Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Postpartum Shed & Re-starting Rogaine

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by JeHope, Dec 31, 2018.

1. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently 28 weeks pregnant. Before I got pregnant, I was on birth control, 200 mg spironolactone, and 5% rogaine. I had been on that regimen for 5 years. I went off birth control in February, spironolactone in March, and continued on rogaine until I found out I was pregnant in July. I surprisingly never had a major shed from going off birth control or Spironolactone prior to getting pregnant. Ever since I got pregnant, I barely lose any hair!

I am horrified of the postpartum shed. I want to be prepared to go back on my regimen as soon as it’s safe to do so but wasn’t sure if I could while breastfeeding or should wait until the postpartum shed to finish. Can anyone share their experience with going back on rogaine or Spironolactone after having a baby? Did you go on it immediately or wait until the postpartum shed finished? Did your hair recover to what it was pre-pregnancy?

2. searching

searching Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi JeHope

This is such an informative post. I’ve been on rogain 5% liquid 1x per day and it’s helped conceal a lot of my scalp so that it isn’t that noticeable. I have all over hair loss that started in my late teens but because my hair was super thick i didn’t really notice till around 20 yrs old. I’m an now in my 30s and although thin i can still get away with it. My fear is getting pregnant and not being able to continue the use of rogaine. It’s such a fear of mine that i froze embryos and looking for a surrogate cause I’m so afraid of pregnancy post pardom loss and don’t want to have to wear a wig for the rest of my life. But It would be such a relief if i knew i could carry and not have to wear a wig after. So I’m hoping your experience could offer some insight for those of us that feel paralyzed and fearful. I look forward to hearing how you do and thank you so much for your posts:)

QUOTE="JeHope, post: 251940, member: 7527"]I am currently 28 weeks pregnant. Before I got pregnant, I was on birth control, 200 mg spironolactone, and 5% rogaine. I had been on that regimen for 5 years. I went off birth control in February, spironolactone in March, and continued on rogaine until I found out I was pregnant in July. I surprisingly never had a major shed from going off birth control or Spironolactone prior to getting pregnant. Ever since I got pregnant, I barely lose any hair!

I am horrified of the postpartum shed. I want to be prepared to go back on my regimen as soon as it’s safe to do so but wasn’t sure if I could while breastfeeding or should wait until the postpartum shed to finish. Can anyone share their experience with going back on rogaine or Spironolactone after having a baby? Did you go on it immediately or wait until the postpartum shed finished? Did your hair recover to what it was pre-pregnancy?[/QUOTE]

3. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    I’m glad I could help! I’ve searched and searched and there’s very little out there about stopping rogaine for pregnancy and restarting postpartum. I definitely relate to you on the fear of postpartum hair loss but I truly think the joy of the baby will make it so my best easier to cope with. But hey, if you want to use a surrogate, go for it! I have not enjoyed pregnancy like others seem to!

4. JeHope

Dislikes Received:
    Well my hair shed started at around 4 months postpartum. It’s been about a month, and still going strong. I’m still breastfeeding, so can’t start back on rogaine quite yet. Just wanted to bump this thread in case any one has some postpartum experience to share about restarting rogaine!