Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Protein treatments

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Tori, Jun 12, 2010.

1. wish4hair

wish4hair Guest

You never know what helps and want doesn’t help but if it works why not keep using it. By the way today I only lost like 6 strands of hair so far which is kind of low for me. I will keep using it as long as it keeps working.

2. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Me too.. still debating whether or not to get one that I can use more often though. This one is doing *something* for me, I might just stick with it.

Whether what she said was true or not, she also said that I probably used rogaine long enough for it to put my hair back into "it's own natural growing rhythm" lol (which if that were true, I'd have started my summer shed by now and I wouldn't have all this regrowth. Rogaine works while you're on it, not when you go off lol) so, yeah.. grain of salt.

3. rld

rld Guest

Tori,
    Do you think it would be ok for someone who has never colored their hair? I haven't done anything like that, but I have used a blow dryer and either a flat iron or rollers every day for years on my hair. It does look pretty dry and brittle at times. I was thinking about using this to just get some shine back into my hair. What do you think? I don't want to make my hair worse and if it has the potential to for someone who hasn't ever used color, then I'll steer clear. Thanks so much for all the advice!

4. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm not an expert on it, but it says it's for those with dry, brittle hair, for breakage etc. Someone in this thread pasted a link to the product, I believe that page says something about who can use it.

Oh wait, I found it:

This remedial process is highly recommended for hair that:

* Is too weak or fine to take a perm or relaxer. (use the week PRIOR to service)
    * Is over-bleached.
    * Will not hold color. (use PRIOR to color application)
    * Breaks when combed or brushed.
    * Is mushy when wet and brittle after drying.

I think one use would tell you if you needed it or not. If it's brittle after use, you don't need it. If after you deep condition, it's in better shape, your hair needed it. They have sample sizes if you want to try it out first :)

5. I did not buy this particular protein treatment. I bought one that is be left on hair for 5 minutes after you shampoo your hair. Do you think I can use it on my colored hair? I just got my hair colored.

6. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    My hair has been seriously coloured for most of my life lol. So yes.

Wish4hair, I totally missed that you only lost 6 hairs that day. That's awesome! What's your usual shed like in a day? Does it ever come down to 6?

7. wish4hair

wish4hair Guest

I usually lose between 30 for 40 strands of hair a day and I wash my hair every day. Yesterday I lost about 15 and a day before I lost 6.

8. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wonder if a daily treatment would benefit us more than a monthly one

9. Today's the day for my monthly protein treatment ala Tori... ;)

best

stuff

ever

10. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I

totally

agree

lol.. I'm still not shedding.. hmmm.

How's your hair doing Wish?

11. that sucks....

My hair is stable at the moment... but I've gotten stable before only to suffer a major shed...so I just hope things maintain as long as they can... I'm out of the topper...had lunch with a friend I had somewhat avoided much of the last several months...and finally confided in her today...she said she thought my hair looked the same as always... which is GREAT...but in the same sense...drives me crazy - b/c this truly solidifies this ONLY effects us and really most ppl don't freakin notice.... I lost WELL over 1/2 my hair - and what I have left barely covers my scalp and extensions and one of my best friends of 25 yrs doesn't bat an eye... ha!

12. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well, stable is great. I'm used to stabilizing before a big shed too. I could set my watch (calendar? lol) to it. I honestly think it was rogaine though because I've never experienced that huge summer shed before rogaine and I haven't experienced it since quitting. Not that it's been that long, this is the first summer off it since I started, but I should have shed all my progress, as usual, in May or early June. I'm not going to worry about it anymore, I'm sure it was the treatment.

I know what you mean about nobody noticing. I should feel lucky that nobody has noticed (although they did when it was at it's worst), but at the same time, it can be mentally draining sometimes and all over something most people don't notice lol. urrrgh.

What sucks?

13. Hayley

Hayley Guest

I mentioned this stuff to my hair dresser the other day and she said my hair is too fine for it :lost:

14. wish4hair

wish4hair Guest

I am due for another treatment but I am going on vacation next week to Ocean City and will be spending all day on the beach and it will be some damage from the sun so I am waiting until I come back. What do you think should I do it before going to protect it or after I come back???

15. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would say treat it after you return; and wear a nice big floppy straw hat, or find some lightweight stretch lace you can make a headscarf out of, to protect your hair from the sun while your on the beach. That's what I would do!

16. wish4hair

wish4hair Guest

Thanks Hennared,
    Yes, I think that is what I am going to do.
    how is your shedding after coming back from your trip???

17. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for asking... It still sucks! I guess it's not as bad as during and right after the trip, but it's not back to 'normal' :( (and normal = as good as it ever gets since hairloss started, which is easily 2x what it always was before hair loss). My texture has gone psycho, too; so I'm glad to read this thread again because I think I need a treatment, again (I like the Aphogee stuff).

(EDITED to ad: 505 posts??? Yee Gad. I've settled in here, huh!)

18. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's a tough call, I personally use the treatment earlier than usual if I know I'll be doing something damaging to it, to protect it. But it also makes sense to use it to repair I guess.. but then I'm thinking you have more to repair now if you wait till after your vacation, know what I mean?

Hayley, that sounds odd to me, since it is for weak/damaged hair. Maybe she's saying that because of the risk of breakage? If so, I've had every hair type on my head through this.. from thin and whispy to a normal sized hair and I haven't had any breakage. Maybe do a strand test first? You just shouldn't move your hair while using it.

19. Hayley

Hayley Guest

Thats possibly what she meant yeah. I do remember her saying that it could leave my hair really greasy too..? I'm not entirely sure that we were talking about the same thing though. I may have to print off something about aphogee to show her next time i see her cos i was surprised she said that when you've done so well on it.

20. maddie

maddie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Tori - I have a few questions for you. How did you wean yourself off of Rogaine and for how long before you quit totally. I am currently weaning off (3 days a week) for about 2 months now. I owe you a big thank you for posting about the skin SE's. It happened to me too. Also, my hair falls out with the slightest manipulation but want to try the protien tx you are using. I'm wondering when the hair turns to "cement" and you have to rinse it out, my hair will come out in handfuls. It always sheds more when I wash it. What was your experience with the first time washing it out? Thank you for your advice.