Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Pur A Dor shampoo for shedding, thinning and receding hairlines WORKS

Discussion in 'Success Stories and Positive Outlook' started by Wolf924, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Phenix

Phenix Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    According to Amazon's Q&A:

The main difference is that this Gold label has a 100% natural preservative system that is plant based. The Blue label has phenoxyethanol as a preservative, which is not a natural but mild and safe preservative to use daily.

Also it contains Ketoconazole, I don't see it listed in the blue bottle.

2. bc2005

bc2005 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You guys who are using the shampoo...keep us up to date on your progress. I was reading the reviews online and MANY of them seemed fake (broken english, saying the same things in each post, etc) It makes me distrust a company who would pay people to write fake reviews. But I trust you guys! Thanks!

3. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So, I used it for the past 4 mornings. No complaints (nice smell etc) except that it does leave my hair with a slightly weird / waxy feeling that mycurlyhair mentioned. I don't love that (however a few other shampoos I've tried for hair loss leave my hair feeling the same way). I think it's about personal preference - what I don't love the mild 'waxy' feeling, other people might just say it makes their hair feel thicker.

I'm going to go back to using my old shampoo for now, because I'm very partial to it (it took me forever to find one that left my hair feeling soft and residue-less). I'm also already hopeful that my shed continues to decrease now that I'm supplementing enough to increase my ferritin again, so if I were to see shed improvement in the next 1-2 months, I wouldn't attribute it to the shampoo anyway (ie I'm probably not a fair judge). Once my hair is in a steady state, I think i will try it again so that I can be a better guinea pig for others here :)

And honestly, reading those reviews was a little unnerving! I didn't check them out until I saw your post, and you are spot on. All of the 1-3 star reviews I read are clearly written by real people, but many of the 5 star reviews are questionable..... using the same strange grammar, a lot of brief emotional/personal stories (which is atypical of amazon product reviews). That's not to say it's NOT a good product (it contains a lot of great stuff, and the fact that people like Wolf really like it makes me feel better) but I just don't really get what those reviews are all about.

4. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry it didnt work. I wonder why it makes some of our hair waxy feeling and other not? I was reading people get paid to try a product and then they must leave a 4-5 star review. How awful! :( What was the other shampoo you are going back too? I just bought another one on Amazon (money back Guarantee) with 2% Zinc but it SLS free. All the others have the SLS. Ill post if its any good.

5. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I gave it 5 stars and I am a real user. I do think it's a great shampoo. I've been using it for 7 months and I love it. So again, like all hair loss products I do think it works for some and not for others. But I do think people should at least give it a try because it's not expensive and doesn't carry a huge shed risk like rogaine.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Eliza I too would love to know what that shampoo is you're using! It's always good to rotate them!

6. JenVoy

JenVoy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've only used for a few days now. I wash every 2 days. I do notice the weird texture it leaves my hair. I'm assuming it is the nigella sativa (black cumin oil) I use the nigella sativa oil by itself in the AM or PM and it leave my hair feeling greasy, and waxy too. I believe it helps promote hair growth Wolf because of what I said before regarding the study that was done on that oil.Evaluation of a Therapeutic Alternative for Telogen Effluvium

Although I put .625 in a medicine dropper and put onto my scalp where I've lost the most hair. I do see sporadic growth there. Not enough to make up for the loss, but it's there!

Anyone that is only using the shampoo; I'd recommend leaving the shampoo in for 5 minutes and washing out of your hair. I think it would only have more benefits if left in for a longer period of time, to settle onto the scalp.

7. Eliza1990

Dislikes Received:
    Hey! My go-to shampoo (and conditioner) is Herbal Essence's smooth collection line (pink bottle). Its not marketed to help with hair loss (and I don't think it does) but it's been tough for me to find a shampoo that leaves my hair feeling clean without drying it out, despite me washing every day (I work out daily so between sweat and 2x Rogaine, I prefer to). Since I shampoo frequently, I like to be very generous in the amount of conditioner I use, and the conditioner leaves my hair feeling much softer than most expensive brands and residue-less no matter how much I use (but you don't need to use a lot either). I would highly recommend it if only to have on hand when you run out of your expensive hair products, because it's $4.99 per bottle. It smells wonderful (floral scent).

http://www.amazon.com/Herbal-Essenc..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0RD202DX48SNRRHV54HQ

The other shampoo I splurge on occasionally is Aveda invati. While it is marketed to help with hair loss, I don't think it does that (I've always been hesitant re: shampoo claims to help with hair loss unless it's to treat seb derm). I do like how it leaves my hair feeling though, and despite the expensive price tag, I still buy it 2x per year because I think Aveda products are a fun splurge (they remind me of the salon, which I haven't set foot in in a while ;) ) and smell wonderful. This one smells so FREAKING amazing and the scent lingers all day. I can't recommend that everyone goes out and buys a $37 shampoo just because it smells good, but its definitely a guilty pleasure :)

http://www.amazon.com/AVEDA-Invati-...446836387&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=amazon+invati

8. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well my initial decrease in shed was a fluke. I've been using this shampoo now for over two weeks and my hair fell out in clumps in the shower today! I'm not sure if this really does work..... I really think that 90% of the reviews on Amazon are fake! I will keep using it for another month though just to give it a fair shot.

9. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    I love the shampoo. I'm sorry that it isn't working for other people- I should have kept the review to myself. I'm hoping everyone didn't run out and purchase this and are upset. I'm dead serious when I say I love it and I'm a real user- not getting paid or anything! I love the smell and it does make my hair a bit waxy but it's really helped my scalp- itch and stuff is so much better since using

I don't think any shampoo esp an organic natural one would make your hair fall out in clumps unless you are having a severe allergic reaction to it.

10. Eliza1990

Dislikes Received:
    Wolf - speaking for myself, I am very grateful you posted your review! I'm so appreciative when folks post on this site about what works for them.

I'm still glad I bought it. I have plans to re-try it again once my shed hopefully goes down....I'm mainly just sensitive to adding something new into my routine right now as I want to see if increasing my ferritin helps my shed come down further :)

11. eco_girl

eco_girl Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    So I bought this shampoo a few weeks ago....and I have to say, my shedding in the shower is down by over half- what a pleasant surprise. I wash my hair every 2-3 days.....and even when I have a few days b/w washings the shed is still low. The shampoo is a bit drying....but I condition a bit more to offset.......wonder if in 6 months I will feel like I have more hair due to less shedding......my goal these days is retention of what's left more than trying to regrow.....

12. JenVoy

JenVoy Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi ladies,
    I've used Pur A dor shampoo for a few weeks now, and in the last 2 weeks my hair shed is worse! I have no idea if it's related to this shampoo, or perhaps it's due to my iron pills. It's truly frustrating as I thought my hair shedding was starting to get better. I pulled out tons of hair, while washing my hair today. I had a huge clump of hair that I placed on the tub, and then after trying to towel dry it, I pulled out tons more. It's frightening to think the shedding has gone back to what it is when this all started 4.5 months ago. I'm going to discontinue using the shampoo for now, to see if that was the cause.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. My hair seems to be worse after using it. I'm shedding way more than I was before. I'm not using it again.

13. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    Still using, and still loving it. Hair still continuing to improve. It does make my hair a bit waxy but I counteract with coconut oil only on the ends. I will continue to use this shampoo in my rotation.

14. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered this shampoo and have used it 2x now. I haven't noticed anything in terms of reduced shedding (shedding around 60-80 on non wash days and around 150 on wash days, once every 5 days,) but I do LOVE the way it smells and I find that it leaves my hair feeling thicker and very shiny. I have no doubt that some of those reviews are probably fake, but I do genuinely believe it is a good quality shampoo that might help with hair loss as part of a treatment plan. So thank you so much, Wolf! I'm using the one with ketocoanzale, not sure what color the label is and I think they may have changed their packaging. I leave it on for ~5 minutes. Itchiness has reduced since I've been using it, I think. I love that it has a pump too. I end up using a lot because it doesn't foam up well. Overall I love it and it will be my primary shampoo now.

15. viinca

viinca Member

Dislikes Received:
    I was actually considering getting it as well. I have made a list of the shampoos I want to get to fight my SD (if anyone has had experience using these please let me know!!)

Jason Dandruff Relief Shampoo
    Nioxin Scalp Recovery Medicating Cleanser
    Regenepure

I already use the John Masters Sage Shampoo (already use this, smells so nice!) and am thinking of getting Pura d'Or in blue. Is it safe to get from Amazon (I dont want to get a fake one :s)

16. mamaherrera

mamaherrera Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I too, am using it, but the problem for me, (no notice of difference in shedding) is that I have more dandruff. So it's not helping my scalp be healthy, as that was actually improving with Psoriaris shampoo, which is fragrance free. Also, since this suds up nothing, I had to use tons, and it was hard to get it applied evenly to the scalp.

17. Wolf924

Dislikes Received:
    Glad that you like it! I am still using it in my rotation and I really think its a good product.

18. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wolf, mine is the one with the gold label. I was under the impression that that was the only one with ketocoanzale. Is the blue label one better?