Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question about miniaturization

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by eggplant, Jan 9, 2015.

1. eggplant

eggplant Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I'm wondering you guys might be able to give me some feedback on my miniaturization (or large lack thereof) and what that might suggest in terms of a diagnosis (mainly: does it seem like Androgenetic Alopecia or not?)

I've probably lost about 60% of my hair since early-mid 2013 and it's still progressing. The only minaturization I'm seeing is some here and there along my forehead and temples in the case of some of the (very few) new hairs that have grown. Otherwise I haven't had much growth at all. It's pretty much hair falling out and not growing back. Is that how Androgenetic Alopecia usually manifests? Or is it more of a gradual thing where hairs just miniaturize more and more with each cycle until the follicle is dead?

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    My loss has been very gradual, starting in perimenopause. I don't think I had that much miniaturization in the beginning but lots now. I have a totally different hair texture - "cotton candy hair."

3. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    For me, I didn't notice miniaturization until I got my biopsy results, but looking back at pictures from a few years ago there were some signs of thinning that I just didn't notice. I never shed much hair until my stress-induced shed 18 months ago so I really have no idea what I'd look like today if that hadn't happened. I might be carrying on in an "Androgenetic Alopecia oblivion" for all I know. In a way I'm a little thankful (or crazy?) for the stress shed since I feel I caught this early to potentially save more of my natural hair for a longer period of time (I'm 39).

Once I got my biopsy results I started paying more attention to the diameter and texture of my hair, but my shed is very normal -- even minimal. And I have a ton of regrowth, it's just not covering up the spots that were hardest hit. I think my hair diameter is thinner, but it could just be in my head. The texture is definitely different within the last 6-12 months (see Lily's cotton candy hair comment).

To answer your question, yes, the process is a gradual thinning and shortening of each hair until the follicle doesn't produce hair anymore. I think the shedding that accompanies those changes is highly variable, which you can tell from all the stories shared here. We have one thing in common, but I don't think any of us arrived at this point in the same manner. I definitely have regrowth with Androgenetic Alopecia and I think that was due to giving it time since the shed, Nizoral shampoo, and supplements based on my Naturopath's recommendations. That said, I don't believe it's enough to maintain or improve what I have left so I started Rogaine this month.

I know you started the 50,000 IUs of Vitamin D weekly. I did the same thing shortly after my shed started (went from 18 to 40 in 12 weeks). When do you get your results? My shed stopped 2-3 weeks into the treatment, but that could have been completely coincidental.

4. eggplant

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been started on 50,000 IU (it was just something the PA thought I might have to do). I got my results a couple weeks ago, and just recently a letter interpreting my results and saying that I should go up to 2,000 IU of Vitamin D a day (I've been doing 1,000 IU daily in a multi-vitamin since the summer), and go up to 325 mg ferrous sulfate twice daily (I'd only been getting a smaller dosage in my multivitamin, although since the appointment in December I'd started adding in one of the 325 mg pills daily).

I really want to get a scalp biopsy and we did make an appointment for that, but it's at the end of March (I've been told to call and check for cancellations though). They do want me back in a month for bloodwork though.

5. Ginger1113

Ginger1113 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Eggplant,
    Just be careful taking that much iron. My ferritin was at 13 last April. I began taking one ferrous sulphate 325. After about 7 months , it was up way to high at 173. I took it every morning with a vitamin c. Just get your levels checked every few months because too high of a level can be dangerous too.

6. eggplant

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you for the important safety tip. I hadn't heard of anyone's shooting up like that. I suspect I'll be okay because even with the multi-vitamin iron I only went from 9.9 to 15 in six months. But I'll definitely be sure to schedule that bloodwork appointment.