Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question for Karen

Discussion in 'Women's Alopecia Areata' started by maisydaisy, Jul 2, 2006.

1. maisydaisy

maisydaisy Guest

Hi Karen,
    I remember you saying that you had about 80% loss last year and that cortisone shots helped you grow it back. Did you start getting the shots when you still had 80% loss or once it started growing back? How many shots did you get in each round?
    I've got almost total loss and my derm says the loss is so severe he can't do the cortisone shots.

2. Karen

Karen Guest

Hi Maisy

I had 80% loss in October 2005. My derm and I decided not to do the shots and my next appointment was in January. In November, I believe, is when I used the white iodine - I used in November every night and then cut it down to every other - I was using Rogaine and Cordran lotion too. Maisy, I don't know what put it in remission. I'd like to believe it was the iodine but I'm not sure or it could have been a combination of the previous set of shots, the rogaine, the cordran and the iodine. As for the number of shots, it depended on how much I could take at one time. We tried to get a little in every patch. This last round was only 10 - but I can remember my derm doing 40 - 50.

3. maisydaisy

maisydaisy Guest

Thanks, Karen. I've considered the white iodine, but I have really sensitive skin anyway and I'm afraid I'll get a really bad reaction with it. Did you ever get anything like that?

4. Karen

Karen Guest

Sara

No reaction - I put a little on one spot on my head and waited three days -when there was nothing I put a little more on and did the same. I was afraid too. It tingled and it smelled and it was cold. I could live with that.