey i ramble but this is a place to come everyone is so kind , i need to find a positive take care Hugs Ruthie

12. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

Hey Ruthie,

Hope you having a better day. Well done for getting out there and giving shopping a go. I guess we can't hide our selves away forever, it wouldnt do us any good. Even though I'm worried I am living in my comfort zone way too much. I came back from university a week ago and the only people I have had contact with is my Mum and Dad. None of my friends are back from uni yet but when they are I'm sure they will mention about going to the pub and the beach. Ahhh makes me feel sick to the stomach because I will have to start living again. Isn't that sad?

I have booked a couple day trip with some friends. One has been with me at the begiining with my alopecia the others may have a vague idea what I'm going through. I'm worried now that me booking a mini holiday at a beach is a bad idea.

So you are seeing a phychiactrist? Hope you dont mind me asking, but do you find it helps bring you to an understanding, I mean how do you go about seeing one. Its just that I tried counsilling and I didnt really feel that I gained anything. Talking....talking...talking but they didnt really give any guidance. Just kept saying well I can see your a very pretty girl and that you would be upset about losing your hair.............ummmm yeap not helping because i feel like shit. Hmm i get suspicious of my boyfriend to. I start thinking surely you would prefer to be with some1 else with a big mop of hair...surely??.....but we should give these guys so much more credit. They are the love of our lives...they love us and they are sticking it through with us. I couldnt be with out him....even though I am right now because we live over 5 hours apart. Meh.

That shampoo sounds really nice! My mum, what a darling she is bought me some herbal shampoo today...organic aloe vera with some other crazy herbal names included.It doesnt have any perfumes, colours and unnecessary addictives. I gave it a sniff though and whoaaa its smelly....like good smelly..but maybe a bit like washing up liquid. Will tell you how it goes. I was using baby shampoo but my hair just got so greasy.

Since finding this forum I feel a lot calmer. I look forward to hearing from every1 and knowing I'm not going through this alone. I havent cried for awhile....I was thinking maybe because I'm coming to a kinda understanding but no doubt I will be balling my eyes out tomorrow morning.

Anyway 1 more thing...I been thinking so why is my life miserbale? Its because of alopecia areata...which seems to be getting worst and I'm scared...soo scared.......but I'm only unhappy because of this. But its hair right? Why let hair bring you down? I got my amazing boyfriend, family anf friends. I got good things going at Uni. Why should we let this stop us from being happy? Its a lot about fear and feeling like we dont fit in. But we do. We are human we share the same feelings and probably a lot more human that other people. It is hard to stay focused so rant over.

Urghh....whoa I am going on and On. Anyway honey, take care of yourself, hang in there, your doing a great job already by just getting out and about. Better than what I'm doing. anyway hugs xx

13. ruthie

ruthie Guest

the_girl_who

Hi the _girl_who, oh please go to the mini trips ,you deserve it you are such a sweet caring person i hope you go ,i know it's difficult i am always told your so much fun to be around if you only didn't let Alopecia Areata get to you......Well my mind is so distracted i washed my hair today forgot use new shampoo ,but anyway terrible day yikes this time when i looked at crown wet it's getting worse hard to conceal so i cryed and cryed ,i know sounds weird but that eyeliner helped conceal big bald spot on top ,now just not staying on well ,i don't know why.......i feel so STUCK ....Well i go to a tuesday night councling 2 hours evening 15 people in my group ,that don't understand what Alopecia Areata is ,i always went there for anxiety than when i got Alopecia Areata ,the group isn't wrking for me ,i get nothing out of it ....i see a pyschiatrist and all he says is you still need to get out ,doesn't talk about Alopecia Areata i wish i knew where i could get more help,i cant get through this alone ,i get so fearful o neer leaving my apt theirs so many things i want to do and my one sister lives in indianapolis wants us to drive down visit ,she said she would give mr a 62 in tv nice stero system and a computer wheeeeee ,i'm ovewhelmed ad excited but 'm afraid to mae plans also becoz of my hairloss ,i'm not sure i can be away from home but on positive note i am thinkig abou it ,i do miss her haven't seen her in 3 years .....your right we are hard on ourselves .....my niece told me once their are things we create for selves in life things just happen to us goes something like that , she will say Alopecia Areata isn't your fault helps to hear that ,makes sense, Your mum sounds so sweet to buy you shampoo and you know what i heard aloe vera was very good for hair, i tried find it but no luck, i hope it works for you ....sounds lke you have alot people love care about you ...i hope you go where you need to with yur friends, i hope you have great weekend, sorry for the spellng my keyboard messed up lol ,i forget to check i just press submit bye now:p hug's Ruthie

14. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

Hey Ruthie, you should deff go and visit your sis. There are so many plus sides to it....it will over ride all negative in the end. I never though of using a concealer to hide up my spots (I wouldnt have the patience) but its too bad to cover up now....they all joined together. I read that this summer TURBANS are in.....apparently a must have! I got a nice silk one and some crazy stripy ones...I do look like I got a towle wrapped around my head but what the heck...

You said you went to meetings for dealing with anxiety? That what of my major down sides to. I got some info from my counseller on how to deal with it (sorry if you read this all before but may help. Its not abnormal or weak to feel anxious...every1 has it now and again. Are you focusing on your failures and forgetting uyour successes? Have you managed to survive similar situations in the past (or even succeed despite them!)? Are you judging your entire existence on the basis of this one event or one part of life, or are you expecting to be perfect?

I think we all know we judge ourselves to harshly!

Are your worrying about the future....we dont know what will happen in the future?

I had a mini panic today....shed a tear.....but i got myself outside in the sun...relaxed and closed my eyes and fell asleep. I really hope you visit your sister, do it! Anyway I got a night in by myself...so tv time me thinks. Bye bye xxx

15. ruthie

ruthie Guest

the_girl_who

Hi the_girl_who, I'm sorry to hear you had bit of panic attack today ,but good for you you went out got some sun thats great, it was a beautiful day today and i didn't go anywhere i'm still kind of devastated after washing my hair yesterday seeing top is getting really bad, i don't really have patience to conceal bald spots top but it's te only way i will leave my apt ....i take each day as it comes so maybe tomorrow i will get out and try shop ,i miss that secure feeling of my hair hanging over my shoulders ,i have to find out why that eyeliner keeps rubbing off my scalp ,i'm wondering if it has to do with me getting my hair colored few weeks ago...would you believe i was told by a friend that some people with alopecia use that self tanner on their scalp to conceal now i never heard that did you? ..well i am thinking of trying to get a therapist one on oe to help me get through this Alopecia Areata ,if i don't i won't have a normal life, yes i do think of future ...oh i saw where you asked about old photo's well ,i look at mine my hair was so thick and long i miss the old me ,i was happier confident and more positive for sure ,i sometimes cry too,but i keep one photo out.......one thing i still try do is exercise 2 x's a day because i used to think when i first got Alopecia Areata whats the use ,but i force myself so iguess i do have one positive lol......thank you for encouraging me to still vist my sister , it will be a long ride ,i'm going to by a portable DVD with screen to take keep my mind off my hairloss ...she will be coming here in July and it will be first time she will see me since i have hairloss problem ,she was always my motivator.the tubins you mentioned sound nice what scares me is i don't have big head you ever see some those models have such beautiful shaped heads.....i am going see my md next week i have to ask him why my eyes tear little in corners i wonder if it's comnnected to alopecia ,i don't think it;s my makeup products ,it drives me crazy i hope you had a nice night also ,i bet it is beautiful in England ,Did you try the aloe vera shampoo yet ,i have to read posts ,i had hard time getting on internet today kept freezing up ,take care bye now:p hug's Ruthie

16. ruthie

ruthie Guest

the_girl_who

Hi the_girl_who, I'm sorry to hear you had bit of panic attack today ,but good for you you went out got some sun thats great, it was a beautiful day today and i didn't go anywhere i'm still kind of devastated after washing my hair yesterday seeing top is getting really bad, i don't really have patience to conceal bald spots top but it's te only way i will leave my apt ....i take each day as it comes so maybe tomorrow i will get out and try shop ,i miss that secure feeling of my hair hanging over my shoulders ,i have to find out why that eyeliner keeps rubbing off my scalp ,i'm wondering if it has to do with me getting my hair colored few weeks ago...would you believe i was told by a friend that some people with alopecia use that self tanner on their scalp to conceal now i never heard that did you? ..well i am thinking of trying to get a therapist one on oe to help me get through this Alopecia Areata ,if i don't i won't have a normal life, yes i do think of future ...oh i saw where you asked about old photo's well ,i look at mine my hair was so thick and long i miss the old me ,i was happier confident and more positive for sure ,i sometimes cry too,but i keep one photo out.......one thing i still try do is exercise 2 x's a day because i used to think when i first got Alopecia Areata whats the use ,but i force myself so iguess i do have one positive lol......thank you for encouraging me to still vist my sister , it will be a long ride ,i'm going to by a portable DVD with screen to take keep my mind off my hairloss ...she will be coming here in July and it will be first time she will see me since i have hairloss problem ,she was always my motivator.the tubins you mentioned sound nice what scares me is i don't have big head you ever see some those models have such beautiful shaped heads.....i am going see my md next week i have to ask him why my eyes tear little in corners i wonder if it's comnnected to alopecia ,i don't think it;s my makeup products ,it drives me crazy i hope you had a nice night also ,i bet it is beautiful in England ,Did you try the aloe vera shampoo yet ,i have to read posts ,i had hard time getting on internet today kept freezing up ,take care bye now:p hug's Ruthie

17. the_girl_who

the_girl_who Guest

hello ruthie,

You have lots of positives, not just the exercise but by even posting on here. I know how horrible it is when you notice new spots. You cant help but dwell. I dont know how I snap out of it? I think its always at the back of my mind but then I get mixed up with other things. Been revising for my driving theory and did some drawing. Otherwise been feeling pretty pooped out. Think I am having way to many late nights and early mornings.

Im sure you got a lovely shaped head, you cant go comparing youself to other people. Your your unique self like the rest of us on here. I tried that aloe vera shampoo and my scalp and hair felt very clean after the wash. However scalp was flaky in area. I think aloe vera helps get rid of dead skin cells on scalp so maybe that was it? Hmmm.

Thats going to be really exciting about seeing your sister! DVD player sounds like a good idea to. I do suduko on long journeys....it kinda takes me to a crazy world of numbers. Distracts me for quite awhile.

I been thinking about sorting myself out with some kinda hair piece....do you still not want to go there yet? I'm scared silly of it but I cant live the rest of my life in a hat. My boyfriend is convinced my hair will grow back again. I love him for his determination on it but its going to take ages yet to see any improvement as my hair is still falling out. So I need something. I wonder if a wig or something like that would bring me peace...? Been reading the wig forum. I just dont know where to start in the UK. Also my hair is still shoulder length and I realise I would have to have it cut short so seeing even more of my scalp might be such a scare.

I'm off to bed, hope you had a good day take care.

18. ruthie

ruthie Guest

the_girl_who

Hi The_girl_who, Thank you again for the kind words and pointing out a positive i have ,ifeel when i come to this site i can think out loud about my feeling of how hairloss has disrupted my life ,i long to get to where i say i accepted this and go on with my life ......i tell myself i am not going to mention my hairloss , to others that don't understand ,but heres the problem,i feel if my hair looks kind dfferent and noticable especially when i can't completely conceal top .than they will know i tried best i could ,i guess i care too mch what others think.......Your boyfriend is such an inspiration to you and your mum and you know what i tried really hard to say geez maybe my hair will grow back someday ,and as long as i stay out of bathroom mirror i can keep that thought ....i know you said you like a Giggle lol ..well i was cleaning my bathroom ,i always open my medicine cabinet has mirror on it so i can't glance at top of my scalp so, i'm cleaning away and i bend down to get the cleanser and forgot i had the mirror open and banged my head and ouch .but i thougt ohhhhhh just maybe thet will wake up my hair follicles lol ...oh i feel nuts sometimes , many times i try trick my body into thinking i'm happy i dunno ......well i'm glad the aloe vear shampoo made you hair feel good ....i go to council group tomorrow ,but i have a nice friend there will ask me before group if i found anything to help my hair ....Well i'm scared too when i think of a wig if only i could get one little below shoulder spiral curl ,i love that look it's only way my hair looked good ....i have looked up so many wig sites the one my sister sent for months ago just wasn't me ,i cryed top looked too fake ,and you can return them .but can't get money back ,have to pick another one ,but that was my first try, ...i'm afraid extentions and all hair underneath never grew back so thats wherei'm at ,..here a year ago i was so happy top wasn't affected sadly it is now .....you mentioned when you go on long journeys you do suduka , what is that sounds interesting especially if it distracts you from thnking of Alopecia Areata ...well i guess i'm going watch rest of y soap ,Days of our lives and passions ,makes me happy i forget about my Alopecia Areata for that time ,take care sorry i rambled on ,i wrote a post to someone else here the other day and pushed wrong button i lost it Bye now :wink: Good luck on your driving!!! Ruthie

19. RobinL71

RobinL71 Guest

I don't have Alopecia Areata... but when I started my TE shed I did a mega amount of research on all the possibilities... as I'm sure you all have done as well...
    Where Alopecia Areata is an autoimmune disorder... I'd just like to ask if any of you have tried acupuncture and chinese herbal medicine? Acupuncture is well known in the holistic community for treating autoimmune conditions with great success... I have Hashimoto's which is an autoimmune disorder involving the thyroid... and my acupuncture and herbal meds (wasn't doing ANYTHING else at the time) helped reverse my antibodies... which doctors told me would be impossible... although they couldn't refute the bloodwork results...
    I know a really good acupuncturist in the New England area of the US if anyone wants his info... here's his website:

http://www.acufamily.com/

20. ruthie

ruthie Guest

Hi venusbw, Thank you for mentioning accupuncture ,i have heard of it,i'm ot sure where i live in PA if we have any,but i am going to check it out ,i used to go t chiropractors so i'm going to look into this.....i'm sorry to hear you have hahimoto's and now some hairloss, i feel for you i hope something will help you ..oh i also looked up so much on internet about alopecia etc, n 2004 when i first was diagnosed with Alopecia Areata i used to hang my head over the bed thinkng maybe circulation wasn't getting to my scalp its such an emotional rollercoaster, your hair looks pretty on your picture thats great that you are a personal trainer i exercise ,i use body by jake [bun's thigh rocker ] i lift weights only 8 llbs trying to get firmer arms underneath ,i almost stopped the exercising when i first had alopeca thinking whats the use but i talked myself into contining it's one of my goals 2 times a day ......best wishes to you . Ruthie