Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Random Question about silk top hair pieces

Discussion in 'Wigs, Extensions, Toppers & Hair Systems' started by Bummer, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Bummer

Bummer Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know on hand tied lace hair pieces (no silk) you can ventilate the hair to lie in a particular direction/style, instead of having it be "freestyle". I'm curious to know if that can be done with the silk top section of lace units, or if the construction of that section makes it unrealistic.

Thanks!

2. kiki11974

kiki11974 Guest

Not sure if this answers your question, but I will give it a shot. I've had silk top human hair full lace wigs. From my experience, the hair doesn't lay I any particular direction (unless you train it to do so) and it truly looks like it is growing our of your scalp. I've also had wigs with thin skin that produce identical results.

3. Bummer

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Kiki. That does answer my question.

However, I'm curious how you go about disguising the lace to silk transition in the front. I'm finding that I think it's too noticeable but can't really figure out how to make it less so.

Thanks!

4. Vlal

Vlal Guest

Traditionally the way a silk top works is that the hair is ventilated to lace, then a top layer of fabric is added over the top of this (the silk or whatever material the company uses to replicate flesh tone... popular at the moment is a kind of very fine monofilament). The hair is then pulled through the fabric. This is why a 'silk top' used to be called a drawn through parting - also because it was usually only a parting area, not the whole vertex/top of the wig.

The way a fixed part line is achieved on lace means the hair cannot pivot freely on the 'axis' where it is ventilated to the lace. Instead the hair always falls in the specified (at the time of knotting) direction. However, once the hair is drawn through the silk top fabric, the 'fixed' element that you get with fixed part lines is lost as the hair is now freely pivoting from where it emerges out of the fabric and there is nothing to stop it going whichever way you wish it to go (except for the hair perhaps being a little on the coarse/stiff side).

5. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    How are you parting, Bummer? I might be able to help :)

6. Bummer

Dislikes Received:
    I part on the left, almost at my left temple. Is that what you meant by "how"? My current hairstyle has some long(ish) side swept bangs. Any advice is much appreciated. :)

7. Hennared

Hennared Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, that's what I meant!

Ok well, this might work for you - if you work the bulk of the sideswept bangs up a bit from the root , say, by spraying them damp and give them a bit of a flip with the comb away from the part, then nudge them back towards the part. basically you are trying to work them to swoop towards the demarcation line a bit, by lifting the hair a bit at the root.. so the bangs provide a bit of 'overshadowing' of that edge. Is that clear?

Additionally to that - if your parting is that far over, this should be easy - take a little bit of hair in the very front edge and of the side swept bang, thick enough in depth that it covers the demarcation line, and work that hair over to the other side.. ie, a tiny zig-zag at the parting line edge that covers the demarcation. If there is enough bang hair in the piece and you fiddle with it, I think this could work for you. Just enough hair and not too much, and it can look quite natural. I hope this helps!

8. Bummer

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Hennared,

I think I understand what you are describing. I'll do a bit of experimenting and see if I can make things look more natural.

Thx for the suggestions. :)