Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Prp Appointment/ Hair Update Progesterone

Discussion in 'Tell Your Story' started by Hairmess, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Hairmess

Hairmess Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies!

So for the last four weeks I have been experiencing a decreased shed. The only changes I have made are adding progesterone cream (love it), vitex (lowers prolactin and promotes ovulation), nettle root (lowers T), spearmint/licorice root tea (lowers T) , zinc, magnesium (both awesome for regulating hormones) and sea kelp (iodine for thyroid support). This I started a little over six weeks ago. I found out that I had high testosterone and low progesterone so I started working on balancing my hormones out naturally. As a result, I've noticed less hair fall (yay!) I think I will always have hair shed PTSD because every time I have a day with a higher shed (like today for some reason) I slightly freak, but I have a feeling this will be something I will always have to deal with. Anyways, overall I have been in a much better place these last few weeks. Ive noticed some small regrowth, nothing to jump for but i'll take it. I made an appointment with my lovely plastic surgeon who does my botox and set up a PRP appointment for next week. Three appointments spread out each a month apart for a whopping $2,400. It's a lot but I want a little boost for some extra regrowth. I will keep you beautiful ladies updated on how it goes.

On another plus, the supplements and Progesterone cream have helped with the extra little chin hairs that used to pop up every two days. Lately, I'm plucking like once a week! The hairs below my belly button are a little more stubborn, but time will tell. I am still using the laser helmet (not sure this does much) and still on an anti-inflammatory diet (no gluten, dairy or red meat). I also have probably raised my ferritin since I have been supplementing for 8 or so months, however, I have reduced my iron intake to 2-3 times a week the last few months..don't want to overdue it.

I hope everyone is well! <3

#1 Hairmess, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  2. Maasai

Maasai Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Hairness,

Thanks for sharing and I'm so glad to hear your shedding is down. Getting shedding down must be such a huge relief.

How long can you stay on vitex for? I also take it occasionally but I heard you should only stay on it for three months? I'm also considering PRP as a last hope.

3. Hairmess

Hairmess Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Maasai! I hope you are well! I have been taking vitex for a little over 6 or 7 weeks. Two a day one in the morning and at night. I take a break while I am on my period. Same with the progesterone cream. A 7-10 day break. I think I'm going to just go down to one pill a day now to maintain and when I finish this last bottle (I just opened my second one) take a break and see how I feel. I think pairing the vitex with the progesterone cream to help boost my levels and also taking nettle root and zinc (blocks 5 alpha reductase)to help lower my testosterone have been helpful. I'm hoping the prp will give me some extra growth and help decrease my shed even more (best BEST case scenario,right!). I will keep you updated and see how I feel. I go next Tuesday and I am a little nervous!

4. petey3

petey3 Member

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of progesterone cream are you using? How did you determine how much you needed? Are you working with a naturopath? I tried it once and it worked well for awhile but the naturopath who prescribed it to me gave me too much with no break during my period so it started to make my hair fall worse. I'm thinking about trying it again with a new naturopath but this time doing it the "right way".

5. Hairmess

Hairmess Member

Dislikes Received:

Hi Petey,

I use Smokey Mountain Naturals Progesto Life. It's paraben/PG/dairy/soy/gluten free and had good reviews on amazon. I haven't gone back and seen my naturopath but I take 1/4 tsp a day which is 20 mg. The directions on the bottle said to take it twice a day(total of 40mg), but from reading online it is best not to overdue it and 20mg a day is an adequate dose to start with. I take a 7-10 day break, stopping the day my period starts. I am not sure why your naturopath would suggest taking it even on your period? Everything I've read and been told is to take a break during that time, and at max only use the cream three weeks out of the month.

6. Hairmess

Hairmess Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies,

Just had my first PRP treatment. I will keep you updated on any changes in the next weeks/months. My next appointment is in four weeks. My doctor suggested I used his compounded form of rogaine for optimal results...I explained what happened the last time I used rogaine, with the severe scalp irritation, but he said his has a steroid and I think retinol and azaelic acid and is less irritating. He really wanted me to use it with my treatments and gave me a free bottle to try out. I honestly don't think I can go for another minoxidil dread shed or go through that severe scalp itch/burn. Every time I feel good about the decisions I am making with my hair loss, someone makes me feel like I am not doing enough. Argh!

Anyways, the plan for now is to continue the PRP, laser helmet, and progesterone cream/supps and see how it that goes for the next 4/5 months.

MouseGraft likes this.
  7. Hairmess

Hairmess Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hair loss is LITERALLY the worst!! I have had some pretty low moments this month and a few panic attacks. I never realized how devasting hair loss can be on a person and I feel my life slipping away because of it.

I can't really say if the prp is doing anything. Currently using my clobetasol shampoo to knock out some inflammation that came out of no where which is never a good sign for my hair loss. Shedding is back up to being high but I don't blame that on the prp as it was high a week before I started my first treatment. I had my second a few weeks ago and one more scheduled mid June. I know it's still early to see results but I was really hoping for a decrease in my shedding. I average 100-200 a day. Hair is just everywhere and it's so emotionally taxing and a constant reminder of this hair hell!

I've stopped everything else. No more progesterone cream and I tossed the hundreds of different supplements and herbs I was taking. Wondering if they were causing more harm than good.i feel like I just need to give my body a break. Before I started working on treating my hair loss I never noticed an increased shed or hair everywhere. Ever since starting and stopping rogaine the shed is just ridiculous and has not calmed down.

I even got shingles last month because of this stress. ☹️I also stopped the laser helmet because I shed for the entire 10 months I used it. What a waste of $$ all this has been.

So I have decided to bite the bullet and try Spironolactone. I have a derm appointment in two weeks and I am going to ask her to start me on it. I know it's standard to take it with a BCP but I am going to hold off and just take the Spironolactone and see how it goes. I'll probably start it right after my last round of prp just to see how things go after the three months of it. I also ordered a pretty fancy human hair wig that cost me $300 and it's custom made so I won't get that until July. Might check out a local wig store too and see what I can work with when the time comes. The hirsutism is quite an annoyance so if anything the Spironolactone might help with that..

I'm tired of crying to my family
    Over this and I'm sure they have heard enough and are concerned over my emotional and mental well being. They haven't done the extensive research as I have because all they want to say is stop stressing and it will grow back. I know I can't believe in that anymore.

I need a miracle! ❤️

I'll keep you updated once I see how the prp pans out and the Spironolactone.
    Fingers crossed I don't go through another dread shed (although it can't be much worse than what im losing at the moment)

TinaM1968 likes this.
  8. Hairmess

Hairmess Member

Dislikes Received:
    I saw an endo today to ask about Spironolactone. As I figured, he would not put me on it unless I am on strict birth control which I was trying to avoid. He thinks that birth control will help my hair and wants me to try Yaz for four months see how it goes and if I feel that nothing has changed he has no problem having me try Spironolactone. Before I take the BC he ordered a full hormonal blood panel that I am going to get done next week along with visiting my PCP for a yaz script...

I told him how depressing hair loss has been and he pointed to his bald head and said "oh I know haha"...LOL

I am a little disappointed that he wouldn't prescribe me Spironolactone right away. It seems easy enough for everyone else or am I wrong? He made a fair point that if I start both at the same time and the birth control worked well enough that now I wouldn't know what did the heavy lifting and I am stuck on two medications that both have side effects. I get it but still....I think I need a whole medicine cabinet to fight this dirty battle and BC might alone might not be enough. I don't know if any ladies on here have had success with just a "hair friendly" birth control?o_O
    Why do I always get the conservative doctor with medications..

I still have a derm appointment next week so I may speak with her about getting a script for Spironolactone. I am so impatient and over my hair loss and aggressive shedding. Either way, it looks like I may have to go the birth control route. My endo really worked hard on putting the fear of god in me for taking Spironolactone without a contraceptive.

Any suggestions on low-androgen BC? Should I go the Yaz route? So many mixed reviews.....ARGHHH.

Besides this all I have left in fighting my hair loss is one more PRP appointment coming up soon. No results to share but it's early still (two months since the first treatment). Not holding my breath...

My all natural journey to fighting hair loss out the window haha! I am straight up done!

9. valentinab00

valentinab00 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your endo wants you on birth control with Spironolactone due to the potential risk to the fetus, and probably doesn’t want any liability exposure should he prescribe you Spironolactone and you become pregnant. What about copper iud? Maybe he would be agreeable to prescribing it if you used that one.

Why did you stop the progesterone? Did you find a correlation to hair loss? Since you are not menopausal your previous scheduling of progesterone is in conflict with what I’ve read.

Would definitely get hormones checked prior to any hormonally modifying treatments. Full hormone check.

10. MouseGraft

MouseGraft Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hey, Girl! How you doing? What did you end up on? Hope you're well. <3

Hairmess likes this.
  11. Jtilly

Jtilly Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Hairmess.
    Was wondering if you decided to start using Yaz and if so how has it been going?
    I was diagnosed with early menopause early May, was only mildly concerned about my hair at the time. They started me on bio identical hormones which caused all sorts of bad reactions, especially extreme anxiety, acne broke out that I didn’t have before, so they took me off about 2 months ago? I am now losing hair like crazy!
    I was diagnosed with telogen effluvium and androgenetic alopecia, which is just so crazy to me because just months ago my hair was crazy thick so this has happened oh so fast!
    My dermatologist prescribed 50mg of spironolactone to start and told me to get on Yaz and also told me to use rogaine.
    I started the spironolactone last night. I only took 25mg to start with hoping to work my way up and avoid the dread shed.
    My testosterone and dht levels are actually low but I suspect I am sensitive to them because my estrogen/progesterone are even lower.
    I am really scared about trying Yaz and was just wondering if you ended up trying it and how it’s going if you did.
    Thanks!

12. Hairmess

Hairmess Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi MouseGraft, I am doing well! How are you doing, lady?? I hope well :)

And Hello Jtilly :)

I am taking Yasmin, which contains a little more estrogen than Yaz. I wanted the higher estrogen dose to really fight against the hair terrorizing T. I completely understand your apprehension with taking BC, I was just like you and completely against it. However, don't be afraid! I have been on generic Yasmin since early/mid June. The first few weeks I experienced some aggressive moodiness, which has now subsided. I may have gained a couple pounds, but I have also been eating a little more than normal so thats probably why. My breasts are bigger, but for that I can not complain ;). I have fair skin and I also notice some of my veins on my body are more noticeable which can happen while you are pregnant or on BC, but I don't think thats anything that anyone but myself would ever notice lol. Other than that I have been completely fine. Shedding is doing a lot better since being on birth control. It took a few months to start to see a difference. I actually saw my derm today and she wrote me a Spironolactone script to take 150mg a day. She didn't want me at the full 200 because the Yasmin birth control actually has a small dose of Spironolactone in it and she wanted to make sure my potassium levels stay in the safe zone.(Yaz is the same with the Spironolactone) I plan on starting the Spironolactone tomorrow. Throughout this whole awful hair loss ordeal I tried very hard to stay the "natural" route and refused to take medications. I now feel quite differently and I am ready to get some relief from all the stress and anxiety that comes with losing your hair. The birth control has helped and its given me some relief but I think adding Spironolactone might give me even better results. My derm actually takes Spironolactone and uses a laser helmet (she told me today) and her hair looks great. I didn't dig in and ask her if she has Androgenetic Alopecia but it was a relief to hear that she takes it and is also taking other measures to fight hair thinning. I have a laser helmet, although I personally think it was a waste of money (never saw much growth after 8 months of use).

I also did three treatments of PRP-April, May and the third in June. I have noticed some temple regrowth and even my doctor commented on it at my third treatment, and this was before I started the birth control. It did not help with shedding though. I didn't notice a decrease until I started taking birth control and that was over a month (Maybe 2) of being on the medication. I think if I continue to see results I will do one year maintenance prp treatment. I have a six month follow up with my doctor in December and we took hair measures in the beginning so we shall see :). I do try to take the birth control continuously, which means skipping the placebo pills for four months. However, after taking birth control continuously for two months and skipping my period, this month I am having pretty bad break through bleeding so I am taking the placebos and will see if I can just skip for two months and have a bleed. Just have to see how my body does. This way my hormones don't fluctuate as much.

Let me know how your Spironolactone experience goes. I will say I am concerned about the Spironolactone shed but you really have to go the distance when it comes to hair loss. :) Are you experiencing any increases shedding?

So just to be clear, I don't take any crazy supplements, use rogaine or the progesterone cream any more. I eat healthy, workout, and take birth control and occasional iron and a B-complex. Now, I am going to add Spironolactone to the mix.

13. Jtilly

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Hairmess!
    Thanks for the reply! It’s good to hear you’re doing so well on the birth control and reassuring!
    I have been in pure torment which path to take and what treatments to pursue!
    I have only been on Spironolactone for 15 days now. The first 12 days at 25mg and 50mg for the last 3 nights.
    Goal is to slowly work up to 100mg.
    My shed hasn’t changed. Still shedding a lot.
    Doctors have decided that I am in peri menopause as my hormones are wildly fluctuating.
    All of my OB doctors have concluded that birth control is the only way to go at this point because I had such bad reactions to HRT, and they tell me that the dose in bio identical hormones is too low for someone my age and in peri menopause.
    The OB doctor and my GP I saw on Friday think I should wait to start Yaz though for a bit since I just started Spironolactone. Because if I start 2 new medications at the same time and have any bad reactions or side effects, we won’t know what medication I am reacting to.
    Do you have PCOS? Do you or did you have high testosterone levels?
    I have not had high testosterone or DHT levels. In fact they are low, but I guess the thought is that I am sensitive to even the low levels because of my fluctuating estradiol and progesterone levels?
    For weeks I agonized over starting Yaz or spironolactone first.
    I went with spironolactone because I was pretty much traumatized by my reactions the estradiol pill, patch and oral progesterone, so I was too scared to touch hormones again.
    Then on top of it, all I see online is how people lost hair BECAUSE of birth control! Along with many other side effects they experienced like excessive weight gain, anxiety etc, so that really freaked me out.
    When I was on estradiol pills and even the patch I had the most horrific side effects. I had massive fearful type anxiety that I had never had before, heart palpitations, increased night sweats, acne that appeared overnight! Was crying everyday at the drop of a dime which is super unlike me, facial swelling. The list goes on and on, but it was pure hell.
    I’ve since been informed that HRT is not a supplement or an additive. That it might be for the first few days, but it takes over, your hormones shut down and the amount they had me on was probably too low for my age causing problems? That the hormones in HRT are much lower than birth control and that I need more at my age. I’m not sure though. Not sure what to believe anymore.
    It so surreal to me to be in this fight of my life for my hair.
    I would have never believed it 4 months ago. It all happened so, so fast.
    I am sure I will have no choice but to eventually try Yaz or Yasmin. I’m just so scared of hormones though.
    I will be doing PRP, just a matter of where.
    I want to go to a doctor who does PRP and CRP, but he is out of state so working on the logistics of that.
    My dermatologist also offers PRP, but not CRP. I’d rather tag team it with both PRP and CRP. Just hoping to get this shed to calm down.
    My dermatologist also suffers from telogen effluvium and androgenetic alopecia by the way. She also uses spironolactone and rogaine daily and has a beautiful head of hair!
    She has used Yaz in the past as well but isn’t currently on it.
    It is somewhat comforting to be getting treatment by someone who has the same thing.
    She wants me to use rogaine but I am fairly confident I will not be a successful responder to it like she is. I have a very sensitive scalp, and I seem to ALWAYS fall into the category of those who have the rare side effects. So I’m holding off on that for now.
    But we will see....
    I almost tried the laser band. My mom bought one for me but I had her return it because I couldn’t find many people with good experiences and it’s too expensive to waste money on.
    All of this is expensive! Have to pick and choose where the money goes! Gah!
    But yeah, just curious if you have or had high testosterone?
    I keep worrying that since I don’t, the spironolactone won’t even help me.
    But then I keep hoping that it’s just because I’m sensitive to even a low level of DHT.
    Can only pray something takes hold and starts to work!
    You gave me some hope in trying the birth control though!
    Thank you!

14. Hairmess

Hairmess Member

Dislikes Received:
    I understand your apprehension to start birth control, I was the same. It took me a LONG time to finally bite the bullet and just go for it...nothing else was working. Sometimes reading forum after forum, especially when they are talking about the negative side effects, can pull you down the rabbit hole. Birth control ended up not being as scary as I thought it would be, and so many women are on oral contraceptives.

From everything that I have read, fluctuating hormones when your are perimenopausal (or at anytime with someone who has a genetic predisposition) can unfortunately kick start Androgenetic Alopecia. Spironolactone and BC might be helpful with keeping your hormones regulated and possibly help resolve your shedding.

I did have slightly elevated testosterone levels and low progesterone ( I am 29). I have never been diagnosed with PCOS, but I have slight hirsutism along with my hair loss.The birth control has helped a lot with the little chin hairs that used to pop up every couple of days.

I think it's a good idea to see how one medication works for you before starting another so you can see how your body reacts and then you will know which medication is causing side effects. I am glad I gave birth control over three months before starting Spironolactone this week.

This is just my two cents, but if you have a sensitive scalp I would be weary of Rogaine. I also have a very sensitive scalp and had a terrible reaction and needed a corticosteroid solution and shampoo to calm the inflammation. Unfortunately, minoxidil will never be an option for me and thats why I tried PRP as another possible "growth stimulator."

Birth control and Spironolactone are supposed to work synergistically in the fight against FPHL. The Spironolactone helps counteract the androgens in our body/skin while a hair friendly birth control pill boosts estrogen, which is supposed to be helpful with keeping your hair follicles in the anagen (growing) phase. Also, the increased estrogen helps lower testosterone as well.

If you are having inflammation, which many people with Androgenetic Alopecia do. Anti-inflammatory shampoos that contain ketoconazole, zinc pyrithione, or piroctone olamine are helpful with calming the irritation and may help with some of your shedding.

I know how devastating hair loss can be. When you make your decision, stick with it for at least six months, believe in it, and give the internet searches a break. Fighting hair loss is a devastatingly SLOW process and it takes time.

Keep us updated and I wish you luck!

15. Jtilly

Dislikes Received:
    I totally agree, going from forum to forum and reading the horror stories definitely pull you down the rabbit hole much further.

My biggest hesitation in trying birth control is that I reacted so badly to bio identical hormones.
    On one hand I feel desperate to hop right on them, then on the other hand it’s hard for me to believe I’ll have a positive experience after what I went through on the estradiol patch and oral progesterone.

I got my doctor to agree to test my hormones every Friday for 4 weeks to see how much they are fluctuating.
    To see if they are fluctuating way more than they should be, then
    I know I will probably have to try birth control.
    Last Friday my estradiol was 171. Yesterday, a week later, it is 26.
    So I think that is way too much of a fluctuation.
    Not even sure I will make it through this 4 week experiment before biting the bullet and going on birth control.
    But then which one!? I am torn between Yaz, Yasmin and Desogen.
    I literally agonize over it.

I’ve been on spironolactone for 3 weeks and having TERRIBLE break outs. AND hair is shedding more than it was. So not sure about spironolactone.

What I’m super, super nervous about is the PRP/CRP appointment I have scheduled for next week!
    I cannot shed anymore hair.
    I don’t have a wig on stand by yet.
    Do you feel like it was a positive experience?
    I am really doubting myself and feeling like I might be doing something to make it worse. Initially I had been hearing it helps decrease sheds so I jumped right on it.
    And now it’s too late to back out as the plane tickets are already purchased!
    The doctor I’ll be seeing uses mirconeedling and PRP/CRP.
    Are you or were you satisfied with usikg PRP? Will you continue?

16. Jtilly

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Tina,
    Late response to this post, but up late scouring the forums trying to decide if I should give birth control a shot or even go back on bio identical estradiol. Because I am losing my mind right along with ALL my hair.

I’m coming back to the idea of hormones because my estradiol always tests below 100, anywhere from the 20’s a few times, but averages in the 80’s.
    Progesterone is usually VERY low as is testosterone levels.
    Anyways, I was looking back at pics from when I was on HRT in May to July... and even in September after I had been off for a couple months, I noticed my eyebrows, eyelashes were very thick and dark, my hair was darker than usual and looked a lot better than it does now!
    I’ve been off hormones for 5 months and I’m losing more hair than ever before! Including pubic hair (sorry, TMI), eyelashes, eyebrows...
    Losing eyebrows and they are getting lighter in color. Skin is drying up bad..

I can’t imagine dealing with the side effects again, and don’t know how to balance estradiol and progesterone, unless I do birth control...

Gosh I don’t want to go down this rabbit hole again...
    Try something again, only to make it worse... But with messed up hormones, I don’t think it’s gonna correct itself and get better either..

Main reason I was writing you though is that I have a friend who tried progesterone cream for 2 weeks and it triggered 4 years of hair loss for her. She wears a wig now but is also slowly recovering her hair now. Said her hair is still crap but she said it’s getting better than it was.
    But you are right to think progesterone might have caused the hair issues.
    My friend said she has many friends who are on the exact same stuff she was and their hair is better than ever!
    Really goes to show it all affects everyone so differently.

I was on bio identical estradiol patch for 7 weeks. Never shed that entire time. But had horrible side effects.
    When I added bio identical progesterone pill for 2 weeks, after being on that for 2 weeks I started shedding. But even that shed wasn’t as bad as I’m shedding now.
    As I’ve told you in other threads I’m shedding 300-400 hairs a day now. In addition to losing the other hair.

Just trying so hard to figure out this new shed.. and how to address it.

Trying to figure out why my hair seemed to be getting thicker, better and less shedding in October and most of November.
    Like did I grow hair while I was on estradiol and by October it was becoming thicker from that stint of HRT?
    Ugh! The agony of not knowing!!