Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Prp Therapy For A 20 Year Old? Has Anyone Done It Long Term?

Discussion in 'Treatments for Androgenetic Alopecia' started by Ann Mac, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Ann Mac

Ann Mac New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I am only 20 years old and within 6 months I lost half of my bio hair due to androgenic alopecia. My hair loss is diffuse and my hair line is starting to recede. My dermatologist is acting swiftly, but I am not getting any improvement with any medications. My dermatologist's plan is perform PRP once a month for 3 months ($700 a month so $2,100 total) then determine if I should continue or stop. I wanted to know what anyones opinions and experiences were on this. If I REALLY wanted to do it I could make the money situation work.

2. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's mixed reviews because I think some people get good results but most who post do not.
    If you are having no luck with other treatments and are not overly concerned for the money then I would say from the severity of your hair loss at your age you have nothing to lose (sorry).
    It would only be the money--if that were an issue because that can go towards a good hair piece or future treatment that may be coming out i next 2-5 years (depending I am guessing on their time line) which will probably be expensive.

What medication are you taking?

the women who Spironolactone fails for have sometimes good results with Duta or finasteride but at your age idk if a Dr will prescribe it due to at conception birth defects. Although similar birth defects happen with Spironolactone so I am not informed enough to know the difference of 'why'.

I use topical finasteride which is supposed to have no side effects..I dont have any but I never got blood work to see if its lowering my T...but period and everything is normal..I have good results with it in combination with minoxidil.

Did your Dr check your ferritin when prescribing you treatment?
    Ferritin should be up around 70 when taking Spironolactone or using minoxidil because it makes the treatments work more efficiently...thats how it was for me at least and Dr Costarellis has a pub study on this.

3. mcat11

mcat11 Established Member

Dislikes Received: