Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question About Insulin Resistance

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by tibetie, Apr 30, 2009.

1. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

i think the only way to qualify for those programs is with insurance though. Like, the regular COPAY would be $10 for me, with insurance, but their program allows it to be $4, but the insurance is still picking up the rest of the cost. I would think that if you don't have insurance, you couldn't do one of those programs because there is no one to pick up the rest of the cost of the medicine.

I am not going to have insurance for 3 months and I don't know what I'm going to do. No insurance sucks! Thank God, I've always had it... but I definitely took it for granted until I'v had to deal with situations like this where I NEED meds and Drs.

2. missmyhair

missmyhair Guest

Thanks Kim! So are hypoglycemic and IR basically the same thing?

3. hwag5149

hwag5149 Guest

the hypo glycemic has to do with your blood sugar and the insulin resistance has to do with your insulin.

when you eat a piece of food, your blood sugar goes high, then insulin is released to take the sugar and put it in to your cells. If you are insulin resistant, your body doesn't feel/recognize the first burst of insulin and so your blood sugar stays higher.... it releases more and more until your body "feels" it and allows it to send the sugar in to the cells. Meanwhile your body has a ton of insulin floating around in it JUST to get that little bit of sugar in to your cells. Diabetes happens when your body either doesn't feel it at all anymore or your pancreas shuts down because it has been overworked for so long (that's where the insulin comes from). I don't know which is correct but it's one of those.

I don't understand hypoglycemia though I know I used to, or still do, have it. All I know about it is your blood sugar is too low but I don't know how it relates to every thing else. I think it is also a precursor to diabetes though.

4. tibetie

tibetie Guest

Hi April K-
    It's so frustrating because my endo didn't test my insulin levels over a 3 hour period...only my glucose levels. When I asked him about my insulin level, he only had the # for my fasting insulin. The glucose test came back in mid range, but it was the test for pregnant women. I guess that was an oversight...

Last November I started a diet where I eat 5 small meals a day. I try and pair a complex carb with a protein. I have tapered down, so I'd like to see if my insulin levels have gone down as well. My endo wasn't supportive of me going on Met because of the side effects. He also didn't think it was related to the hair loss. I'll be more pushy with him if I go through another TE.

5. catfancy

catfancy Guest

I can afford the drug (sorta) but my doctor won't refill my prescription unless I go in for a bunch of tests I couldn't afford. He's at the University Medical Center, and since I'm a student, they won't let me enroll if I don't pay my bills. I was unemployed 15 months and he didn't care. He wouldn't refill it, so I've been going without.

6. just4today

just4today Guest

nooo it doesn't work like that.

You have to look at the lab values to see where your levels SHOULD be. If you are in child rearing years, I THINK your estrogen should be around 100 and your progesterone has to be at least 5 in the luteal phase. I don't know how to explain it.

My estrogen was 50something (very low for my age) and my progesterone was so low that it couldn't even be read.[/quote]

Have you been able to improve your estrogen/progesterone levels? have the same issue, even lower than yours with no periods.

7. tibetie

tibetie Guest

I was looking at Dr. Redmond's site, and on the question of the month section, he explains why women who are on BCP's have low estrogen levels in their test results. So, I'm thinking that an estrogen level of 37 is not perimenopause now....

Quote from Redmond:
    "I frequently hear from women whose doctor said their estrogen was low when they are taking an OC. One, who was in her twenties, was even told she was in menopause because of a low estrogen level while on the pill.

This is WRONG!.

The pill suppresses the ovary, which is what it is supposed to do, to prevent pregnancy. However the pill supplies another form of estrogen, ethinyl estradiol, so that women on the pill have higher estrogen levels. The level only seems lower because the pill estrogen does not show up on the standard lab test.

There is detailed information on the pill and hair loss in my new book, The Hormonally Vulnerable Woman."