Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question about hair quality

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by dragonfly, Sep 15, 2011.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter recently got extensions. She knew it was Remy hair, but was told it was high quality. However, in just a couple weeks time it has started to snarl and knot up just during the course of her day to the point that it looks almost matted. I know I have seen information about this happening on here before, but I can't remember the particulars. I want to help her deal with her vendor, but I need to know what would cause the hair to do this. Any insights you ladies can provide would be greatly appreciated.

2. I have a remy wig that snarls really bad throughout the day.

Remy hair is great, and Remy means that the cuticles go in the same direction (so that the hair is smooth and tangle free).

the best hair is virgin remy, because alot of times remy is processed and the cuticles are stripped for various reasons like preservation and to make it stronger. Does that make sense?

So it snarls because the cuticles are pretty much gone and theres no smoothness.. I especially notice it after i've washed a wig, all the factory smoothing stuff comes off, and it starts to tangle. So I try to get Virgin remy.

I hope this helps!

3. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I wear a HH topper - the hair is not European and I believe that the cuticle is fully stripped. It is a MESS when wet - impossible to get a comb through w/o tons of conditioner. But, when it's dry, it never tangles on its own.

4. sessa555

sessa555 Guest

It is much less about the specific type, and more about how processed the hair has been (which you never truly know...my thin skin systems are all Asian or East Indian hair, and some do great and last several months while others tangle from the get-go. The one Remy/Euro blend system that I splurged on was the worst I have ever had and I have had bonded systems for 7 years now! There are simply no guarantees).

Finding a good spray-in conditioner has been a godsend...and they are difficult to find. The best out there (in my opinion...and I swear I have practically tried them all) is Biolage brand Daily Tonic spray-in. It makes all the difference in the world, and is available at Fred Meyer and Target.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for all your replies. The vendor ended up removing the extensions my daughter had in because they were such a matted mess, and ordered her others from a different supplier, at no cost to my daughter. So far these have been great. I will definitely pass on the information about the leave in spray. Thanks again, ladies :).