Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Recent hair transplant patient

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by AsianFemale37, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Sisters,
    I am new here. I am a South Asian woman, and I started losing my hair in my early 20s. At 31 I had one hair transplant procedure (about 400 grafts) and I had permanent shock loss and really came worse. Although now I cannot be sure because my loss is quite severe for my age.

Seven days ago I had another procedure. I researched the doctor, and I flew out to his office (across the country). I am still in the in-pain, very-swollen, scabs-itch situation.

I see that there are some women here who have had hair transplant procedures, and I really need both practical and emotional support as I start this journey forward. I have many questions, so if I can get some help, I will appreciate it.

Also, if there are women who are interested in hair transplant, I will be happy to chronicle the procedure for you. It is not what it is advertised it to be--it is a surgery and not as simple as those Bosley ads make them out to be.

Peace.

2. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

Hi, welcome to the boards. I myself have never had a hair transplant, that would not do anything for my condition, alopecia areata.

However, i am more than willing and able to provide support as you go through the process.

There are women here, i am sure, who can share their own hair transplant experiences.

3. Thank you VERY much for offering your support. I really need a shoulder to rest my head on. The entire ordeal has been very stressful and all other forums are just full of men--and obnoxious men.

Thank you, again.

4. scraggy

scraggy Guest

Hi Asianfemale,

Welcome to our world of kind and caring ladies...i do hope your procedure turns out well, i just posted that my friend had 3 of these hair transplant 's done..and she has told me all about it, i have not seen her, we met on some hair site,and have become very good friends..she lives in Canada, i live in the USA...anyhow, she says it has helped her, but did not give her the amount of hair she wants... :( and she cannot have another one done, as she does not have the money...BUT she is happy she did it..so i am sure you will ultimately be a bit happier...i know it took quite some time after the surgeries before she was even remotely happy..soo truly, i do hope you will feel a little better, and i will be here all the time to suport you..some days i am "grumpy".. :( grrrr as this hair thing truly does drain me, i have a burning scalp which truly puts me over the edge at times, as i am "constantly" reminded of my dam hair, or lack there of..besides the fact its so light etc etc.... Do let us know how you are feeling ok...

Love....Scraggy

5. rayneStormRN

rayneStormRN Guest

we are all going through the same thing, in one form or another.

Androgenetic Alopecia
    Alopecia Areata
    AT
    Alopecia Universalis

and any others i missed, i know those are the majors.

We all, one day, weather it's a slow process, or it's a all of the sudden (in the case of Alopecia Areata..............at........................Alopecia Universalis............)

society has decided, hey, men can lose hair, women don't.

Society is wrong.

And you've come to the right place to find that the support is there, and you should NEVER be ashamed.

6. angel706

angel706 Guest

Asian Female, I had a hair transplant in February of 2006. I hope I can help provide some of the support you need by answering questions, etc.

I know for me, the last year and a half has been quite the rolleroaster of waiting for results (I didn't see much going on until about five months out), then waiting and waiting to see how much coverage I would get. No doubt about it, it's not an easy ride. I wish the best for you.

If you have questions, ask away.

7. Hi Scraggy,
    No worries on having grumpy days! I think I have had a grumpy decade now. I am just plain exhausted at this point. Thank you for your support (for all your support). I have needed this a lot.

Scraggy, does your friend who got 3 HTs come to this site? I feel good that she is happy that she did have the procedures. She is right that the procedure will never ever bring back our hair and it will never be able to fill out the hair. I went for this procedure with my eyes more open, and now I just want the illusion of full hair. I know that I will have to use Toppik for the rest of my life.

I am just worried that the hair transplant won't push my existing hair into shock and make me lose that hair as well.

Worry, worry!

Scraggy, why do you have a burning scalp? Is that part of your loss? I can imagine how that would put you over the edge! It must make you more aware of your hair and scalp all the time. Does aloe vera or hazel oil help any? Come in and just vent and I will at least try to offer a listening ear.

8. RayneStorm (hope I spelt it right!):
    You are right--society is so wrong. I am working--through therapy--on my shame about the loss. I hope I can work through my issues. Thank you for your support.

Angel: I want ALL the support you can give me!!!!!! Anything you can provide me with will be sooo, sooo, sooo appreciated. Do you have a thread where you documented your journey? If not, this can be our thread!

Here are some of my questions, and please feel free to take your time--I don't want to impose:
    1. How many grafts did you get? Where in your head were you grafts placed? Did you have the grafts spread out or massed together?

2. I am now 8 days post op, and the scabs are pretty stuck on. For the first three days I washed my hair by just pouring shampoo bubbled water over my grafts. After 5 days, I showered regularly and had the shower water hit my head and I shampooed just normally (without pressing on the grafts too much). What was your experience? Did you have a lot of time before you could get the grafts to shed?

3. Did you have shock loss? When did you start noticing shock loss, if you had any?

4. Did you use anything--like Emu oil or Aloe--to ease itching. Actually, did you get itching, because I want to scratch my head off!

5. How long was it before you could sleep on your back? My donor area is still very sore. My doctor says that it is healing okay, but I am now getting worried, so I will go back to the doctor on Monday. Did you have a hard time with the donor area?

6. Did you use rogaine, as recommended? When did you start using it? Did it help?

(I will have more questions for you, if that's okay. Going through this so alone is the hardest part of all this).

Angel, my heart goes out to you. Know that you are very brave. This is NOT a simple surgery. It is such a long and painful process. I will try to help as much as I can.

may I ask, since it has been an year and half (within which time my doctor tells me that all the hair that should grow will have grown), do you feel that you got the coverage you had hoped for? Do you feel that you are thicker (as thick as surgery promises--which is not much). Do you regret your decision? Do you feel you lost more hair than gained any?

I hope my questions are not too intrusive. Please feel free to ignore any questions that you feel are too personal.

My best to you all.

9. scraggy

scraggy Guest

Hi Asian female..

Lovely to hear from you, its late here , and i should be in bed, what am i saying, i should be sleeping..hehe..will just drop you a few lines and speak more in the morning..

My friend does not come onto this site, but if u have any questions, i will be happy to ask her, and fwd the reply. My scalp burning has been here 2 yrs give or take, (and hair loss 15yrs)it just arrived one day, and like with any pain, u think oh it will go away, u wait, is does not, u go to the derm..and they give u some dumb shampoo and roll their eyes, say they sorry or whatever..and thats it..i have done searches on the web and it seems sadly many woman have this and there is no cure for it, have no idea what the hell it is..soo i kind of live with it, yes i can NEVER forget abut my hairloss, because of the dam pain...oh well (sigh) i do know stress aggravates it, and i have cut out sugar and its slightly less..i supose in a way its like the hair loss..no body can fix it..just sucks and thats putting it "nicely".. :shock: i could use some choice words believe me...aaanyhow, my day was fun,and i am once again trying to see the glass half full as aposed to half empty...now dont worry about your hair ok..the procedure is behind you, your job is to be good to your body and mind, so it can heal your wounds and your new hair can quietly get on with its job of growing...ok...try anyhow...i am pooped, i need to get to sleep..so i will say goodnight...i think u are in a different time zone than me..where do u live if i may ask...? i am in San francisco, but was born in South Africa, been in the USA for 12 yrs..quite a little life i have had hehe....oh i am 56, how old are you, sorry if these are nosy questions, i think u did say your age...i cant remember...sleep well...
    Love...Scraggy

10. scraggy

scraggy Guest

asian lady....ps..how silly u have the no 37 on here, so that could be your age..right.. :D see its late i told you...nite nite...scraggy

11. scraggy,
    first of all, YAAAAY to you having a good day and seeing things as half full. I have moments like that :))), but I need to work on having days and then weeks like that. But I am happy that you had a good day!!! :p

Your scalp burning issue seems strange to me (sorry, I don't mean to offend). I haven't heard of it before, and I am sorry that there is no cure (is there a cure for ANYTHING??? :evil: . Medicine seems to be about symptom suppression and not about cures.) I have itchy scalp, and that drives me nuts, so having a burning scalp must be so terrible. I am sorry. Have you asked your doctor is rogaine is a culprit? Anyway, I am sure that you have looked at everything, but I will also do some google searches and see if I can find anything that can help you.

Thank you for your words about my hair transplant. I really am obsessing about it. I am just waiting for the grafts to fall out (they should in the next week) and have my sutures taken out (in a couple of days), and then maybe I will relax and let time be the decider. But knowing me, :roll: , I am going to stress, stress, stress. I will try to not whine as much. I promise.

We are not in a different time zone! I am also on the west coast (oregon), but I am a complete insomniac :cry: and I have been forever. How awesome that you are from South Africa. There is a sizable Asian population there. One of my favorite authors is Nadine Gordimer. So you have been in the US for 12 years? Are you adjusting all right? I have been here for about 20 years, and I am getting used to the culture only now :D . I still feel culture shock, but I also feel culture shock when I go back to my country, especially because women all have ridiculously long and thick and straight black hair. I want to scream when I see that :cry: . My sisters and female cousins all look like models, with their long, long hair, and then there's me :lol: . I tell them that I got the brains :p .

I will love to hear more about your life story (if you feel comfortable in a public forum.) I am still hesitant about personal details (I had a bad experience in another forum--not related to hair) and I have been very wary since then.

Hope you had a good night of sleep!

(And yes, I am 37 years old. No children. Not married.)

12. scraggy

scraggy Guest

Hi AF..

Hope u slept well...when u finally got to bed..! i was like you , an insomniac...when i lived in SA, i had the luxury to not work, i was married, and so could just do as i please....but now, well i have to force myself to sleep, not easy caus i am a nite person by nature...soo its actually fatal to go online late or read etc, because i can go on way into the night....and then ofcours in the morning, cant move... :shock: not good when u working... :D

I have a daughter who is almost your age...i am sorry u had a bad experience on some other boards...i have never been on any other place, and maybe i am way to gulible, i love the ladies on here, think they are pretty special, i do hope i am right about them...but yes it is a public forum, so i supose we never know...and u dont want to "wash" ur linen in public.. :( mind u i am pretty open, sort of dont care, it is what it is..like it or lump it sort of thing...hehe... I do know Nadine Gordimers work...and i have not been home since i moved here, i have had my family come visit me here, my mom and dad are dead....and my only child is here with me..so no reason to go home, have a stepson in the USA with his wife and kids...sooo why go back, plus SA is going down the drain so fast, very very depressing the news i get from there via my sister , nieces an nephew's... :( and i am so dam thankful my daughter and i are here...and ofcourse we live in THE most beautiful city in the world...i love it here, simply adore it..

Now i have to say that you have to somehow try and not stress...really AL i am not kidding..stress kills you , so imagine what its doing to those little hairs....?????? noooo good honest , and you know lack of sleep can also have a very bad affect oh your health....now listen to me..i am now going to get on my little soap box and say...sleep and lack of stress will save your hair...noooooo i am not...(smile) i wish that was the answer...but i am saying it does sooo much damage to our bodies, and in your case...you new hair depends on you r system working 100% soo these 2 things i think will harm your new hair...and hey..u can do both...dont stress..and sleep... :shock: hehe...but truly try ok... I know all the people in you life have wonderful hair...and i think that must really suck from your point of view...my other friend who had the hair transplant is an Indian lady..sooo she is also faced with that...everyone has great hair...now for me...well i have just plan old yukkie caucasian hair...always hated it, as its so fine and hard to get into some style..so have worn it up most of my life...wished at times it were nicer, but just sort of got on with my life, but 15 yrs ago i had a huge thing go on with me in SA ..and i am sure that is where it all started, had 2 surgeries and finally got on a plane with a suitcase, left my husband and came to SF where my daughter already was (thats the quick version of that..hehe) but you know ..its helps nothing to say it was this or that which casued my hairloss...its gone, and i am now here with this shitty little amount of hair, and i need to somehow find peace with this...and try and make these days i am living happy and peacful..i can say that the last 2 odd yrs i have wasted sooo many hrs and hrs and hrs thinking about HAIR....24/7 and what did it help me....i will tell you...NOTHING...i wasted these yrs...stressed myself out so much, sooo i am now trying to be happy, i know many things are a state of mind, i TRULY believe it, i had a thing with my knee...anyhow when i got my mind around that, i could walk with no pain..( this is absolutely true) hey i still have an iffy knee...BUT i can walk, and have no pain...and thats what i have to say about my hair (to myself) and that is.." I have hair" becuase thats true...AL it really is..thats all i have to keep saying...all the time , its like programming ur brain, if we can do that, the thing being IF...then we really can feel better about ourselves, and thats all we want isnt it..??? oh listen to me sounding like a bloody preacher here, i make myself laugh, becuase i am really not like that in life, i am a live and let live kind of person..always have been...but i want to share the things with everyone i feel will help the way we feel about our hair..., if we can dam well get it to work... :D mind over matter sort of thing.

I plan to start a new Isabele Allende book this morning, i love her writing...soo time for me to go and make a cup of tea...i do hope you have a nice Sunday...

The pain in my scalp , a few of the ladies on here do have it...and i have nooo idea what the hell causes it...mythreeboys on this site, has it soo badly...much worse than me, and i wish i had a dam answer for all of us..but i dont...hey maybe if we drop a hammer on our foot, we will think about that pain, and not the burning scalp.. :shock: really sucks as u can never escape thinking about ur dam hair..(sigh) aggg you know, it could be worse, we could have lost a limb or an eye..my god, what would we do then...??? i best start counting the good things in my life, as there are many....

Speak to u later...

Love...Scraggy

13. angel706

angel706 Guest

Hey there, I will do my best to answer your questions. Here goes:

1. How many grafts did you get? Where in your head were you grafts placed? Did you have the grafts spread out or massed together?
    I had about 1550 grafts placed into my temples. Mine had receded and thinned when I was about 17, and never really came back. I probably got about 30-35 grafts/cm2. Maybe a touch less right at the hairline.

2. I am now 8 days post op, and the scabs are pretty stuck on. For the first three days I washed my hair by just pouring shampoo bubbled water over my grafts. After 5 days, I showered regularly and had the shower water hit my head and I shampooed just normally (without pressing on the grafts too much). What was your experience? Did you have a lot of time before you could get the grafts to shed?
    I was VERY careful the first week...patted the grafts lightly with sudsed-up shampoo, then rinsed by pouring a cup of water over my head. It was probably about day 10 before I started washing the area carefully and letting the water from the showerhead hit my scalp. My scabs didn't all come off until about day 16-17.

3. Did you have shock loss? When did you start noticing shock loss, if you had any?
    I had some definite shock loss around the margins of where my word was done. I noticed it after all the scabs came off and I finally started feeling like I could run my hands through my hair again...for about 2-3 days, I shed TONS of hair. After that, it tapered off. I think most of that hair eventually came back, but I may have suffered some minor shock loss that was permanent.

4. Did you use anything--like Emu oil or Aloe--to ease itching. Actually, did you get itching, because I want to scratch my head off!
    Yep, I had the itchies, too. I would spray on the saline solution that my doctor provided...it seemed to help to keep the area moist

5. How long was it before you could sleep on your back? My donor area is still very sore. My doctor says that it is healing okay, but I am now getting worried, so I will go back to the doctor on Monday. Did you have a hard time with the donor area?
    Sleeping was a tricky arrangement for the first two weeks. Because my grafts were placed in my temples and I am a side-sleeper, I committed to sleeping in a recliner for the first two weeks. I DID NOT want to dislodge any of those babies by sleeping on my sides! I put a pillow behind my head to make it more comfortable for my donor area. Oh, and I took Ambien CR for those two weeks. It helped me get a pretty good 5-6 hour stretch of sleep before I would wake up.

6. Did you use rogaine, as recommended? When did you start using it? Did it help?
    I am personally very opposed to using Rogaine. I had tried it for a few weeks back in 2003, and the itching and flaking were unbearable. Also had a lot of facial hair growth. And I couldn't commit to a lifetime of using it, knowing that if I got pregnant again I would have to discontinue it. Also, Rogaine hasn't been shown to be nearly as effective in the temple/frontal area, which was where my loss had occurred. I will not consider using Rogaine in the future. It's just not for me.

If you think of other questions, let me know!

14. angel706

angel706 Guest

Oops, forgot to answer this question...which is really the "money question," isn't it? ;-)

may I ask, since it has been an year and half (within which time my doctor tells me that all the hair that should grow will have grown), do you feel that you got the coverage you had hoped for? Do you feel that you are thicker (as thick as surgery promises--which is not much). Do you regret your decision? Do you feel you lost more hair than gained any?

I didn't really get the coverage I had hoped for. Like I said, I probably ended up with about 30-35 grafts/cm2. In a perfect world, I think about double that would have been enough to make me totally satisfied. But I don't regret having it done. It DID make a difference, and I don't think I had much permanent shock loss...maybe a little, but not a lot. I only wish, in hindsight, that I would not have limited my choice of doctor to who was within driving distance. For me, that was a big factor at the time, as I had three very small boys (ages 5, 3 and 1 then) and could not fly off by myself somewhere for 2-3 days, and didn't want to fly all of them somewhere as a whole family, either. My doctor does good solid work, but I don't think he is able of achieving the really high density or "dense packed" work that would have been what I needed to make me feel like this effort was a bang-up success.

15. wall

wall Guest

I am so sorry to hear about your experience. I too had a hair transplant approx. 1 1/2 years ago. I had very little pain. I was in a "twillight state" during the proceedure. The donor site was a little sore for a week, but was fine after my stiches were removed.

The sites where the hair was placed itched for about a week, but it never hurt. Have you called the surgeon? I would page him/her and relay your symptoms. That does not sound right to me.

I would be happy to answer any questions about my experience. I agree, it is not a proceedure to approach light heartedly. It took me 3 years to decide and I still do not think hair transplant is for everyone.

If there is anything I can do or information about my experience please do not hesitate to ask.

16. scraggy, angel, and wall: Thank you for your posts, and more than anything, your support. I want to take my time and respond because your response has made me think about the procedure I had. I am exhausted from two rather tiring days of work, so I am going to try and get some sleep.

I want to mention quickly that scraggy, I completely agree with you that stress is a factor in hair loss. I went through a pretty traumatic even about 4 months ago, and now I can see (as my hair goes through the cycle) just the immensity of effect it had on my hair. Between the stressful situation and the shock to the scalp b/c of the transplant, I am realizing now that I have very few hair on top of my head. I realized it today when I looked in the mirror and I barely have hair to cover the scabs :( . I hope that in a few months all this hair will come back, but more than anything, I need to work on relaxing and really appreciating the fact that I am making things worse by stressing about work and countless other things.

Okay, I will respond to your posts another day (thank you so much for the lovely posts). Wall, I sent a very long email to the hair transplant doctor today but I haven't heard back from him. I'll see if he gets back to me soon.

At this point, I am waiting for the scabs to fall off (I really want them GONE :x ) and for my sutures to be taken out (I am going in on Wednesday for that).

I will keep you posted, and I will start posting some pics so I can document the amount of shock loss and how the hair (hopefully) starts to come back in.

17. This is so disturbing. Scraggy, Angel, and Wall, I posted a LONG response to all three of you last night, and the post just never appeared here.

:evil: This is now my 3rd post to disappear. Is this a common thing in this forum? How do Admins decide to delete certain posts and not others.

:evil: :evil: :( :x . I will try to post my comments again :lol: .

A BIG, BIG, BIG THANKS to you all for writing. And I really have been writing back. Really :cry: .

I will write more because i have so much to say, but first I will try to unwind after a long day.

I did go to my therapist this evening, and she did help me try to focus on the positive, and to have realistic expectations. Anyway, I will fill you all in soon!

18. scraggy

scraggy Guest

AF...thats yuk that ur posting has not appeared, i have not had one vanish after i post it, i loose them before i post them,.hehe..

AAAAny how..i loved all ur cross faces...too cute, even tho you are :twisted: :twisted: ..well i hope you manage to unwind, great you had a good sesion with your therapist...i am going to be my "own therapist"..hehe how you like that plan...(smile) the price is right...hehe

Tomorrow is Wed, an i love that, means the week end is in sight... I am going towatch dancing with the stars, its the only programme i make an effort to watch, as i love the dancing, and they are pretty good actually. I do ofcourse watch Pbs all the English Mystery programmes..thats Friday and Sunday night i make the effort .

Glad to hear from you anyhow...i know its a pain that the posting is not here, when u up to it, write again...here is a thought, when u write a long posting,copy it and then if it does not show up, u just post it again...(smile)

Have a good evening....Scraggy

19. Hi Scraggy,
    I will remember to save my posts from now on. That is wise advice.

I want to recreate my post, but I have a quick question for both Wall and Angel (in my earlier--vanished--post) I responded to all your points, but this will be a short one:

I am at day 11/12 and my scabs are still very tightly on my head. I know that this a point when the scabs should be loosening. I am shampooing once a day and massaging the grafts to loosen them and then letting the water hit my head. I am going to wait until day 16 and THEN PANIC :wink: .

Will post more later. I am REALLY happy to hear that even though the procedure did not give you the density you wanted, the process was something that was not a complete waste. That is good for me to hear because my emotions are on a crazy roller coaster ride and I don't even know when the ride will stop!

20. angel706

angel706 Guest

Don't panic yet about the scabs still remaining. Like I said, I still had quite a few of mine about day 17...that was when I finally got a little more aggressive about massaging them (still gently!) to help them loosen.

Remember, once you're past about day 7 after surgery, those little babies are seated in your scalp and are pretty much set. Even if the little transplanted hairs come out with the scab, that is no worry. The only way you should be concerned is if you remove the scab and the site starts bleeding. That could mean you dislodged a transplant. Don't want to do that! Not at about $4-5 a pop! :lol: Still, I'd give it a few more days before you started getting more aggressive. They can't stay there forever, can they?

And I've had posts disappear into thin air, too. Quite frustrating, to be frank about it. It's one of the main reasons I don't post on here a lot.