Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Protein treatments

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Tori, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Does anyone use them? What is your experience with them?

I started using a protein treatment (Aphogee's- though since I ran out I'm going to look for a less messy brand)) after going back to blonde from a crazy dark brown to prevent breakage etc from the process which took quite a while. I've had amazing hair days ever since. Not "looks amazing" hair days (though it does look loads better), but the issues I've had with my hair since my hair loss began are non existent now- those kind of amazing hair days.

I quit rogaine in November and have been waiting in fear of the dread shed ever since and nothing has happened. My hair continues to thicken up. The bumpy, wiry hairs are gone! I have no inflammation anymore (the painful spots that usually lead to hair falling from that location) and in general, my hair is no longer a dry, frizzy mess when I don't use product to tame it. My hair continues to improve when I expected it to go to hell after quitting rogaine. This is the only thing I've done differently to my hair.. can something I only use once a month really be responsible? I'm not shedding at all (beyond a normal amount anyway, very few hairs fall in a day that I notice and next to nothing in the shower or during styling). I'm quite amazed.. Not only should I have had a dread shed long ago, but I'm overdue for my horrible summer shed and it's nowhere in site. Not complaining! lol

Anyone else use them?

2. Hayley

Hayley Guest

I've only heard of them when you mentioned it once before. And i'd like to know more about them. I'm so impressed by how you've got on :woot: and am shocked that you've done so well after quitting rogaine but i'm really pleased for you :)

3. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks so much.. I'm shocked too! lol. Though I'm worried I'm speaking too soon. I usually have my best progress just before the big shed, but as I said, I'm overdue. It usually starts on the first super hot days of the season and we've already had quite a few and my hair hasn't reacted at all! I'm soooo happy. I'm trying to read more about them, but I'm mostly getting pages on protein in the diet :dunno:

4. justme

justme Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:

hope this helps :)
    http://www.google.com/search?hair loss=en&rlz= ... =&gs_rfai=

5. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Valentine! I did see most of that while reading up on it before trying it, but now I'm looking more for what it does. Not helping with the condition of my hair (which it does) or making it stronger (which it does) etc, but the deep down science of it.. if there is any lol. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if this stuff just gets down into the follicle and creates a bigger bulb for the hair to hold on to, this stuff gets so hard and tacky lol. But whatever it is, hopefully it is doing something and it's not just a fluke.

Thanks again :)

6. mga2201

mga2201 Guest

I don't really know much about protein treatments but would love to try it- where did you purchase yours?

7. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know I've read someplace that those of us with thin, fine hair have much less protein in our hair than women with medium to thick hair, so you really might have stumbled on to something here. Where do you buy it? I'd like to give it a try.

8. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I know I probably don't absorb enough of it, but really didn't think topically it would do anything. I'll take what I can get though!

I live in Canada ladies, so I just scoured the net for any place here that would sell it. For those in the States though, it's at Sally's :) Or you could just look for any ol' protein treatment locally.. not sure if there is a difference in them or not (aside from application and mess factor.. which isn't fun with Aphogee's).

Let me know if you try it! I've been using it for months now.. not sure when these results started, but give it some time to see if it works with your hair.

9. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    PS.. if you do decide to buy some, make sure you have a GREAT conditioner at home and leave it on your hair as long as possible afterwards. I bought the one they recommend with the treatment, but didn't like it much. I used my own after that, left it in for half hour to an hour and my hair was amazing. This isn't meant to give you manageable, silky hair.. it's a protein treatment, you have to take the steps for conditioning after to appreciate it.

10. wish4hair

wish4hair Guest

Hi Tori,

I am just wounding would you contribute your hair improvement to the protein treatment that you are using.
    Thanks

11. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I'd like to, but I'm very skeptical.. it would just be too simple after the fight I've gone through, you know? My hair's condition I might, but not that it's staying on my head and only because I can't prove it, not because it's impossible. I've been looking forever, how it affects the scalp, follicles, hair growth etc etc and all I'm finding is what it does to the existing hair. All I can say is it's the only thing I've changed after quitting rogaine and my hair isn't budging.. could be a fluke, could be something more.. the next little while will tell if I don't get my summer shed.

12. wish4hair

wish4hair Guest

Thanks Tori I wish for you that your hair will continue to do better and better at least you found something that helped. Good luck. :)

13. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I hope so! Thanks so much :)

14. mga2201

mga2201 Guest

Thanks- maybe I will try heading over to Sallys and see if they have it.

How many days per week do you use it?

15. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    This particular brand should only be used every 4-6 weeks or so.. but there are others made to be used more often.

16. mga2201

mga2201 Guest

For those of you who are interested in trying a protein treatment- I went to Sally Beauty Supply's website and they have a variety to try. One that caught my eye is called Nex Faze- it is actual a spray- leave in treatment. I went to Sally's immediately and found it on the clearance table (which was a little alarming- so I bought 2 bottles in case it does work and they are discontinuing it!)

The reason I chose this one is because the 3 reviews written were very positive, and the last user stated that she saw a decrease in hair loss after one use! So Tori you might be on to something with this. I'm not going to get my hopes up because I know not all treatments work for everyone- but I will let you know how it goes!

17. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! Please do!

I think my next one will be one I can use more often, I get a little worried after a few weeks that it may stop working for me, but too much protein is just as bad for your hair, so I don't dare use it more than recommended. I'm reading excellent reviews about most protein treatments (negative reviews are usually about smell or packaging or something silly) just wish I could find more from women with hair loss. Keep us posted! :)

18. I have been using protein treatments for awhile, and I do think they help my hair have better texture and quality.

19. wish4hair

wish4hair Guest

Hi all
    Today I went to sally and picked one of those 2 steps protein treatments it was only $2.50 not bad at all. Well let see how it will go. :dunno:

20. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Rapunzel, I agree with you.. my hair is in such great shape since starting this. That alone will keep me buying it. So do you think it's helped you at least maintain your hair or am I speaking too soon for myself? Just checked my head and now not only am I not shedding, my entire head is covered in new growth.. usually this time of year I can't find one, my hair just stops growing in the hotter months.

I really hope I'm not jinxing myself with this thread lol.

wish4hair, sounds like the one I have.. Aphogee's two step protein treatment? Wow, good price.. I paid a lot more for mine over here, but it was still fairly cheap considering. Hope you like it and remember, condition extra long afterwards!