Dismiss Notice
Welcome! Please read this announcement regarding the new Forums: Click Here"

Recovery from TE - what are the chances?

Discussion in 'Women's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by JeHope, Dec 15, 2011.

1. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know that many users on this site have been members for a long time and have read many people's stories. So I was wondering, what are the chances of full recovery from TE? I just feel like I haven't found too many success stories on the discussion boards and read more about women having TE for years! I can't do this for years!!

My TE has been going for about 5 months. I believe it was caused by an antidepressant I am no longer on (I stopped taking it 4 months ago). I am 24, and all of my blood work is completely normal. I just want to have hope that the shedding will stop, and soon!! And I am scared to hit that 6 month mark where it apparently becomes CTE.

2. sadness

sadness Guest

I am in the same boat you are. I originally thought TE as well. I am waiting to get the blood testing that you have already gotten. Did they really not find any reason at all? That scares me. Although maybe you ARE going through a nasty bout of TE and will recover.

I have PMS symptoms (ie painful breast swollen belly etc missed periods) for the last 3 month so I think mine is not only TE but something more serious. :(

This is such a scary thing and I dont read many success stories here and I guess the idea is that people who have improved have moved on, but I know that I would come back for sure to give others hope. This is the worst feeling to see a big pile of hair on the floor when I dry every morning.

Do you have any regrowth? I do have some and I got excited because the shedding slowed for awhile and now its probably on 70 instead of 200 but it is still way too much. Noone should lose 70 hairs at one time. My growth could never keep up.

Did you have any hormone levels or thyroid checked? What tests did you ask for? I will have to be prepared to hold my drs hand when the time comes. Do you have any other symptoms besides hairloss?

Best of luck to you and I hope you wake up one morning and it has just STOPPED! I know its unlikely but a girl can hope cant she?

Take care,Melissa

3. JeHope

JeHope Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think I have some regrowth because there are hairs about a 1/2 inch long all over, but I am still losing around 100/day. I know that's not that much to shed but I have VERY thin hair so there's not much to lose!

It does sound like your TE is hormone related! See this link for blood tests you should have:

http://herhairlosshelp.com/2009/01/bloo ... one-first/

I pretty much had everything on that list checked. I don't know why but I always hoped that something would come back abnormal so I could be 100% sure on what is causing my hair loss!

4. Vlal

Vlal Guest

I have seen/heard of some women with TE/CTE that resolves within the first year to 18 months - it seems to depend on causation. In those people for whom diet has been a big factor, having a proper balanced diet/good nutrition seems to aid resolution. The same goes for women who have TE purely as a result of giving birth - sometimes it takes longer than the derms have indicated for the hair to recover.

The doctors/derms make a big song and dance about it resolving within 6 months - but it seems to me that even if shedding slows down/ceases at this point, the hair regrowth takes longer to be totally noticeable and complete resolution after 6 months of heavy shedding would definitely take some months of regrowth. The people who I see not recovering tend to be those who have either no known cause, a mixture of causes (some of which are uncontrollable/unalterable) and/or those who find that Androgenetic Alopecia is unmasked by the TE.

HTH