Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Protein treatments

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Tori, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't actually make a conscious decision to quit rogaine until I went online and actually looked for my skin issues and found so many people saying the same thing. I'd say it was a few months maybe, where I was only using it maybe twice a week (out of sheer laziness and honestly feeling it wasn't true that you needed it every day to maintain).. then when I made my final decision, I just stopped. I'm sorry you've experienced issues with your skin.. have you ruled out any other possibilities for them or are you sure it's rogaine? I myself don't take any medications or used any other treatments while on it. it was honestly the only thing I did that could be the culprit. As for your hair falling out during the treatment, I'd suggest a strand test for you as well. My hair wasn't coming out that easily before I used it the first time (and there was absolutely zero shed when I washed it out the first time.. a first), so even though I noticed a big difference in shed, strength etc after the first use, I'd feel terrible if you went ahead and did the treatment and lost a ton of hair for it.

Hayley, it's a once a month treatment, so I'm not sure how it could give you greasy hair.. certainly isn't the nicest stuff to have on your head while using it, but no issues at all for me afterwards. In fact, if anything, it will dry you out unless you condition properly when you do it. She must be thinking of something else, or maybe a product that has to be used more often.

2. That is weird Haylee...cause you have more hair than I do... and my hair is super fine strand by strand.... I didn't notice one hair shed when I do the protein treatment.... I also do it before an 'event'...we are going to the river this week so I'm doing it this week to protect it some.

3. maddie

maddie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure it was the rogaine that caused my skin issues. I wasn't using any other tx at the time either. Plus now that I've cut down tremendously, it has started to resolve some of the issues. I do believe your age and how much you use at a time has something to do with the skin SE's. The 2% didn't effect my skin but the 5% foam is when I started noticing. I only used it (1/2 cap) every night. I've always been sensitive to meds so I suppose that is another issue to factor in. Thank you on the tip to do a strand test. I will try to get to Sally's in the next couple of weeks and give it a try. I am so happy to hear about your success with the protien tx and hope Wish experiences the same.

4. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Do you mind me asking what side effects you were having? Other than myself, I think you're the only other person on here who is 100% certain it's the rogaine doing it. My skin looks much better since quitting, I have no regrets (other than wishing it wasn't rogaine so I could continue with it). I no longer have circles under my eyes. My pores are finally clear and smaller, any lines I had are less visible now, no peach fuzz, my eyes aren't puffy anymore ( something I actually blamed on aging until now).. I just look younger, so quitting was the right choice for me. Good luck with everything.. I wouldn't worry about how you stop.. sounds like you've weaned enough, if it's even needed>

5. maddie

Dislikes Received:
    My first post on this site mentioned a thank you to Tori for posting about her skin SE's from Rogaine. I thought I was just imagining the SE's until I read your post. I had never heard of it until you mentioned it. My first SE was the larger pores. Then under eye puffiness. Could rogaine cause fluid retention. I think so. Fine lines started appearing. Peach fuzz didn't bother me because I'm blonde. But when my face became duller and skin thicker, I said to myself no doubt about it. I was so worried it was irreversible. But I can see improvement already just cutting down to 2 X a week. No major shed. No regrets either. It did cut my shed down to a minimum but no regrowth noted. When ladies ask our opinions on if they should start rogaine I hesitate to give my opinion. I do have one more question about the protein tx. Did you use a hair dryer that you sit under or do you just use a blow dryer? I'm not sure if I should try the tx. I will look for something that you can spray on or use daily/weekly that doesn't require your hair turning to cement. Maybe it won't work as well? I'll keep researching.

6. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'll look up your first post, I hadn't read that.. but your welcome :) I knew nothing about it either.. in fact, I knew it happened quickly but didn't connect the two. Then I started getting a sinking feeling it was rogaine and checked online everywhere I could find it and there it was. Not a happy camper.. finally found something that was giving me my hair and life back and now I can't use it.

Eye puffiness is common from what I've read (mine was above the upper lid.. so appeared tired and aged). As is the facial hair, but the rest of what we're noticing is not listed, so a lot of women are skeptical. Not everyone will experience it though.

I use a regular hair dryer.. works great! Aphogee makes other treatments.. just go to the sally's site, I'm sure I saw protein treatments you can use daily.

7. maddie

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I went to Sally's Supply today and they had one Aphogee 2 step protein tx box left on the shelf. I debated for a long time and finally chickened out. I am afraid I will lose more hair when I rinse the tx out. I might go back and buy it after all......I did buy a daily protein tx called ion repair solutions. Effective Care Treatment. Intensive Therapy Protein Fortifier and Moisturizer. Leave on 5 to 10 minutes after washing. Thought I'd try that first. Do you ladies just blow dry your tx on your head or actually sit under a hair dryer? Would drying with a hand held blow dryer be too much movement while it is in the hardened phase? Also, mga2201, did you try the Nex Faze? A question for Wish, are you still losing less with your Aphogee tx experience? I was looking for a daily protein tx made by Aphogee but didn't find one in the store.

8. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use a regular hair dryer, trust me, your hair won't budge unless you use your hands. I don't touch it once it's past the watery phase. Haven't broken any hair yet. I just bought the 2 minute keratin treatment.. use it like a conditioner. I kinda like it, love the smell.. reminds me of pina coladas lol.

9. I'm not shedding anymore... I don't lose any with the protein treatment at all...maybe 1-2 hairs...I use a regular hair dryer and then get in the shower once 'dried' to rinse off... I just don't touch it at all after it's hardened. Its really not scary... I like it MUCH better than the Ion treatment... I've done the Keratin and Ion - and the protein one is the best hands down... I did the protein one first - so the other two just didn't compare. I will continue to do the other ones in between the 4 weeks for the protein treatment...only b/c I swim daily.

10. wish4hair

wish4hair Guest

I don’t blame you I did have the same fear that I will lose more hair with the treatment. When I first applied the treatment I was so scared and thought to myself things could go even worse, but no, I didn’t shed more hair than I usually do. I am still shedding around 30 strands of hair a day and I wash my hair on a daily basis. The treatment made my hair so soft and I like how it looks, and I love to touché it and guess what people that I work with they complimented me on how great my hair looks and it is funny that they come to me for a hair advice.

11. maddie

Dislikes Received:
    OK, I don't want to sound really stupid but when you both say you use a regular hair dryer are you talking a hand held blowdryer or do you sit under an old fashioned hair dryer hood? I only own a blowdryer. I am mad at myself for not buying that box of aphogee now. I will go back and buy it. I really hope it will stop the shedding. I almost bought the aphogee keratin tx but decided on the ion protein instead. Like Wish said, it probably isn't going to help as much as the aphogee protein tx. Thanks for your opinions!! Oh, I have to add that when the salesgirl asked me if she could help me, she said to me "Your hair looks really good. You don't need a protein treatment". I had to chuckle inside as she was looking at my topper!

12. wish4hair

wish4hair Guest

I used my hand held dryer. I just flipped my hair over and used the dryer and made sure not touch my hair. It took about 15 minutes for me to dry it.

13. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    yup, hand held.. I leave it on longer.. about 30 to 45 minutes, but I doubt it matters. As long as your hair is completely hard (not sticky).

14. maddie

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you ladies! I really appreciate all your help.

15. wish4hair

wish4hair Guest

Yes, I think my hair needed to stay under the dryer a little bit longer but I was so anxious to wash it and see if it would cause more shedding. But this time I will leave it for at least 30 minutes. Good luck, and thank you Tori again. Tori is your hair still shedding normally?

16. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    So far so good.. I'm still not expecting to make it out of the summer with everything I regrew.. but I'm happy with the delay.

17. Beliza

Beliza Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for this thread about Aphogee, I would like to try this product! How much of the bottle do you use per treatment? Or how long lasts a 4 oz. or 16 oz. bottle?

18. I have only bought the single use packets... but will buy the bottle next b/c it is part of my monthly regime now... you will know how much to use... when you purchase it - you can look at the single use packet to get an idea... once your hair is saturated fully is all I can suggest... it's pretty sticky/tacky... I use the entire single use packet and I have shoulder length - thin hair.. so you might have to use more if you have a lot of hair...

19. Beliza

Beliza Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a 4 oz. bottle and tried it out on an older HH wig. I didn't use the Aphogee conditioner in "step 2", but a generic brand hair mask. The hair certainly has more shine, and seems to have more bounce. The ends were quite wispy, though. I usually put some serum at the ends when they're still wet, but wanted to see the effect of the Aphogee "sec".

My biohair is too short yet to use the Aphogee, but I will probably start using it when it's 4" or so. I wonder, since the hair will be short and not all that much, if I could just let it airdry. Better for my hair.

20. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    You could try, but you'll probably want the experience over as quickly as possible lol. It's pretty icky. I suppose if you're very careful with it, keep it from your skin etc, air drying might be possible, but I've never tried.. my hair is long and it's impossible to keep it from touching my skin through the process, it's pretty drippy and sticky. It would definitely take for-ev-er and it might even need the heat to harden, but it's worth a shot I suppose. let us know.