Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question about pattern of hair loss - is diffuse loss suggestive of anything?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Eliza1990, Aug 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi all! I had a quick question for everyone.....over the past 1.5 years as I've experienced a very high, persistent shed and significant hair thinning as a result. One of the few things I can say with confidence that it's 100% diffuse. I shed from all parts of my head in equal measure - there is no part of my hair (even the back of my head/area close to my scalp) left unscathed. :) Equally, there is not really anywhere 'hardest hit', or certain spots where I see scalp, which I am grateful for. Given the incredible amount of hair I've shed, it's obviously thinned out significantly and my part has gotten noticeably wider as a result, but this is true of wherever I part my hair and examine it...top, sides, back etc.

Ignoring other variables for a moment, there any conclusions that can be made from the pattern of hair loss ?

2. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Although I can't be absolutely sure, it seems to me that even though female pattern hair loss is more generalized or diffuse than male pattern, I've read that a lot of the loss is at the top of the head, so there is usually still a pattern. This makes sense if you think about it, even in men with very progressive hair loss, the periphery around the scalp seems to remain covered. I've read that this is because those areas get a lot more blood flow because we use those muscles more, when we chew, etc, whereas the muscles on the top of the head experience atrophy (I think that's what it's called?) This is the premise behind Tom Haggerty's scalp exercise technique for hair loss.

So, having considered that, I agree with Sarah about the shedding in your case being all over your scalp suggesting TE. Diffuse alopecia areata is somewhat of a mystery to me because I thought alopecia areata involved patchy hair loss, but I don't know much about it. If you had diffuse Alopecia Areata, shouldn't you have found out through the biopsy? Also, I've read that Alopecia Areata is accompanied by scalp pain and other sensations in most people.

3. Emylou55

Emylou55 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mine is 100% defused and I've been diagnosed with Androgenetic Alopecia and TE though a scalp biopsy. I'm not showing typical Androgenetic Alopecia symptoms at all.

4. Eliza1990

Eliza1990 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Same, Emylou. Someone commented on a different thread a few days ago that their derm said everyone over 25 exhibits some amount of Androgenetic Alopecia (it's a process we'll all inevitably experience as we age, though the pace/whether we'll ever notice varies). Personally, beyond using Rogaine - which doesn't seem to do anything for me - my Androgenetic Alopecia doesn't really affect how I approach my hair loss. My gut tells me something else is at play besides the Androgenetic Alopecia (or perhaps aggravating it) causing the extremely high, relentless shed and that's what I want to identify.