Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question for long term (2+ years) Rogaine users

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by sarvnaz123, May 9, 2016.

1. sarvnaz123

sarvnaz123 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have a question for long term (2+ years) Rogaine users. Is it normal for your shed to go up and down after finding success with Rogaine?
    I have been using Rogaine foam 5%/x1 a day for the last 15 months. I am not on anything else, No Spironolactone, propecia or any sort of BCP. It took me about 4 months (April 2015) to see noticeable increase in growth wit Rogaine and about 7 months (July 2015) to see reduction in hair loss. I used to lose ~130hair/day and last July it went down to about 80, and even lower (65) through Aug, Sept, and Oct... Then in November, it went up to around 80 again, then back down to 65 for Dec, Jan, and even lower (in 50s) for Feb and March, but for the last month and half, it is back up to about 75 again... Is this normal? I am trying not to panic and keep telling myself that I am still better off than before Rogaine and that like the last couple of times, it will go down again, but it is really hard.
    I have had huge success with Rogaine. I would say, I have seen at least 15-20% improvements both in the number of hairs on my head as well as increased thickness of each strand, so I hate to lose that, and every time, I see hairloss increase, I get scared that Rogiane might stop working for me. So, I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this and if this is normal with Rogaine. I guess, I just need some success stories to keep me motivated to continue treatment.
    I have kept track of my progress via pictures if anyone is interested. Thanks for you response in advanced.

2. labellavita1985

labellavita1985 Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    My understanding is that shedding fluctuations are the norm with Rogaine. I would absolutely love to see pictures.

3. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    I tried to posts some pcitures, but the site doesn't let me :(. It tells me it is too big. What do I need to do to shrink them?

- - - Updated - - -

before 12015.jpg

After 52016.jpg
    The first one is Jan 2015, the last one is May 2016.

4. mycurlyhair

mycurlyhair Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! What a differance! What was the cause of your hair loss? Sorry, I dont use it but just wanted to comment.

5. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Well, it would be Androgenetic Alopecia. However, it is slow progressing. I went to a hair transplant surgeon and he told me he doesn't see active and progressive Androgenetic Alopecia and said that o would be a great candidate for rogaine or laser hair treatment. Hence I started rogaine. Needless to say, I have seen great results and would be thrilled if I get to keep what I've got. But every time the shedding increases, I get really scared that I might go back to square one. Hence the reason for this post. I would love to hear success stories of long term rogaine users.
    I was going to post a picture if the volume of my hair do you could see the difference but the site won't let me.

6. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Sarvnaz- wow! Your hair looks thick & beautiful! I'm 3.5 months into Rogaine 5% foam once a day. I see some improvement in some areas & worsening in others I think. I see regrowth, but my hair is still shedding. Also, my (initial)Rogaine regrowth is thin & almost worthless. I'm hoping these strands thicken & grow into semi thick hairs. Did your regrowth start off as thin?

7. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Sheeny,
    I really didn't see any noticeble difference regrowth until about 4.5 month and my shedding didn't really slow down until about 7 month after using Rogaine. However, I never noticed any area of my scalp getting worst. I have baby fine hair (eventhough it might not look like it in the picture), so it was hard to tell the thin regrowth from real terminal hair regrowth, but I did realize shedding more fine and short, thin hair than terminal long hairs.

Here is a picture of the side of my hair where you can see how much volume increase I have gotten. I wish I had a before picture, but this is basically 30% more hair than I had before. As I said, I really would like to keep the improvements I have gotten so far even if it doesn't get much better than this, but everytime the shedding goes up, I get scared.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. sheeny

sheeny Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Your hair looks so good! Thanks for responding back to me:eek:

9. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Sheeny,
    Your welcome. I suggest you keep up with the rogaine for another 4 months before deciding whether it works for you or not. How are you applying the rogaine? You need to make sure it gets to your scalp and rub it in. Also, have you had any other tests to rule out Vit D, and Iron deficiency? Those can really contribute.
    I do have to say that my hair looks MUCH better to the eye than to the touch. I can really fool people (even experienced hair stylists) in pictures and in person until they get to touch my hair. If I put my hair in a pony, the circumference is barely around 3" on my good days. I think since I have dark curly hair, it naturally has some volume and the dark color gives it dimension, but even before any hair loss, I never had a full head of thick hair (my hair is baby fine) and I am not expecting Rogaine to give me that, but IT has improved the scalp coverage, so I don't feel so self conscious (like I was feeling) when under a bright light or in the sun.

10. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, your shed will fluctuate. I've been on rogaine for almost 4 years and I go through periods of high sheds every 6 months or so. I always have a ton of regrowth after the sheds, so try not to worry too much!

11. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for responding JeHope,
    Does your periods of high shed more than you were losing pre Rogaine, or are they just a tad higher than normal?
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for responding JeHope,
    Does your periods of high shed more than you were losing pre Rogaine, or are they just a tad higher than normal?
    Thanks

12. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I would say I have one shed a year where the amount I lose is similar to the dread shed that I experienced when I first started rogaine, which is a scary amount of hair! Then I will have one or two more sheds per year where my shedding is elevated to about the same amount of hair I used to shed pre-rogaine.

13. mellie

mellie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have a quick question on what the beginning of "regrowth" looks like. Especially for Jehope since her regrowth was amazing but also all of Rogaine users who have had success. Did you experience tons of little flyaways that made your hair look like a mess for several months or was the growth pretty much blending right away. I'm not on anything right now except for the pill and I'm seeing a ton of regrowth on the top of my head but my hair is still thin and shedding. It looks like I have a birds nest but it doesn't really add any thickness or density. It's just a bunch of little hairs that stick out. I've been told I have Androgenetic Alopecia and I'm debating whether to start Rogaine. I just want to know if this is how hair regrowth on Rogaine or if I'm experiencing Androgenetic Alopecia regrowth (i.e. Hair that looks like crap!).

14. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks JeHope,
    How long do your sheds typically last?

- - - Updated - - -

Mellie,
    For me, after 4 months on Rogaine, when I would part my hair, I would see TONS of 0.5"-1" hairs sticking out at my part... I mean a lot more that what was normal for me. Now, after 15 months on Rogaine, I have 1" sections of hair that are 4" long, places where I used to have thinner hair and I know it is Rogaine.
    One thing I realized on Rogaine specially if you put it all over your scalp is that it helps the stronger/thicker areas first before you see the results in the thinner/weaker areas.... I always had a thick and short hairline and bushy temples. My problem areas is the around the crown and back of my head. but I started using Rogaine all over my head when I started. within 6 weeks, my temples and hairline got rediculously hairy. I didn't think that could happen, but it did. IT wasnt' until 9 months after using Rogaine when I saw visible improvements at my crown. So I would say pay attention to the areas of your scalp where you have more/stronger hair first if you want to see if rogaine is working for you. Specially if you put it all over your scalp.

15. mellie

mellie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by all over your scalp? do you put it in other areas than top (in multiple parts) and vertex?

16. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, at first, I open up a center part, all the way from hairline to vertex, and put it all along my middle part, then I open another 2 part(s) one inch to either side of my middle part and do the same thing and so on. I open up about 7 parts all in all from about one inch above my ear on one side going to the other side. then at the end I put some more Rogaine just on my vertex area.

If you go to the Rogaine website, there is a video that shows how this is done. Here is the link to it:

http://www.womensrogaine.com/beauty-style/thinning-hair-care/how-to-use?icid=subnav

I followed the video, but I open up a few more parts than is shown in the video.

Does than help?

17. rva207

rva207 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Mellie,

My texture changed to cotton candy-like before I started Rogaine. I'm coming up on the 1.5 year mark with Rogaine. My Rogaine regrowth is also poor texture, but more kinky and it tends to stand up in all directions even when it's several inches long. Also, the texture is only a problem on the top layer of hair -- hairs coming from the crown and vertex. Underneath that hair everything is smooth and shiny. I'm guessing that's due to a lesser effect of DHT on those areas of the scalp compared to the hardest hit areas of the crown and vertex? Other people's Rogaine regrowth looks so smooth so maybe it depends on how bad the texture was prior to starting? I'm hoping with successive hair cycles the texture will improve as the condition of the follicles improve, but I'm years away from knowing since hair cycles can be 3 years long. We have hard water and it definitely brings out the worst in my hair. My hair is so much smoother and easier to style when I visit places with soft water.

I agree with sarvnaz that healthier areas respond faster than those hardest hit. I also apply Rogaine in the same manner she does.

18. sarvnaz123

Dislikes Received:
    JeHope,
    How long do your sheds typically last?