Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question for Dr. Bauman

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by Lauren37, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Lauren37

Lauren37 Guest

Dr. Bauman - Why is Rogaine recommended for women with either diffuse hairloss or hairloss that follows male pattern baldness? I ask this question since the packaging clearly states that it is only for hairloss that is focused around the crown. In your experience, can Rogaine improve hairloss on the top of the head as well, or is it just the crown. You opinion is greatly appreciated!

2. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Very interesting information--thanks for sharing it with us. Why is it, do you think, that some women respond to Rogaine while others don't? It seems like there are very few success stories out there for women like me--genetic Androgenetic Alopecia starting in perimenopause (I'm now 59, totally past menopause). I started using Rogaine when it was available by prescription only but my hair loss has lowly marched forward to the point that I feel my only choice now is a topper. I appreciate your taking your time to help us out.

3. sunflwr

sunflwr Guest

[EDIT] oops, misread something earlier, never mind!

thank you, Dr. B., for being so informative :)

4. tao

tao Guest

Dr Bauman, my endo has given me the choice of cyproterone acetate or dutasteride. Have you any experience with these drugs? Would you recommend one over the other, or neither?

5. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    "Are you using the 2% or 5% Minoxidil?"

Since I started out when it was available by rx only it was 2% but switched to 5% when it came out. I found it extremely hard on my scalp, however, and then tried 2% a.m. and 5% p.m. I'm now using the 5% foam once a day.

6. dying curls

dying curls Guest

Dr,

I have hairloss due to pcos. I am on the bcp and 10 pill of 50mg acetate cyprosterone a month...Both my gyn and dermatologyst told me that they had many patient in my case that regrew all of their hair with this treatment. My derm looked at my scalp and told me there was no reason i should not regrow a full hair of hair. I have also heard of young women in my case that experienced full regrowth...I know this is not a consultation, but do you think it is possible, or do people and doctors just try to reasure me...my derm also prescribed minoxidil 2percent at night for three months..she says this will speed up the regrowth and that since my hormones are now back to normal they will maintain the regrowth of minoxidil and i wont need to use it indefinetely...
    this sounds too good..

7. BLYNN

BLYNN Guest

to Dr Bauman

do you think the hand held ;aser comb that you sell works just as good as the in house unit?

8. dying curls

dying curls Guest

i am also on iron supplement because my ferritin is at 16, it was at 14 last year when i experience massive shedding during nine month after which i went on treatment. my scalp shows,and my derm reckon my density on top is affected.

9. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Do you have an opinion as to why lasers and medications like Propecia and Avodart would work with some women and not with others? I felt like I stuck with each one for a long enough period of time but never saw any positive results. I wonder if there is a greater chance of success with women who are still menstruating than those who are in or past menopause. Thanks!

10. marie31

marie31 Guest

Dr. Bauman,
    do you know if it would be okay to use 5% foam minoxidil if I also have to use cormax from time to time on small parts of my scalp?
    Thanks

11. Cloud

Cloud New Member

Dislikes Received:
    Re: to Dr Bauman; in-office vs. hand-held lasers

Dear dr Bauman, I have some questions with regard to various types of hand-held lasers. On the website of the Gaunitz laser it is stated that you have to use their laser every day for 4 minutes. However, on other products' sites (e.g. Hairmax) it is stressed that it is of the utmost importance to always leave a day between treatments.
    These conflicting instructions are really confusing me. Could you please shed some light on this?

Also, what is your opinion on lasers using more than 5mW output (e.g. Aculas using 20mW, 50mW and 80mW laser beams)? Could more output in mW mean a stronger and better laser? Or doesn't it work that way?

Finally would 'scatter' lasers (as used by Aculas) be a better option than the classic 'barrel' lasers, since they provide better coverage?

Thanks. Your input on this forum is much appreciated.

Regards,
    Cloud