Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

question- added pics.

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by beachlover24, May 3, 2009.

1. beachlover24

beachlover24 Guest

Hi. I am new to all of this and have a question. I went to the dermatologist the other day due to a thin round area of hair on the front of my scalp, as well as an area on the side/back area of my scalp. He told me it was alopecia areata, but I am confused because the spots are not bald, just a lot thinner than the rest of my hair. He said he didnt think it was genetic hair thinning because of the pattern of the hair loss. Is it possible to have alopecia areata when i dont have bald spots, just spots that are really thin. Am i just being paranoid that he diagnosed me wrong?
    By the way Im 24 years old and I have a identical twin sister and she does not have this probelm.Oh, andI have inflammation of the thyriod and hypothyriodism, but my endo doesn't think its bad enough to put me on meds. Anyway, hope everyone is doing well! Thanks for the feedback! The 2nd pic is of the side/back spot. It all looks way worse than i thought it would.

2. summer

summer Member

Dislikes Received:
    Re: question

Hi beachlover

I have Alopecia Areata but that doesn't make me an expert. I think it might be better for you if you go for a second opinion. sometimes it's long to have an appointment but at least you will be more sure of what you got so you can treat it as fast as you can. I know that before being completely bald the spots start showing as areas with less hair, that's what happened to me. Although I had one spot and it became huge. I hope you find an answer fast.

3. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

I dont have typical Androgenetic Alopecia although my hair has thinned all over my head I have spots like you describe. On my nape an inch up the hair is see thru and only grows about an inch long. I have same type of spots over ears down to nape area and this year my sides are doing the same. There is an alopecia called diffuse unpatterened alopecia which seems to fit the bill for me. Derms have been of little help to me. :dunno:

4. beachlover24

beachlover24 Guest

Thank you both for the feedback. I am still just reall upset and confused, because I really don't know where to go to get a second opinion. I feel that my stress about this is only making it worse. My derm prescribed me some type of topical steriod " clobetasol proprionate". He said it will take three months to work. I just really wonder how he came up with his daignosis. He said he sees alopecia areata "all the time". By the way, I do not have thinning on any other area of my head other than the two spots I have described. I am just feeling really lost at this point, because I do not really know what to do next. I am also very stressed because I have exams for school right now, and I keep dwelling my hair loss. It isnt that bad, so I feel like I am just being crazy. Thanks for listening, it really helps!

5. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

For your own benefit maybe you can make an appt with your primary care dr or an endo. and have some bloodwork done. Its good to know your levels so you can see whats going on with your system. They will usually start with cbc, ferritin, sex hormones and thyroid panel.

Good luck with your exams and easier said than done, try not to stress about the hairloss too much.....

6. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:

Welcome ((((((((beachlover)))))))) I understand the stress you are feeling at this time. I have had Alopecia Areata on and off most of my life since I was 4.

I'm not a doctor but I have seen & met many people with Alopecia Areata. If you could put up a picture of these 2 areas on your head it would give a better idea of what may be going on with your hair.

In the meantime I would consider using the topical steroid he prescribed as that is one of the prescribed treatments for Alopecia Areata . The topical steroids work well at jumpstarting regrowth in cases of Alopecia Areata where the loss is minimal.

I'm a twin as well. I have a twin brother. He has never had a bout of Alopecia Areata though he has male pattern baldness. That's completely different than Alopecia Areata.

Some people have experineced a bout of Alopecia Areata after a stressful event in their lives. However I don't think stress in and of istelf causes Alopecia Areata as who in their life can say they've never been stressed and yet only 2% of the world's population gets Alopecia Areata. There are even babies who get this condition .

We're here to help in any way we can.

Take care. Hugs, Joann

7. beachlover24

beachlover24 Guest

Well those are the pics! They look far worse than I thought they would, my part does not look that bad in real life. I guess the flash really excentuates (sp) what I didn't really notice before.

8. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

Im no expert on hairloss but it doesnt look like the Alopecia Areata ive seen, your hair looks strong and the front type of thinning can happen in Androgenetic Alopecia, thyroid hairloss and a te.

Why wouldnt your dr treat you if you are hypothyroid.? The longer hypo is untreated the worse the hairloss can get.

Im hoping someone who has Alopecia Areata looks at these I may be wrong >

:dunno:

9. beachlover24

beachlover24 Guest

Im not sure. My GP wanted to start me on Meds, but my endo wants to wait for my blood tests in June. I told her my hair has been thinning in the front ( as i didnt notice the back spot until I went to the derm), and she said she doesnt think it is thyriod related. My thyriod level was 5.65 (ish) a few months ago. It varies from 2 to almost 6. I Have been feeling a lot worse lately than before though. I am hoping is it my thryiod, but who knows. It could be Androgenetic Alopecia, but no one in my family appears to have it. Thanks again for any input.
    Oh I called to get all my recent bloodwork sent to my derm. thanks for the blood work idea!

10. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

Good luck with this all, that tsh appears high. Hopefully he checks for thyroid anti-bodies also your number will bounce all over in that case.

11. beachlover24

beachlover24 Guest

I know i have to anti-bodies because I have inflammation of the thyriod, and that how they determine it. I think I most likely have hashimoto's.

12. brokendreams

brokendreams Guest

Yes that is what it sounds like....

13. Joann

Joann Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Hi beachlover,

Looking at the pictures you've posted of your hairloss it does not look like any case of Alopecia Areata I've ever seen.

I hope you get answers soon.

Hugs, Joann

14. alicat

alicat Guest

Hey!

Your pics don't look too bad, but it's your hair so I understand that for YOU, this is bad. I just wanted to add that I *think* your hair loss looks like early Androgenetic Alopecia, but not Alopecia Areata. But I am not a doctor.

I hope you get everything sorted out. I know that thyroid problems can cause hair loss. I have hypothyroidism.

15. Vlal

Vlal Guest

It looks like TE or Androgenetic Alopecia... not Alopecia Areata. As others said, thyroid problems could definitely cause that type of loss (thinning). I think you should definitely seek a second opinion.

Good luck!

16. alicat

alicat Guest

oh god. take it from me..please---demand to get your thyroid treated if you can. i have had the same disease for many many many years, but my doctor wouldn't treat me because my tsh wasn't high enough for him to do so. i saw an endo who immediately treated me, but alas, my hair loss is too far gone now. maybe you can reverse this hair loss stuff?!?! i only wish i knew then what i know now.

17. Blue Bird

Blue Bird Guest

LADIES

I THINK SHE THINKS Alopecia Areata MEANS ANDROGENETIC ALOPECIA, INSTEAD OF ALOPECIA AREATA.

Beachlover

You look like you have some Androgenetic Alopecia- androgenetic alopecia

Alopecia Areata means Alopecia Areata, FYI.

18. beachlover24

beachlover24 Guest

my derm told me alopecia areata. I didnt know what it was. So i looked it up realized thats not what my hair looks like at all. He told me that it didnt look like genetic hairloss, and that it would grow back most likely. I was feeling okay about it, but when I realized my hair did NOT look like Alopecia Areata I got confused. I dont really understand how he could get it confused. My hair is still rather thick for the most part , so maybe he wasnt really paying much attention. The front part is really the only area that is noticable.

19. miche777

miche777 Guest

I don't see any pics. :(

20. meowchica

meowchica Guest

Did you take down the pictures already? I would like to look at them if possible.