Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question about Testosterone

Discussion in 'The Undiagnosed' started by Arisemysoul, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Arisemysoul

Arisemysoul Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Hi everyone. I have been experiencing hair loss since the beginning of this year. I think, looking back, my hair started thinning a few year ago. But when it started shedding in large amounts, it got my attention! I have been to 2 different integrative doctors and my dermatologist. The later was no help at all. Said it was TE because he could pull out hair all over my head. When I kept questioning him about the thinning at my temples and crowns, he said, "Well it could be TE with a little Androgenetic Alopecia." He said I could try Spironolactone. But when he said I would have to be tested every so often to make sure it wasn't causing kidney problems, I decided not to take it. He was more worried about my ferriten levels being a little on the low side.

But my question is my latest blood test showed my testosterone serum was in the middle of the range while my free testosterone is actually in the low/normal range. I had blood work done a couple of years ago when my testosterone was actually higher and I didn't have massive hair loss then. Can you body suddenly become sensitive to DHT no matter how high or low your testosterone levels are?

I really think my troubles began when my periods started getting more regular 2 years ago. I have always, always had irregular periods. Now I have a period every 28-38 days. They can be heavy at times. I am now 44 years old. I am not taking BCP because I had a tubal ligation a few years back. I will always believe that caused my hormones to eventually mess up. They even have a name for it: Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome. I have many of the symptoms including one of the top five symptoms--HAIR LOSS.

Sorry to go on and on. I guess you just try so hard to pinpoint a cause for all this loss in the hopes there will be a cure. Will I ever get to a point when I can just let it go!

I would love anyones opinion or similar experiences about this. I love this website. It has helped me so much already. I am blown away at how helpful and sweet everyone is.

2. mshistory

mshistory Guest

I think androgenic alopecia in women is more complicated than just a sensitivity to DHT. If our hair loss were caused just by DHT as in men, then Propecia would work as well for us...but it doesn't. Honestly, I think researchers and clinicians really don't understand the exact causes of androgenic alopecia in women. You do not have to have abnormal levels of testosterone to have Androgenetic Alopecia (mine are on the lower side of normal) and I still have Androgenetic Alopecia. It could be triggered by birth control pills, pregnancy, menopause and it certainly makes sense that tubal ligation may trigger it.

I'm probably not answering your questions at all, but just wanted to share that testosterone levels are really pretty irrelevant when it comes to Androgenetic Alopecia in women (unless they're really high, which may indicate other medical problems).

3. Arisemysoul

Arisemysoul Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Actually you did help answer my questions. I think that it makes perfect sense that there is a lot more to hair loss than just the DHT. For instance none of the women in my family have had trouble with hair loss. And even in the case of my tubal ligation, it does not affect everyone the same way. I have 2 cousins and an aunt who had them with no apparent problems.

I have been hormonally sensitive all my life. I didn't get my period until I was 15. I have always been irregular. Yet I never had trouble getting pregnant. Hence the reason for the tubal ligation ;) But I had severe post partum depression after each child. Now with my periods getting "more regular" in my old age I feel worse than ever. And of course the hair loss makes me feel worse also.