Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question about hormones

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Roxy711, May 20, 2015.

1. Roxy711

Roxy711 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So I went to my gynecologist today, and she prescribed me yasmin for birth control, and to help with pelvic pain and occasional acne breakouts. My dermatologist also said it will help with the hair loss, BUT, she also doesn't think I have Androgenetic Alopecia. I have been worried about it because since about age 18 or 19 I started getting dark hair on my abdomen, and occasional acne breakouts, which I had never had before. Then around age 20 or 21 I started finding a couple dark hairs on my chin and upper lip. I have lasered them now but when the hair loss started at 22 ( 2.5 years ago) I started worrying about pcos. I am not overweight, no insulin resistance, and when I had my testosterone tested it was in normal range and so was my shbg. (Though testosterone was higher end of normal) and DHEAS were okay. I also do have a monthly period, but with a 33-36 day cycle. My endo, gyno, and derm all say no pcos. The one thing that did come back as abnormal was my thyroid antibodies were elevated. My sister has Hashimoto's (and my hair loss has been and looks very similar to hers, and we have all the same issues and symptoms) and my mom, aunt, and cousin all have autoimmune conditions. I also have mostly all of the symptoms of thyroid disorder, but since my tsh came back at 3.5, they said I do not have it. My dermatologist is going to check my thyroid again in two months, but she thinks I just had TE the lasted a while and is taking a long time to recover. My loss is completely diffuse all over. The back is as bad as the top and the sides are worst (but I think they were a bit thinner to begin with). I guess my question after that long story is, is it possible for the yasmin to help my hair even if it is not due to Androgenetic Alopecia or pcos? I mean everything I have read says testosterone- bad for hair, estrogen- good for hair. So, I don't know where to go from here. Can the yasmin still help even of its not due to Androgenetic Alopecia? Will it further mess with my thyroid? I'm just worried and I am supposed to start taking it in the next few days when my period comes. Any input from anyone with info or experience would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

I should also mention that now that my sister is finally being treated for her thyroid, her hair is growing back and no longer falling out. And she has had hair loss for about 5 years.

2. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I heard good things about Yasmin because it has an antis frogmen in it. If my biopsy comes back as Androgenetic Alopecia I'm adding it to my regime. I also have dark Hayes on my stomach and some on upper lip. But I think that I need this biopsy before I make decisions on treatment and I've decided to start with Spironolactone and Yasmin and if needed add the rogaine later.

3. beelum

beelum Member

Dislikes Received:
    hair loss can also be related to pcos that can cause acne, excess facial hair growth and irregular periods. i have a mild case of pcos that only caused acne aroudn my jawline, lots of my hair on my chin and yes hair loss! i started taking birth control and my hair loss subsided in two weeks. and that was the case for the next 8 years! birth control can really help pcos related hair loss which is not necessarily Androgenetic Alopecia.

- - - Updated - - -

i know diane 35 is not available in the US. i think its available in canada and europe. it does wonders for pcos related hair loss and hormonal acne. not only does it help with the actual shedding, it promotes a lot of regrowth. while i was on diane 35 nobody could tell i had pcos and my hair was well..amazing! not anymore :(

4. Roxy711

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info ladies! It's been frustrating because all my doctors seem to think I don't have either condition, yet I have a few symptoms of pcos, and almost every symptom of hypothyroidism. When I asked them all why, they kind of shrugged and said, it's just you. No! It's not! These things never happened to me before. My gynecologist even asked me what kind of ethnicity was in my background to see if that's the reason for the body hair, but my background is white European as far back as I know, and I have very light skin with dark hair. I am going in for a pelvic ultrasound tomorrow to check my ovaries, but she wouldn't do more blood work. She told me that the Yasmin is the way to go either way, and I need it for birth control anyway. I have just always been kind of an anti drug person, and I'm a little scared to start using it.

5. Wolf924

Wolf924 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    What about Inositol? I think it's also for PCOS and I have started taking it. too soon to tell yet bit it makes me sleep well.

6. Roxy711

Dislikes Received:
    What is inositol? Also, all of my doctors do not think I have pcos because I am not overweight, ( though I was as a child) and I do not have insulin resistance, and I do get a pretty regular monthly period. Also infertility does not really run in my family. And anytime I do put on any weight at all it goes to my hips. My stomach is pretty flat. But I have generally stayed thin in adulthood. Even when I first asked my gyn about it she gave me a look as though she didn't think so, and said "well you don't look like someone I typically see with pcos..." It kind of upset me because I wanted her to take it seriously and not dismiss it. But when my tests came back "normal" and no insulin resistance, she said she was right and I do not have it. So now I finally got her to schedule an ultrasound of my ovaries, and it's tomorrow. Hopefully that will help give me some info. As for the thyroid thing, I absolutely thought that would be fine. My sister kept telling me she was convinced it was out of whack since we have most of the same symptoms, and autoimmune conditions run in our family, so when my antibodies were 4 times what they should be I got worried, but again they said they couldn't diagnose me based on that. So I am getting no where. I have been using rogaine once a day for about 4 months and I think it has helped some, but I have very dry skin and it has rally irritates my head. Even the foam. Plus I now wash my hair every other day for treatment, and that has really dried out my head. I used to only wash 1-2X per week because it takes about 5 days for my head to start getting oily. That kept my scalp healthy. But now with all the washing and rogaine its a dry mess! And I'm getting no where with doctors.

7. NoodleHead

NoodleHead Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Have you done an ultrasound to check the condition of your ovaries as well as checking your iron levels? Low iron in the body may contribute to hair loss. I have PCOS. I'm slim, no insulin resistance and I get a period every month. I've gotten break outs occasionally and I have hair loss which started three years ago. Both of my ovaries are polycystic too and recently I found out that I'm starting to have mild hirsutism. Pcos is pretty complex and not everyone who has it have similar symptoms. I hope you find out what's causing your hair loss and get treatment right away :)

8. Roxy711

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks noodlehead. Yeah it's been hard because doctors automatically assume I don't have it by looking at me which frustrates me. I don't know why else I would have some of the symptoms. But I actually got my doctor to give me a vaginal ultrasound about a month ago to check for cysts and there were none. But I also found out right after I got the yasmin that I am pregnant. So now I don't think I will ever get that diagnosis even if I may have some form of it. So now that I am pregnant obviously I can't try the yasmin and I had to stop rogaine (which worries me but it's been nice cause it was really irritating my head) but I'm hoping pregnancy will help with my hair for now. But now I'm even more worried about my elevated thyroid antibodies and my borderline tsh. They tested my tsh this week for me and it was 2.6, which is lower than my first test, but I read that in pregnancy it should be 2 or less. So now I'm worried.

9. NoodleHead

NoodleHead Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know that thyroid issues must be addressed even before pregnancy. I suggest you continue seeing an endocrinologist so that they can get you on the right treatment right away. And yes, I've heard that a lot of women get better hair during pregnancy :) And i know that some girls can have PCOS without having the ultrasound show that they've got polycystic ovaries. Mild hirsutism, acne and hair loss are signs of hormonal imbalance. I hope you see a doctor soon :)

10. megan99

megan99 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Roxy, I think with a TSH of 3.5 you should find another doctor who will treat you for hypothyroid. As soon as i saw that number I thought thyroid. See another doctor!

If it was me, I would just follow whatever treatment your sister is on and bypass the doctor all together.

But, I am sure you can find an alternative doctor that will put you on the same thyroid meds as your sister.

Also, why don't you try a low dose of spirolactone before yasmin? 75-100mg of Spironolactone is great for skin and will bring down your testosterone levels.

** just read that you are pregnant. Congratulations!!!

Good--you dodged a bullet with the yasmin:) Pregnancy might be the best thing for your hair. Look for an alternative doctor who will monitor your thyroid and, if need be, treat you during your pregnancy.

11. Heron

Heron Member

Dislikes Received:
    Agreed - a TSH of 3.5 should be treated. If you see an endocrinologist they will often treat at 3. General Practitioners will wait until lab values are screwed up.

12. Roxy711

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for all the support and suggestions ladies! The one endocrinologist I saw about 6 months ago said I absolutely don't have a thyroid problem even with elevated antibodies. He just wants me to have it checked every year. My sister told her doctor about my lab results and symptoms and he thinks I absolutley do have it and wants me to go see him, but unfortunately she lives in another state and my insurance won't cover me to see a doctor out of my own state :( I'm afraid my doctors are starting to think I'm a hypochondriac! But now I have a baby to think about which is much more important than hair, so I need someone to take me seriously.