Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Question from Kids about Hairloss

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by Mom2Cuties, May 5, 2010.

1. Mom2Cuties

Mom2Cuties Member

Dislikes Received:
    I have three boys: a 11 month old, 4 yr old, and a 6 yr old. THey seem my head all the time....never say anything about it because it is really all they know, I suppose. Sure they have told me that they can see my brain, but that was when they were a bit younger.

In the next several weeks, I will be getting a Flora fall. She sent one to me, and I never tried it on around them. I wore it after they went to bed or when I was upstairs by myself.

How do I explain to them about the piece? My 6 year old knows no stranger. I know I can have the conversation with him about the fall, but I am so nervous that he is going to tell everyone about it.

Has anyone dealt with this issue? Any advice??

2. Roses

Roses Guest

I also have small children and I have not told them about my supplemental hair. I put it on in private and take it off in private. I know they would be telling everyone they meet that mommy wears a wig. I'm not ready for that at this point, maybe later I won't care but for now I do. I just wear a hat/scarf around the house so they never notice. It is hard to keep it from them but for me it is worth keeping my privacy for a bit longer.

3. Canuck

Canuck Guest

I wondered this too...I will need to start with a piece soon and wondered what my daughter would say. She is with me all the time and always watches me getting read, make up, even hangs out in the bathroom while I shower. She is just two...and my husband is rarely ever home and works out of town. She is mischievious...lol and I have to keep her near me so she doesn't get in trouble! so me playing with new hair....I wondered what I would do, I figured if she is young enough, she won't think much different about it and if she asks "what's that?" which I imagine she would...I would just say my hair (that's my plan anyhow). I don't think I would ever use the word "wig" as she would always call it that. She watches me put in my contact lenses and says "mommy's putting in eyes" lol So if she asked what I was doing, I'd say "mommy is doing my hair" As for older kids...I wouldn't say "wig" either....maybe just say "my new hair". Sorry, not great advice....this hair loss is getting to me.

4. Mom2Cuties

Mom2Cuties Member

Dislikes Received:
    Canuck, I think that if it is just part of your routine from when she is young, it may be easier like you said. I love that she asks and watches everything you do. Adorable!

5. so-lost

so-lost Guest

Someone here at one point said that they called it their "helper hair". I think that was daisylover. I have 9 & 12 year olds and though I am glad I didn't go through this at an even younger age, I do think it would be easier if it was just a way of life, normal thing for them, rather than a shocking transition.

6. Canuck

Canuck Guest

LOL yeah my daughter is pretty funny...at two, she asks to wear "make up" ever since she had chapped lips and I put on chap stick on her. She also freaks out if she can't wear deodorant too. She watches me apply it, and than holds up her arms...so I put the cap back on and pretend to put it on her...she even hands me my specific "hair towel" as soon as I turn off the shower, immediately followed by my "body towel". She is VERY particular and VERY observant! haha