Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question About Bonding Toppers And Wigs

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by 4Robins, Jan 9, 2019.

1. 4Robins

4Robins Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi,

I've been considering the possibility of bonding a topper or even a full wig.

I have tried this in the past but it was disastrous, because I ordered a wig that was too big (measured myself, and didn't do it properly) and because the glue kept going all gooey and it itchy and it was just an overall mess.

If I do it again this time, I'm looking for a salon, getting measured there and doing (at least the first few) bondings there.

I just have a few questions that I'd like to ask people who use the method to see if this is for me:

.How long does the bond last?

.Is it comfortable, do you feel it squeezing your head (specially if it's a full wig)? Does it irritate your skin? Do you feel like it damages your skin in the long term?

.Did you have to shave your whole head?

.Do you do everyday tasks like showering, washing your head, exercising, swimming, etc, comfortably, as you would if you weren't wearing hair? Do you ever worry that the glue isn't strong enough?

.Do it ever get gooey and itchy?

.Do you do it yourself or at a salon?

Thank you in advance :)

I'm sorry I've been writing so often here lately. I'm just desperately trying to find an alternative to the clips and I don't know who else to ask..

2. cpwilley

cpwilley New Member

Dislikes Received:

3. cpwilley

cpwilley New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I use tape and that works well. Can even sleep in it (on a satin pillowslip) and take it off and wash it once a week. Can go longer if you want. Different kinds of tape (Hair Direct). I did go to Apollo once and got a topper and still have it. But have to wait until I can afford another one. Have not tried the toppers online yet.

4. Maria70

Maria70 New Member

Dislikes Received:

Hi
    I started bonding last summer after wearing a Gali topper for several years. Overall I prefer the bonded unit as I no longer have to keep my bedroom door shut from my children, remove my "hair" at night time and stressful times such as surgery/ at the gym is no longer an agonising wait to be discovered.

* The bond last 4 weeks for me. We have spent the last few months working out how long to leave between appointments and which adhesive/tape maintains the best hold and I think we are nearly there.

* Overall it is mostly comfortable. It can get very itchy and that is the worst part about it but then the clips on the topper were uncomfortable too so its understanding that there is no easy way to "replace" your hair.I don't feel like it is damaging my skin at all.

* I don't shave my whole head, only the outside track that the unit is bonded onto. The hair in the middle is cut very short. For those who have never done it, the first time this is done, well, it is hard. But it gets easier. Having a permanent virtually undiscoverable head of hair definitely outweighs the difficult appointment! Some people cover the mirror up which is an option if its too hard to watch but I have got used to it now.

*I go to the gym but I don't swim so I am afraid I can't answer your questions. I have quite greasy hair so I wash my hair (biological and additional) twice a week but I think this may well shorten the life of the unit. Every other day I scoop the additional hair into a clip on top of my head and wash my biological hair. Very easy. The glue hasn't always been strong enough but I carry glue around and you know when it is getting loose and can re glue the bit that has come unstuck. I have now gone to stronger thicker tape and have it rebonded every four weeks and I feel much more comfortable with the whole process.

* Yes parts of it can get gooey and itchy. It hasn't happened recently but I can keep you updated.

* I go to a salon as I think its doable but difficult to do it yourself.

I hope this helps. x