Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

quest about POS

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by CYNDI2008, Dec 17, 2008.

1. CYNDI2008

CYNDI2008 Guest

hi ladies,

i just had 1 question:...... I was never checked fro POS, I didnt think I had to because my peirods were always regular. i know that is one of the main symptoms, but can someone sill have it if thay have regular peirods?

2. angieangie

angieangie Guest

Yes! There are many symptoms to PCOS but you don't need to have all of them to haver PCOS. I'll all depends on what runs in your family and your symptoms will be based on that. If you come from a hairy family, you might have hirtusism (sp?) as a symptoms, if your dad is bald you might have hair loss... I have PCOS and my period is regular and I'm thin and non IR.

3. kimm

kimm Guest

I had regular periods until the summer of this year.

I think mine just progressed after the birth of my second child,
    and I ended up with to ovaries chock full o cysts. :(

I'm also thinner and non-ir.

Some clues would be...

- do you have any unwanted facial/body hair? (i have this)
    - hairloss? (this is what got me in for my diagnosis)
    - difficulty losing weight (not everyone has this)
    - tendency to gain weight in the middle (i don't have this)
    - adult acne (don't have this now but have in the past)

Other things I noticed (not sure if this is significant, but I think they happened to me because of my higher androgen levels)
    - increased or easy to build muscle mass
    - periods got lighter and shorter over time

But no matter what, it wouldn't hurt to get a hormone panel done and your insulin tested.

Hope this helps!

4. sadie_2008

sadie_2008 Guest

Hi - i have always had very regular, and very heavy, periods but was dx with PCOS in 2003. I know absent or irregular periods are cites as a major symptom but there are others. I experienced weight gain, acne and crown thinning. I managed to curtail the former two but not the latter :(

5. CYNDI2008

CYNDI2008 Guest

thanks ladies, I was under they assumption you would have abnormal periods in order to have POS. I am over weight, but can loose if I set my mind to it, and can loose pretty fast as long as I exercise.

I do get mild acne.... I have suffered with this all of my life, I mainly suffer in one spot - the right side of my chin.

I don't get unwanted hair. just HAIR LOSS! ...

If found out i have POS, how is this treated?

6. CYNDI2008

CYNDI2008 Guest

I have difused thinning :( , a friend of mine has pos, and she also has crown thinning, I have never discussed this with her, but to me it is quite visible.

7. kimm

kimm Guest

It depends on what you and your doctor decide.

Many women are on Metformin. The theory is that the underlying cause has to do with being insulin resistant (even if you don't test that way). It can make it easier to lose weight for those having trouble and hopefully lower your androgens some. It can also help some woman who are trying to get pregnant to ovulate if there's difficulty there.

The other treatment options are what most people on here are trying internally: Low androgen bcps like yasmin and androgen blockers like Spironolactone and flutamide.

There's a great site: Soulcysters.com where there's a very active message board and a wealth of information.

8. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

very heavy periods are also a sign of estrogen dominance which can definitely be a part of PCOS.

9. mjh

mjh Guest

My periods have always been very regular and I have PCOS. Ive always had hair growth on my arms and legs but I thought that was an ethnic thing so I didn't worry about it until my hair dramatically thinned. Then i did some research and realized that I probably' have PCOS.

PCOS is so complex.

10. CYNDI2008

CYNDI2008 Guest

nice! the hair leaves the head and goes to the parts of the body where you dont want it..... do you have children? if so, was it hard for you to conceive?

11. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

The dr says i have pcos also. and i know you're not asking me, but I've been pregnant and miscarried 3 times... though I was a teenager then. I doubt I'd even be able to get pregnant right now.

12. CYNDI2008

CYNDI2008 Guest

thanks shwag... yes, thats the reason why I asked. I also had a miscarriage around 3 yrs ago. my husband and I would like to have a baby in the near future. This has been a concern fro me.I hope I dont have any problems!

13. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

i definitely recommend going to soulcysters and fertilityfriend. there are tons of women having babies on soulcysters (pcos site) and fertility friend also has pcos women and ways to track if you're ovulating.

You have so many options my dear, it will happen :)

14. CYNDI2008

CYNDI2008 Guest

thanks, Its something to look into, we havent realy tried since my last miscarriage, but when we do I we have problems i will have to do someting. do women with POS oveulat? ... i know dumb question!

15. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

not commonly. That is the reason for the cysts. A few cysts start to grow (as normal) and then one of them takes over (while the other ones start shrinking back). The big one bursts, thus releasing the egg and you ovulate. With PCOS, you get the cysts because the big one never bursts. It just stays then the next month the other one stays. I don't know if the other cysts that grow shrink or if they stay too. Once you ovulate, that is when progesterone takes over, which is why PCOS women usually have very low progesterone (leading to estrogen dominance. More estrogen=more body hair and hair loss. It also =more testosterone. Upping your estrogen in theory means you grow more head hair, but not when there is no progesterone to counter it. It works against you.

I hope that explains it a little. Also, you can have a period and never ovulate too. Many women believe that if their periods are regular, they are ovulating but this is not true.

16. CYNDI2008

CYNDI2008 Guest

yes, thanks for explaining shwag,... Just 1 more quest ... can women get pregnent or if that do , do thay have a higher risk for a miscarriage?

17. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

its impossible to get pregnant if you aren't ovulating. You do have a higher risk of miscarrying because you need a TON of progesterone to hold the baby in place. A lot of women take progesterone pills to help them ovulate, and then take even more after they are pregnant. There is also metformin which helps reduce insulin resistance (which plays a role in lack of ovulation) and clomid which I think forces you to ovulate. I'm not sure if that's what the last one does but many women use it when they have trouble conceiving. There are a few other options, but I can't remember what they are since I was never trying to conceive (ttc). You should really look on those boards.

18. CYNDI2008

CYNDI2008 Guest

No, i know you cant get pregnent if your not ovulating, what i ment was can you still ovulate and have POS, and if you have POS do you have a higher risk of miscarriage?

19. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

if you aren't ovulating period, you are going to have to add something to help you ovulate... such as metformin, clomid, or the other options (that I can't remember). Some women with pcos ovulate, but I think for the majority, we need to have our androgens lowered before it happens.

I think the higher risk of miscarriage is linked to the lack of progesterone. I've heard yes and no for risk of miscarriage, but from what Ive seen, a lot of the pcos ladies have had miscarriages, and even many miscarriages. There have also been some women with pcos who conceive with no meds... so I guess it just depends on what's going on with your body. There are reproductive endocronologists that can take your hormone levels on specific days of your cycle and help you figure out what to do.

20. kimm

kimm Guest

hey cyndi -

I got pregnant twice without much trouble.

I now have two healthy boys :)

I'm just now experiencing wacky cycles and am on metformin to help remedy that.

So if we try for a third it will probably take a while.

But yes, you can have pcos and ovulate.

My sis has pcos and is now pregnant with her third child.

Try not to worry too much! :)