Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question about styling foam

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by dragonfly, Nov 15, 2010.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I washed my fall last night and decided not to use any of the styling foam as I really like my hair soft. However, it doesn't have the oomph I want today, so my question is: Do I have to rewet it and use the foam, or would it work to put it on dry hair and let it set over night?

2. Roses

Roses Guest

That is a good question Dragonfly. I have always used the mousse she recommends so I don't know what would happen if I didn't use it. My falls have lots of volume and bounce so I don't know if they wouldn't if I didn't use it. Sorry I'm not much help here.

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think I'm just going to wet it down again when I get home and put the foam in. It just doesn't have the body with out it.

4. Beliza

Beliza Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Did you try to wet the piece and hang it upside down to dry? This could give you volume without the foam. What can also help, is to wet the hair and blowdry the inside of the cap, while running your fingers through the "roots" at the outside of the cap. I do that to give my pieces some height on top, and I like my hair soft as well.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, Beliza. I got home too late to try anything last night, but will give give your suggestions a shot tonight. I never thought of blowdrying the cap as I try not to use any heat on the piece as I don't want to dry the hair out, but using a bit of heat on that cap wouldn't hurt the hair. So, when you hang it upside down, how exactly do you do that? Do you leave the piece on the styro head and suspend the whole thing, or do you just hang the piece and, if so, how? I must not have much imagination cz I just can't seem to get it in my head how to do it.

6. Beliza

Beliza Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I secure the styrofoam head on a stand and pin the wig upside down on its back (pin at the nape). Then I blowdry the inside of the cap with one hand and I loosen the roots on the other side of the cap with the other hand. Maybe it's best not to wet the hair too much, because it would loosen the knots. On silk tops/monotops and mesh it's not so much of a problem as on lace, but still. Better be safe!

I blowdry the inside of the cap so the heat will only come where it's needed and not on the rest of the hair.