Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Recent Procedure

Discussion in 'Hair Transplants for Women' started by DallasMom, Dec 18, 2006.

1. DallasMom

DallasMom Guest

All - I wanted to let you know that I VERY RECENTLY had a hair transplant procedure done. All in all, the procedure itself was not at all painful although the only real discomfort came the next day or so on the donor site. I have not had to use any pain medication...only a bit of Motrin. My graft sites do not look anywhere as bad as I thought they would be and my husband was pleasantly surprised to see that I did not come looking like Frankenstein. I had so many questions prior to the procedure and would ba happy to answer any if someone has one. :)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for updating us Dallas! :) Did they give you local anesthesia? Could you feel it during at all?

How long did the procedure take?

3. DallasMom

DallasMom Guest

Yes - I had a local applied pretty much all over my head and could not feel a thing during the procedure. The procedure began around 8:00 am and concluded at 3:00 pm. I want to let everyone know that one week later, I'm pretty much back to normal. It took me about a year and half to contemplate having the procedure, but after I made the decision, I had the appointment scheduled and my flight booked within a few hours! It's a difficult decision to make, but well worth it.

4. wall

wall Guest

Hair Transplant

Hi Dallas Mom,
    I also had a HTP in Dallas. I had mine aprox. 6 months ago and I am starting to see some significant growth. I was curious about the doctor you chose for the proceedure.

wall

5. DallasMom

DallasMom Guest

Wall - I actually flew to Florida to have mine done, although I was considering Dr. Lam for some time in Dallas.

6. DallasMom

DallasMom Guest

Wall - sorry, I acidentally hit the submit before I finished my response. I'm really glad to hear that you are seeing significant growth. Do you mind if I ask how many grafts you received and where they are located? How long before you began seeing any hairs appear? Where you pleased with your procedure?

7. wall

wall Guest

Dallas Mom

Please feel free to ask any questions regarding the HTP. When I was researching Dr.'s, I thought it was hard to find women willing to talk about the proceedure -- or at least online. So, feel free to ask me any question.

I went to Dr. Lam and I can not say enough kind words about him and his practice. I would highly recommend him for hair transplant or any other facial PS.

I believe my total number was aprox. 3,000. The majority of the hairs were placed in the front (hairline) he also placed some along my part. For me the hardest part is waiting for the hair to grow longer. I have significant growth; however, it is in that "in-between" stage.

8. wall

wall Guest

Silly Me

I just re-read your entry and realized you had your HTP in 2005. Have you been happy with your results? Did you have many follow up visits?

Dr. Lam likes to have follow ups at aprox. the 3 month, 6 months and year. (oh and of course the day after the proceedure).

9. DallasMom

DallasMom Guest

wall - I actually had my procedure done 2 weeks ago today. All of my scabs have flaked off and now I just need to try to relax and wait until this time next year...I wish it didn't take so long! :D

10. wall

wall Guest

11. Janices

Janices Guest

DallasMom & wall,

I have an appt on Sat with a hair transplant doctor for the first time. I was wondering if, in retrospect, there were questions that you didn't ask that you wish you would have asked. Any info you can enlighten me with would be most appreciated. I'm very nervous, but yet still excited. I know I'll forget half of my questions. Luckily, my husband is going to come with me.

12. DallasMom

DallasMom Guest

Janice - first of all - congratulations on making the appointment. It took me well over a year to get up the courage. Once I had a consultantion, I felt a wave of relief that I did indeed have an option to address my hairloss issues. I think it is very important to ask your Dr. what percentage of his patients are females. Does he only do hair transplant or does he perform other cosmetic services? I would try to find someone that only does hair transplant. As females, we often have different expectations than men do. I asked my Dr. alot of questions about how I would look and feel following the procedure so that I could guage how I would handle it with my family and work. Your Dr. should go over all of the basics with you regarding what a procedure would be like and will perform a thorough review of your hair/hairloss areas to determine if you are a good candidate for a procedure, set expectations for what he can / cannot accomplish, and provide you with an estimate for the procedure. The one thing that I did not ask my Dr was ...for references. I felt like I was picking a well known Dr. in his field so I did not do this. A lot of men on different sites that I've been on do ask for references so that they can call patients and ask for themselves.

I wish you the best and hope that your appointment goes well! :D

13. Janices

Janices Guest

DallasMom,

I have to admit that I didn't make the appt. My husband did. I didn't have the courage to do it. He knew I would never get the guts to do it. I am excited about going, but worried about 1) is he any good; 2) will my expectations be too high; 3) will I look "funny" and if so for how long, etc... I'm sure you know the drill. I live in So. California (LA/OC area), so I should be able to find a good hair transplant dr. How did you go about determining your dr. was good? Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

I'll post again after the consult.

14. Janices

Janices Guest

DallasMom,

I had my consult on Saturday afternoon. I was so nervous that I almost threw up. I don't know that this dr. is the one to do it. I did ask about the percentage of women patients he has and it was pretty low - about 10% - but I guess that is the industry average. I did a search for his last name on a different hairloss website and he didn't get the most favorable of reviews. I'm glad I went and at least have a better idea of what to ask about.

I do have a few (well, maybe more than a few) questions for you if you would be willing to answer them. How did they extract the donor hairs? Did you have much shock loss? How big was the instrument your dr. used to place the grafts in? Did any (or how much) of your preexisting hair get cut by the instrument the dr. used? Could anyone else detect anything was done immediately after the procedure?

I'm sure I"ll come up with more questions, but I thought it would be helpful to compare notes.
    Thanks,
    Janice

15. Lily

Lily Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I had a consultation last fall--really liked the dr. and would have him do it but he told me I'm not the best candidate or the worst. With those odds, I don't know that I'd spend all that $$. He was very clear in what I should know about my expectations vs. the results. I have a lot of diffuse thinning up top. He does about a "goose egg" size transplant at a time so I could have several and that might give me enought to do a combover sort of hairdo to hide other thin areas. To get the kind of coverage I want I suppose it would mean 4-5 procedures--#1, a lot of money and #2 I don't think my donor area is that red hot. Of course, there's no guarantee that the hair follicle that is transplanted won't eventually go the way so many others of mine have gone.

16. wall

wall Guest

Sorry for the delayed response...

I guess in retrospect... I would have asked how long the "akward" period lasts.... and if there will be an akward period. What I mean: I am just at 7 months post hair transplant and I am VERY happy with my results. I see a great deal of hair growth. My other issues is that the hair at the hair line is much shorter than the rest of my hair.... it is as if I am growing out bangs right now.

I do think I had some shock loss, but I am not sure if it was from the proceedure or another operation I had a month after the hair transplant. However, the hairs that did initially fall out, have grown back..... it is exciting to watch the hair grow in.....

I had heared great things about Dr. Lam and his Hair Transplant Coordinator (Emina)... but I would ask if they have had any less than optimal results with women. What the worst case senerio would be.... To see pictures and if possible talk to someone who has already had the proceedure....

Hope that helps.....

17. moviegirl

moviegirl Guest

DallasMom,

Congrats on the new hair transplant procedure. I know you're glad to have it behind you and are looking forward to great results!!!

Best,
    Moviegirl

18. DallasMom

DallasMom Guest

Moviegirl - so good to hear from you! How is your latest hair transplant coming along? Seeing lots of growth?

I'm really glad that I went ahead with my hair transplant in December, but I'm anticipating that I'm not going to be satisfied with the results. I went in to the procedure with the expectation that the Dr. was going to focus on the top of my head/hairline and put a "few" grafts in the temple area. In the end, I ended up with the grafts mostly in the temple area and very few on the top in back of the hairline. I will have to start planning my second procedure for later this year and not take the valium this time so that I can be a bit more aware of what is actually going on. :) I'm sure that the extra hair in the temple areas will be nice to have though...just anxious to cover up some of the bare scalp that prevails on the top! :D

19. moviegirl

moviegirl Guest

Hi DallasMom,

I am so happy for you. I know the fear and trepidation that goes along with having a first hair transplant. You don't know what to expect and it's easy for the blood pressure to go up due to nerves. (it happened to me)
    I think it's great you already know what you want and planning what you want done the next time around :) The most exciting part is the week before--you get the calender out and count down the days. Remember, you have a voice and the doctor can't read your mind.

Again,congrats!
    Moviegirl

20. Petunia

Petunia Guest

DallasMom-
    I have never been in this section of the forum so this is the first time I read about hair transplant and see that there's another MOM that lost most of her hair after giving birth!!! I hope you see this reply!

I have a question for you, what made you pick the florida dr. over Dr. Lam? I ask bc I'm in Plano and of course being able to see Dr. Lam would be ideal bc of location but I'm curious..
    TIA!