Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question for Metformin Users

Discussion in 'PCOS Community' started by deb35, Aug 2, 2011.

1. deb35

deb35 Guest

Today the doctor confirmed I have PCOS and I am insulin resistant. He wants me to take Metformin. I am already losing 100 hairs a day. I don't think I can handle losing any more. Those of you taking Metformin has your hair loss improved or gotten worse after taking it.

Thanks
    Debbie

2. Kristi

Kristi Guest

Hi Deb35,

Sorry you have PCOS, but I am glad that you were able to get a diagnosis. I have PCOS and I am also insulin resistant to the point that I already had diabetes by the time I was diagnosed last year.

First of all, I LOVE Metformin. It has helped me tremendously in many ways. I take the extended release formula. My RE had me start with 500 mg with dinner for two weeks, then increased to 1000 mg for the second two weeks, until finally I reached my current dosage of 1500 mg per day. She said if my fasting insulin remains high then she will increase me up to the max doage of 2000 mg per day. They gradually increase dosage to help with digestive side effects. I had no issues. There is an immediate release formula also, but I have no experience with that one. Regarding my hair, I would say it is better for having taken it. Prior to using Metformin it seemed that any hair that fell out simply did not grow back in, but now the hair that falls out seems to at least makes an attempt to grow back. That's so much more than I could say before. My shed increased slightly at the 3 month mark, but that is probably to be expected. However, I can't say that I have seen any new growth. I think it has only helped hair that fell out while taking it. And that hair still does not seem to grow very long so far, but I try not to analyze my hair anymore so I could be wrong. I think I had hair loss for a long time before I noticed what was going on (possibly since 2003). So, if your loss started more recently than mine did you may have much better results. My RE said it may help my hair to an extent but suggested the usual Spironolactone and BCP for better results regarding hair.

Metformin helped with lowering my A1C from 6.9 down to 5.6. And also in just 3 months it dropped my Total Cholesterol from 226 down to 188, which is lower than it had been in years. I always forget that Insulin is a powerful hormone in itself and by getting it under control we help the rest of our hormones work as they should. And by lowering your Insulin levels, it will definitely help with lowering your Testosterone. I haven't missed a period since starting it. Prior to starting I missed a couple cycles here and there. I have also lost 25 lbs while using Metformin. I'm not saying the weight loss is because of Metformin, but it does help my body process food the way it is supposed to I think. I lost weight through diet changes mostly and now I just recently joined the YMCA, so I can start working out to lose additional weight. I can now eat occassional carbs without it instantly making me gain weight like it used to. It will be a year in October since I started it. I return to the RE next month for more blood work and to look into the other options for my hair.

Good luck! :)