Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Pros & Cons of Bonding Toppers

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by PumpkinPie, Apr 4, 2005.

1. PumpkinPie

PumpkinPie Guest

Hi

For those of you who may have been following my post I am having so much trouble trying to attach a topper. Its so fideley when you are just thingers and thumbs.

I have a thin fringe but a wide part and hair loss to the crown area, I have been put of bonding as it can casue further Permanent hair loss.

I was wondering what the cons and pros of having a piece permanley attached. I dont wnat to shave into my hair line.

Its just like hitting my head against a brick wall and is a viscious circle. :x

2. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

hey babe I will give you my list

Pros

Shaving hair
    its on for four weeks(ish) has to be re-attached at salon

Cons

Its stuck fast so I beleive
    It can be treated like real hair ie swimming, washing, sleeping in it (whihc for me is the biggest pro )

Hey you asked Miami Girl or Faking it they know it all .... Faking It I know had clipped on topper then a weave and now a bonded peice.

3. Amy

Amy Guest

I think that if you were to shave just certain areas (not the whole top) you can just tape it down (in those spots). You can also take it off at night and put it back on in the morning. I think doing that is probably less damaging that wearing clips to be honest with you.

Amy

4. PumpkinPie

PumpkinPie Guest

Thing that woryme me then if you shave areas and cant attch it properly their is no going back, and I not be able to go out to work.

I cant outdoors now in the wind or anything so I always stay in at lunch time. :roll:

5. ScaredSally

ScaredSally Guest

That the thing with bonding its usually attached for you and you have to go back every four to six weeks to get it taken off and reattahced ... that also adds the cost on and of course the expense to travel their ... but hten again you could get a train discount ....

Once its on by all accounts its stuck fast.

Where is Miami Girl and her fantastic support !! has she vanished ? are you there Miami Girl your the pros in this department

6. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Sarah, I have seen pictures of your new topper and I think you look terrific in it :) It's very natural looking on you. I don't know too much about toppers because I am Alopecia Universalis and have to wear a full wig. However, Amy's advice sounds like a good idea to considergood . In the beginning when I first started to wear a wig I used the tape and its really good. I know you would have to shave a little area for it to work but like Amy says it won't pull at your hair like the clips will . With the bonding method I believe they would have to shave your whole head which I'm not sure you want to do. I realize how hard all of this is for you but it will become easier because you look so fabulous in this topper. The people you work with are going to give you many compliments about your hair. It really is funny how little people realize when you wear hair which is not your own. I purchased a wig from Amy which has become one of my favourite ones of all time. The style is a little different than the wig I wore previously and even slightly longer. I have been complimented so much on my "new" hair style. People have not even realized it's not my hair and it's not even human hair but a synthetic.Sarah it will only be a little nerve wracking when you wear it the first day to work but after that you will be home free and so very happy. I would experiment on the weekend with the topper so you don't feel pressed for time. Good luck Sarah and wear your topper with confidence . Hugs. Joann

7. PumpkinPie

PumpkinPie Guest

I just wish I could put the topper on myself , I spent all day on Sunday trying to put my hair in the clips with no sucess. sob. I wll wear her but need to be able to make it stay without hurting and laying flat. :x

8. bayareagirl

bayareagirl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not in a topper (yet?) but wonder if wearing something like a headband could help you secure things temporarily with your topper, even if you can't quite get all of the clips secure.

I'd definitely go back to the shop for some detailed coaching. I'm sure they'd be happy to help out - or can you even do a phone consult with them if you can't get there easily during the week?
    Best, Kate

9. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

Certainly there are companies in the UK that do the bonding. It can be worn continuously for 6wks or so then needs reattaching and you are looking about £60 for this service. The benefit to having this instead of tapes, glues, etc is that you can forget you are wearing a piece and just get on with life. I believe the phychological impact is amazing.

10. MiamiGirl

MiamiGirl Guest

Hi Ladies. I'm here. I was on vacation and have been swamped at work since I got back. As far as pros and cons of bonded pieces, there's definitely more pros. It's all about you and your lifestyle. Me personally, I don't want a piece that I have to take off every night. There's no way I want my man seeing my bald head, despite his curiousity. I also desperately wanted something that I could swim in and a bonded piece may be your only option for that. Ironically, I haven't gone swimming in it once because once it's wet it takes a long time to dry it and style it (which probably is the case for anyone with thick hair).

Pros:
    1. My hair always looks good, unlike my natural hair
    2. Easy and quick to style in the morning
    3. Makes me feel a LOT more secure and better about myself
    4. I can swim in it, which is really important to me

Cons: (all pretty minor compared to the cons of having my natural hair)
    1. I can't pull my hair back into a tight, high pony tail because the fake
    hairline will look really obvious. Instead I wear a low hanging pony tail
    and use loose pieces and bangs to cover the front (no big deal).
    2. I wash it about once a week and once it's wet it takes about an hour
    and a half to blow dry and flat iron it (again, not a huge deal and still
    way better then my normal shitty hair)
    3. Hard to scratch my head when it itches
    4. Have to get maintenance somewhat often because the tape doesn't
    always hold up, but don't get scared, when it's loose you're the only
    one who will notice.

11. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

I'd agree Miamigirl. I think the pros out weigh the cons and they are particularly good for teenagers who are struggling to come to terms with hair loss and enduring peer pressure to fit in with society and look fabulous all the time!
    It is interesting you talk about tape? In the UK the process involves a surgical glue which lasts for 4-6wks. Surely you must aply the tape more often?

12. MiamiGirl

MiamiGirl Guest

First I just want to say that I think this option is wonderful for everyone, not just teenagers. Granted, they do experience a lot more peer pressure then most of us, but believe me I know a lot of caddy women that can be just as judgemental and hurtful as teenagers. We're all being pressured to look good and fit in with societal norms, especially if you're living in LA, like me. This is the superficial capital of the world.

Sally: I'm not sure how the glue works, but I would definitley assume that the tape comes off easier. Right now I have a few areas that are loose, after only 2 weeks, but again nobody notices it but me. I'm not sure if glue is more damaging then tape, but I'd be interested in finding out if you know.

13. SallyTurney

SallyTurney Guest

To be honest I don't know a lot about it. One of my clients had the 'procedure' done recently. I think the piece (a 3/4piece) made in human hair cost about £300 (which is very good price here for long hair) and she has to go to the same place every 4-6wks to have it removed, washed, dried and reattached (she only has one). The glue is only put round the edges so hair grows quite normally underneath. She swims and leads a totally normal life in this piece, because she never takes it off. My only complaint of it is that you can tell when it is ready to be redressed but that is the same as any wig. She even takes showers in it! Over here pieces are usually made to be applied with tapes or glues, but the glues are temporary. In my industry we have some mega glues for stunt performers but even these would wear out over about ten days, especially if faced with water. Ofcourse I can't find out exactly what is being used to bond the hair for 6wks...trade secret unfortunately!

14. Cry-nena

Cry-nena Guest

To MiamiGirl

MiamiGirl, I admire you so much for your courage to wear a topper, and feel so darn good about it! I don't know if I'll ever have the guts to wear one, if I come to terms where I can't stand my own hair much longer. I am so happy you have regained your lifestyle back, your happy, confident. Girl I wish I could feel the same as I did, before my hairloss. I wish you the best. Take care, God bless

15. Peony

Peony Guest

Miamigirl--what has your experience been with working out in your new piece? Does sweat have a big effect on the hold of the tape? Is it comfortable? How about yoga? It sucks, because I'm really self-conscious about exercising in public now, because of the hair powder, and how thin my hair gets when it get sweaty.