Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Protein treatments

Discussion in 'Styling & Hair Care Tips for AGA Sufferers' started by Tori, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Hi Tori,

I'm a bit confused....you had mentioned that the sensitive/painful areas of your scalp........where you were losing the most hair....are no longer sensitive, do you attribute this change to the ApHogee treatments?

I have painful areas of my scalp, along with small red scabs, where my hair loss is always more profuse. The worse the pain, the more hair I lose, ditto for the areas of the small red scabs, the worst hair loss is there.

I have these small painful red scabs on my head, it's now going into FIVE years! Every medication, both oral (Doxycycline antibiotics) and topical meds....as well as natural treatments Apple Cider Vinegar/ Baking Soda paste, Witch Hazel and Tea Tree Oil.....have not worked on the scabs.

I'd be willing to try anything at this point to get these painful ongoing scabs off my head! Some of the scabs do heal, but they magically appear again in a few days or a few weeks....even using sulfate free shampoos did not help.

I've also experimented with not dyeing the areas where the scabs are, as well as not dyeing my white roots for months....NOTHING has helped these scabs.

2. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Since that post I have actually had it happen again. Just once, but that is a huge improvement and I can't say it's the treatment, no. Though I did do the treatment while experiencing it and it went away. Nizoral is the absolute only thing I've ever used that has kept the scabs at bay (yes I've had those too.. for many many years) though I'm sure at this point you've already gone that route. Maybe I'll stop Nizoral for a bit and see if it comes back.. haven't used it nearly as much these days, but now I'm curious.

3. I didn't know you had the scalp scabs too...did your derm ever tell you WHAT they were? My derm has no definitive diagnosis re the scabs. One of my many scalp biopsies did say the scabs were Seb Derm, but none of the meds for Seb Derm have worked. The scabs don't even look like Seb Derm.
    :dunno:

My derm also prescribed a scalp oil, Derma-Smoothe, which is actually for Scalp Psoriasis and Seb Derm, sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

I was using the 2% prescription Nizoral, it actually dried my scalp out, made it feel like sandpaper and I lost more hair.

4. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Oh! I'm sorry to hear that. Nutty how the same product will work so differently with everyone. I do agree it dries me out a bit, but I have to live with that since it's the only thing that's helped since I was a little girl. My doctor told me (back in the 80's) that it was eczema.. I haven't had a second opinion of it, but no, nothing he gave me worked. I stopped seeing him years and years ago and I haven't been back to the doctor's since this whole mess with my hair started. Do you think any of your loss is from scarring? I've been worried about that for a while too.

5. Hi Tori,

Do you mean scarring alopecia OR scaring from the scabs? The scabs never heal, so I guess there's no actual scarring?! I DO get re-growth near the scab areas, the hair there is a combo of thin/weak and coarse/wiry..... :dunno:

Asking my derm about ANY of this is useless. Her answer when I once questioned the odd combo on thin and wiry strangely curled hairs was...."Our hair gets thicker when it goes gray." HUH? Yes, but most people aren't losing those gray hairs!

My crown hair is damaged looking, cotton candy-ish in areas and coarse/wiry in others....basically it's nothing like my old normal hair.

As for the painful areas.....it's obvious that my scalp has some sort of ongoing continuous inflammation...these areas are where I have the worst hair loss, where my scalp hurts. Where I don't have scabs, on the temples, I DO have cystic/hive type lumps and pain. These lumps do not itch, they DO burn and hurt. ALL the scabs and lumps are chronic.

Some women here have pain on their entire scalp, I have pain where the scabs/lumps are....the pain is on both temples and the back crown. These are all areas where my hair loss is worse. I also have diffuse thinning.

According to three of my many biopsies, I supposedly have CTE, Androgenetic Alopecia and Diffuse Alopecia Areata. Obviously, I don't feel I have a definitive answer as to what type of hair loss I have. I do realize that a person can have different types of alopecia going on at one time, but for one derm to say I have Androgenetic Alopecia, "due to menopause" (Isn't Androgenetic Alopecia supposed to be hereditary/genetic? There is no female hair loss on either side of my family and no hair loss due to menopause).....and then tell me: "The sheds will probably stop when the inflammation goes away."...well, I've lost faith in ever finding an answer.

The pain and inflammation is ongoing. The hair loss in now going into 8 years, the pain and scabs, 5 years. I never had scabs/lumps and pain when my hair loss started.

I was told I DO NOT have Cicatricial Alopecia, that I didn't have scarring...but it seems obvious...if none of these doctors can get rid of the pain and on-gong inflammation...there's little chance I can get those dormant follicles growing again! My scalp is not pink, but there is inflammation.

Pre-hair loss, I had absolutely NO problems with my scalp: there was no dandruff, no oily scalp, no itchiness etc.

I DO recall a few years before I'd noticed my hair loss, I DID have two small painful red scabs on the back crown, which my derm simply dismissed as "Oh, that's nothing, it's just scalp acne"....scalp acne? Odd when I never had acne on my face! Ironically, this "scalp acne" was located right near the current chronic scabs!

6. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    What an ordeal, I'm so sorry. These are exactly the stories that keep me clinging to ignorant bliss, I just don't want to deal with more confusion and of course I'd have a hard time trusting their thoughts on the matter. Maybe when they're more than just thoughts..

Androgenetic Alopecia is hereditary, but I didn't think that meant from just the women..? Is there anything similar with the men in your family? Can hereditary issues not come from father back as well? Dormant until us lucky ones pick it up and carry it on? Plus hereditary has to start somewhere.. So I don't like hereditary as an answer.

Odd that the scabs came with the start of your hairloss. Mine started long before, but who knows, maybe whatever is causing my hairloss was there even then, causing other issues. I thank the nizoral gods every day for taking that away from me, I didn't know relief until I found it. I'm sorry it isn't that simple for you, but I feel your pain, its frustrating to say the least.

7. "Androgenetic Alopecia is hereditary, but I didn't think that meant from just the women..? Is there anything similar with the men in your family? Can hereditary issues not come from father back as well? Dormant until us lucky ones pick it up and carry it on? Plus hereditary has to start somewhere.. So I don't like hereditary as an answer."

Yes Tori, there is baldness on my dad's side, he also has hair loss, he's now in his 80s....two of his four brothers starting losing their hair in their late 40s-early 50s. None had scalp issues other than hair loss...no pain, scabs etc.

To me, thinning hair in the 40-50s seems normal among men. In fact, yesterday, I was talking to a young guy I know from Costco, he's not even 30 yet and he has a receding hairline!

The theory that women can inherit female hair loss, because a male relative is/was bald, has always baffled me....especially as nearly ALL of us have at least ONE or two balding male relatives! Think about this....since nearly EVERY woman has either a close or distant male relative with some form of baldness....IF it is indeed inherited....wouldn't ALL women eventually have some form of baldness? Asking doctors this, well, they have no answers. Hair loss is an area most doctors have no interest in.

A close friend, who is in her late 50s and still has a massive amount of hair, has a brother who started balding at 21-22. Her dad had a full head of thick hair when he passed away in his 70s. Her mom, who is close to 90, still has all her thick hair...!!!

To be honest, I think doctors tell women we can inherit hair loss from both our female and male relatives because they really have no definitive answers about hair loss.

Hair loss is nothing new....yet you have to wonder, in ALL these years .....the research is simply not enough or not there at all.

8. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well, there are a lot of things that could be passed down from our relatives but aren't. We could have stumbled upon a trigger others haven't and won't. Not everything manifests itself the same way.. Like if its hormonal, we show in hairloss where others show it in some other hormone related issue.

My father actually has a great hairline.. Don't think its ever changed, but his hair is very thin.. Diffuse loss instead of the usual mpb. My grandmother on his side was the same, but I'm still not 100 percent sure if it was before or after menopause that it started. Doesn't matter.. Whether it started with my dad or my grandmother or her great great great grandmother.. It started somewhere and I stumbled across the same trigger and have the same.. Whatever, going on inside my body, that caused this.. So I don't want to hear "hereditary" when and if I get some answers.. Its what a share with my family that hasn't been figured out in all this time that I'm interested in.

9. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    How's everyone doing with their treatments? I've been so busy, I've been forgetting to do mine. I'm not even sure the last time I used it, but I know it's way past the month mark. Maybe even two? I have been shedding a lot lately and my hair is completely dried out and fragile.. big bummer. Horrible timing to keep forgetting too, because now I can't be sure if it's the lack of treatment or if it's a delayed summer shed. Maybe I'm moving into fall sheds. Fall sheds, how fitting lol. (my usual sheds started late May; early to mid June -but only since rogaine). I guess the best I can do is do a treatment asap and see if the shedding stops. If not, maybe it's all been a coincidence.

10. Tori, how long did your seasonal sheds usually last when you were on Rogaine? Thanks!

11. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hmm.. a few months at least. Too long.

12. I'm still doing mine Tori - and am hanging in there...got a little off track - so I'm due in the next week or so...I just bought the bigger bottle last treatment vs the single packs.... I still really like it - wish the effects lasted longer...but love how it makes my hair feel for the few days following it...

13. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    oh me too. I can feel the effects long after though. My scalp is in good condition longer, hair conditions better etc. When that all stops I do it all over again, so most likely before the one month mark. I'm just kicking myself for stopping. I'm going to do another treatment in the next couple days, see what happens.

14. Beliza

Beliza Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've used Aphogee maybe five times now. I can definitely let the hair air-dry, because it's short - I sat in the sun for a bit today, and it was dry in no time. I'm keeping to the 6 week interval, although I had used a lot of hairspray lately (tried Fullmore for three days) and my hair was all wispy. Conditioner didn't help, not even the "salon brand' that I use on my human hair wig and which works fine for that hair type. So I used Aphogee and a drugstore brand hair mask. My hair is back to normal now.

It does smell yuck, but I'm getting used to it, lol. I just know that it will be nasty for at least 20 minutes, but I like how my hair feels afterwards. Someone on here who has been a hairdresser told me they also used it on frizzy hair in their salon. I like that it isn't greasy, and with the hair mask afterwards (which on its own would weigh my hair down) it just makes the hair soft.

A 4 oz. bottle goes a long way, I still have plenty left after 5 applications. But again, my hair is short.

15. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I completely forgot about this thread! Thanks for the update Beliza :)

I just reread all of this and I should add that when I mentioned I had regrowth, I didn't mean to imply it was the Aphogee regrowing my hair. I don't know what it did for me or if it did anything at all (In the new hair department, no, I don't think any product really does that). The timing for me could have made it all a coincidence, I just know for a fact my hair was much stronger and firmly in my scalp instead of easy to pull out. The regrowth... I just don't know. I was used to it falling in heaps at around that same time for years and suddenly it wasn't happening. After I stopped using it, I had my big shed finally.. not saying it was due to forgetting about my Aphogee, again, my laziness and timing could make it all coincidence. I have a huge bottle of the treatment still. I'm going to get back at it.. thanks for the reminder :)

16. Em374

Em374 Guest

I'm so glad this got bumped. I have wavy, frizzy hair that I color when my grey roots get to be too much for me. I don't have too much breakage, but my hair is not soft at all. Do you suppose this sort of statement would help my hair condition?

17. Tori

Tori Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    All you can do is try. I think anyone with texture issues, dryness, cotton candy hair etc would benefit from it. And if nothing else, stronger hair is a great reason to use it. My hair has been breaking a lot lately, so I'm definitely going to find the time for it. Even broken hairs make hair loss more apparent and at the very least we know it's beneficial for that. If you try it, let us know :)

18. Em374

Em374 Guest

I guess it can't hurt. Just need to find time to do it. ; )

19. Zany

Zany Guest

Saw this thread and just had to try it out. This stuff really works great! It REALLY made my hair feel and look thicker! And the best part, it doesn't weigh my hair down like so many other products do! And you can't beat the price, I got a sample packet of the Aphogee protein treatment with the conditioner that comes along with it for under $4.00. Very pleased with this product and will continue to use it. Thanks for the recommendation!

20. Bri

Bri Guest

I google Aphogee and saw that they reportedly sell at all Sally's stores and when I used there 'where to buy' function it did list the Sally's in my town so I am thinking of stopping by there tomorrow to see if we have it. I am only worried because Toppik is sold in Sally's in the states but when I went in to my local store the owner had never even heard of it!

Now, what is a protein treatment? I have never even heard of this before but it sounds like you've had some amazing results. I need to go back and read this whole thread but I'm up late again and need to do that tomorrow.

Has anyone tried any different brands? You said Aphogee was a terrible mess, but will another product be any different?

So glad people are seeing improvement with this!